Maher's Digital World

Documentaries

Offline scarface

Re: Documentaries
« Reply #210 on: August 31, 2019, 09:50 AM »
Today, the Yellow jackets are protesting for the 42th straight week.

The yellow vests took to the streets this Saturday, August 31st in Paris as part of Act 42. In addition to the French capital, demonstrations are planned near the French-Swiss border, in response to the call of Priscillia Ludosky, one of the figures of the movement.

The main mission of the Castaner government: Serve and protect the tax evaders.
In a bar of Saint Etienne, I remember I saw this picture.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 10:34 AM by scarface »

Offline scarface

« Reply #211 on: September 01, 2019, 02:50 PM »
Tonight, I'm going to talk about Hurricane Dorian.

Hurricane Dorian is about to hit the Bahamas, then Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas – Lately it strengthened and it's the most violent hurricane ever seen.

Hurricane Dorian, a Category 5 storm nearing the Bahamas as of Sunday morning, is slowly churning towards Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas, where it is expected to bring "life-threatening storm surge and devastating hurricane-force winds" starting Monday night after it moves over the northwestern Bahamas throughout Sunday.

Specifically, Google projections place the hurricane's path directly over the island of Great Abaco. The National Hurricane Center (NHC) has issued a hurricane warning for the northwestern Bahamas, where tropical-storm-force winds are expected over the weekend.

The storm will reach the island on Sunday, bringing hurricane-force winds, up to 20 inches of rain, a "life-threatening storm surge" of 10 to 15 feet, and "large and destructive waves," according to the NHC.

Dorian is then projected to move towards Florida, nearing the state's east coast late Monday. While the forecast cone is wider as the hurricane approaches the coast, Google's Sunday morning projections no longer show landfall in Florida, veering north instead toward the coasts of Georgia and the Carolinas.
Both Florida and South Carolina have declared states of emergency, with the latter declaring on Saturday in the wake of the new hurricane trajectory.

Offline humbert

« Reply #212 on: September 02, 2019, 08:47 PM »
Tonight, I'm going to talk about Hurricane Dorian.
Hurricane Dorian is about to hit the Bahamas, then Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas – Lately it strengthened and it's the most violent hurricane ever seen.

Dorian is NOT the most violent hurricane ever seen. That honor belongs to Camille in 1969. It landed near the Alabama-Mississippi border with sustained winds of 190 mph (over 300 kmh). Fortunately in landed in an area that back then was mostly uninhabited. Andrew hit the southern part of Miami in 1992, making landfall as a Category 5 storm. I remember it vividly even though I was living north of ground zero.

I'm happy I was able to sell my house in Miami and move to San Antonio back in 2011. No more hurricanes! The bad part isn't the storm itself, it after the storm. Wreckage everwhere and no electricity. It's not easy trying to sleep when the temp is around 29°C and the humidity is 80% or higher.

Offline scarface

« Reply #213 on: September 07, 2019, 06:37 AM »
Dorian is NOT the most violent hurricane ever seen. That honor belongs to Camille in 1969. It landed near the Alabama-Mississippi border with sustained winds of 190 mph (over 300 kmh). Fortunately in landed in an area that back then was mostly uninhabited. Andrew hit the southern part of Miami in 1992, making landfall as a Category 5 storm. I remember it vividly even though I was living north of ground zero.

I'm happy I was able to sell my house in Miami and move to San Antonio back in 2011. No more hurricanes! The bad part isn't the storm itself, it after the storm. Wreckage everwhere and no electricity. It's not easy trying to sleep when the temp is around 29°C and the humidity is 80% or higher.
Apparently you vividly remember Hurricane Camille in 1969.
Well, I went to Florida in December 2000 and I have good souvenirs of this trip. I remember I played tennis and I took my tee-shirt off because it was pretty warm, but it was not allowed, I was asked to get it back on. At this time I was sleeping at Gerard's. He died of aneurysm at the end of December 2017 in Bogota. He went there because it was too expensive to go to the dentist in Florida.

Offline humbert

« Reply #214 on: September 07, 2019, 08:29 PM »
Apparently you vividly remember Hurricane Camille in 1969.

I was very young at the time but I vaguely remember the news reports and subsequently the reports of measurements taken. If this monster has hit [for example] New Orleans, the devastation would have been unimaginable. Fortunately ground zero was largely uninhabited at the time.

Well, I went to Florida in December 2000 and I have good souvenirs of this trip. I remember I played tennis and I took my tee-shirt off because it was pretty warm, but it was not allowed, I was asked to get it back on.

Where was this? Obviously not at a private home or anything like that. Also - were you in direct sunlight? If so they did you a favor, it doesn't take too long to get a pretty bad sunburn in Florida. As you know, the lighter your complexion the worse the sunburn.

Offline scarface

« Reply #215 on: September 08, 2019, 05:11 AM »
Where was this? Obviously not at a private home or anything like that. Also - were you in direct sunlight? If so they did you a favor, it doesn't take too long to get a pretty bad sunburn in Florida. As you know, the lighter your complexion the worse the sunburn.
It was at Gerard's home, in Naples. As for the sunburns, I guess the risk was pretty low since it was in Winter.
Because Earth is an oblate spheroid, when the Sun comes in at a lower angle, its rays pass through more atmosphere before reaching us. The sun's rays are spending more time getting filtered.

Offline humbert

« Reply #216 on: September 08, 2019, 09:10 PM »
It was at Gerard's home, in Naples.

Why would Gerard be upset if you removed your shirt? It's not like you're dropping your pants.

As for the sunburns, I guess the risk was pretty low since it was in Winter.
Because Earth is an oblate spheroid, when the Sun comes in at a lower angle, its rays pass through more atmosphere before reaching us. The sun's rays are spending more time getting filtered.

I know all that, but remember Naples is at approximately 26° latitude and even in winter the sun's rays will be more direct than at higher latitudes. Sunburn depends on factors such as the angle of the sun, time of exposure, how dark your skin is, etc. You can still get sunburn during winter in Florida, it'll just take longer.

Incidentally, did I misread or did you say Gerard died because he couldn't afford an American dentist and had to travel to Bogotá for treatment? If so it doesn't make sense unless he had something very severe.

Offline scarface

« Reply #217 on: September 09, 2019, 01:52 PM »
Why would Gerard be upset if you removed your shirt? It's not like you're dropping your pants.
Apparently it was bothering some old neighbours.

Incidentally, did I misread or did you say Gerard died because he couldn't afford an American dentist and had to travel to Bogotá for treatment? If so it doesn't make sense unless he had something very severe.
Gerard was French. he left France when he was a student and lived like undocumented migrants for years before he could obtain the American nationality. Of course, he was speaking French, English and also Spanish. He was working 60 hours a week to sell cars. Certain months, he was not even earning money. When he divorced he bought the house back from his wife. He was indebted. Despite a house in Naples, there won't be anything left.
As for the cost of the dentist, I know that it was costing 25000$ vs 5000$ in Colombia.

On the forum we have many users. Many are coming from Asia: India Pakistan or Indonesia. Others come from the Near East: Palestine, Saudi Arabia or Egypt. But few come from the US. They are probably too busy working.
If you can, watch the price of the American Dream: https://vimeo.com/242099372
Allegedly, the directors of this documentary tried to do the same one in Palestine (the price of the Palestinian dream). On the beaches of the Gaza strip, they tried to find workers. But they couldn't find any! In the streets they stumbled upon goats and chickens. All of them had a mighty grin. And they were not working either! This is why Palestinians have to ask Israelis if they can open a paypal account: they will be children all their lives.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 02:56 PM by scarface »

Offline humbert

« Reply #218 on: September 09, 2019, 09:45 PM »
Apparently it was bothering some old neighbours.

Being a guest in someone's home obviously you have to go by the rules. But a neighbor? They have no right to tell you what to do if you're not on their property. And of course, you're not a woman - what you tried to do is perfectly legal.

As for the cost of the dentist, I know that it was costing 25000$ vs 5000$ in Colombia.

What exactly was the nature of his illness? It must have been severe. I realize dentistry isn't cheap here, but $25,000 is ridiculously high unless we're talking something very major. The same logic applies to Bogotá at $5,000. Incidentally, medicine is Colombia is pretty advanced unless you go to a cut-rate street dentist. $5000 means he either went for top-of-the-line or had the misfortune of running into a quack dentist.

As a French citizen, couldn't he have taken advantage of the EU's medical/dental system? As far as I know it's either free or at least very affordable, certainly more than here or possibly Colombia.

This is why Palestinians have to ask Israelis if they can open a paypal account: they will be children all their lives.

It's never occurred to me to ask Maher why he can't have his own Paypal account. I don't understand why the Israelis would deny him or any other Palestinian the privelege. He has a credit card.

Offline scarface

« Reply #219 on: September 10, 2019, 05:30 PM »
What exactly was the nature of his illness? It must have been severe. I realize dentistry isn't cheap here, but $25,000 is ridiculously high unless we're talking something very major. The same logic applies to Bogotá at $5,000. Incidentally, medicine is Colombia is pretty advanced unless you go to a cut-rate street dentist. $5000 means he either went for top-of-the-line or had the misfortune of running into a quack dentist.
He probably needed a few implants...