• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Documentaries

Started by aa1234779, August 20, 2017, 07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

It turned out that the man arrested at Glasgow Airport is not Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès.

French and Scottish investigators today ruled that fingerprints of the man detained in Glasgow yesterday do not match those of missing suspect Dupont.
It comes after sources in Paris claimed the businessman allegedly arrived at Glasgow International Airport from Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris.

Dupont, a devout catholic, has been actively sought by police since his disappearance, was subject to an Interpol red notice and has been “sighted” many times over the years.

scarface

Today, in La Défense, anti-globalization activists wanted to put Total, Amazon and BNP Paribas out of service.

Forty activists covered the headquarters of several multinationals on Saturday to denounce their role in climate change.
On Saturday, October 12th, at 9:00, about 40 activists from Attac redecorated Total's headquarters in La Défense with banners, also covering the black gouache windows with fire extinguishers and affixing a large poster. on the glass facade, on which one could read: "Danger: Total, Out of service. Harmful for you and the planet. Dickens Kamugisha was also present, the executive director of the NGO Afiego who, with Friends of the Earth France, is preparing to sue Total for its "mega-petroleum" project in Uganda.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to hold a conference about the onion shortage in Bangladesh.

A man works at an onion wholesale market in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

In a bid to mitigate an onion crisis in its local markets, Bangladesh has decided to import 300 tons of the vegetable from Pakistan after nearly 15 years, despite strained diplomatic relations between the two countries in recent years.

Relations between Islamabad and Dhaka have never recovered from the 1971 war, when Bangladeshi nationalists broke away from what was then West Pakistan. Most recently, relations have been marred by the trials of prisoners taken in Bangladesh during the war nearly five decades ago. Pakistan publicly condemned the trial process by Dhaka, which the latter considered an interference into its internal affairs.

The surprise decision to import from Pakistan was taken during a government-level discussion on Friday, when Bangladesh’s Tasho Enterprise finalized the deal with Karachi-based Roshan Enterprise, as reported by Pakistan’s The News International.

Last September, following a ban on onion exports in India, the price of onions in Bangladesh rose threefold.

Experts in Bangladesh said the rise of trade relations between Pakistan and Bangladesh, especially with the new “onion diplomacy” could prove to have some positive impact over diplomatic relations between Dhaka and Islamabad.

“With this onion diplomacy, there is the chance of expanding trade relations between the countries,” Dr. Delwar Hossain of Dhaka University told Arab News, adding: “It will definitely have a good impact on diplomatic relations but I would not say it will create a new era of their relationship overnight.

“As a whole, if Bangladesh reviews its foreign policy in a pragmatic context, the latest onion import trading may take a positive turn in terms of diplomatic relations,” Hossain said.

Last year, Dhaka did not approve the appointment of a new Pakistan high commissioner in Bangladesh.

Islamabad has been waiting for the appointment’s approval for over a year, though it is expected to come soon, sources inside Pakistan’s Dhaka mission said.

Former Bangladesh Ambassador to the US Humayun Kabir told Arab News that the onion trade could open up a window for better diplomatic relations if the political leadership of both countries wanted it to, but that it was still too early to consider it a diplomatic win.

“Bangladesh needs onions and so we are importing them from Pakistan. But at this moment, there is not enough scope to attach it with diplomacy,” Kabir said.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to hold another conference about the Paris agreement which was adopted in December 2015.

Look at the maps below.

An environmental and economic disaster from human-induced climate change is on the horizon.

To achieve the Paris Agreement’s most ambitious goal of keeping global warming below 1.5°C (2.7°F)
above pre-industrial levels requires reducing global greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 50 percent by

An analysis of current commitments to reduce emissions between 2020 and 2030 shows that 75 percent of the climate pledges are partially or totally insufficient to contribute to reducing GHG emissions by 50 percent by 2030, and some of these pledges are unlikely to be achieved.
Of the 184 climate pledges, 36 were deemed sufficient (19 percent), 12 partially sufficient (6 percent), 8 partially insufficient (10 percent) and 128 insufficient (65 percent). Because the climate pledges are voluntary, technicalities, loopholes and conditions continue to postpone decisive global action to reduce emissions and address climate change.
All countries need to reduce emissions to meet the Paris Agreement targets, although not all countries have equal responsibility because of the principle of differentiated responsibility, historical emissions, current per person emissions and the need to develop. Emissions from the top four emitters combined account for 56 percent of global GHG emissions â€"China (26.8 percent), the United States (13.1 percent), the European Union and its 28 Member States (9 percent) and India (7 percent). The analysis of their pledges show that:
• China, the largest emitter, is expected to meet its pledge of “reducing its carbon intensity by 60-65
percent from 2005 levels by 2030” (or the amount of CO 2 emissions per unit of GDP).
However, China’s CO 2 emissions increased by 80 percent between 2005 and 2018 and are expected to continue to increase for the next decade given its projected rate of economic growth.
• In 2015 the United States committed to reducing “GHG emissions by 26-28 percent from 2005 levels by 2025”. However, the current administration announced the United States withdrawal from the Paris Agreement and has cut federal regulations meant to curb emissions. State and local efforts are being implemented to try and meet the United States pledge. These efforts are mainly focused on electricity generation and automobile emissions.
• The European Union and its 28 Member States committed to reduce GHG emissions “at least 40 percent from 1990 level” by 2030. The EU and its Member States are on track to cut GHG emissions by 58 percent by 2030.
• India’s emissions are growing rapidly. Its pledge to reduce “the emissions intensity (of all GHGs) of its GDP by 30-35 percent from 2005 level by 2030” is expected be met.
However, India’s GHG emissions increased by about 76 percent between 2005 and 2017 and, like China, are expected to continue to increase until 2030 due to economic growth.

The Russian Federation, the fifth largest GHG emitter, has not even submitted its plan to cut emissions yet.

From the remaining 152 pledges, 126 are partially or totally dependent on international finance, technology and capacity building for their implementation. A portion of these commitments may not be implemented because little international support has been materialized.
Thus, at least 130 nations, including 4 of the top 5 world’s largest emitters, are falling far short of contributing to meeting the 50 percent global emission reductions required by 2030 to limit the global temperature increase to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels.

scarface

Today, I'm going to talk about the predicament of the French farmers.

The users of the forum probably don't know this worrying statistic: Every two days, one farmer in France commits suicide.
The pressure to produce and earn a living is too difficult. As well as their everyday tasks, farmers also have to care for the animals day and night, all year long. Christmas, wedding celebrations and birthday parties all get cut short, because the milking still needs to be done. The work never lets up.
In Palestine or in India the fate of the farmers is certainly better since they are not subjected to a productivist pressure. What's more, in France the wholesale distribution is imposing ridiculous price levels. More and more farmers have to turn to local markets to earn a living.

That's why farmers are very pissed off. And they are to stage a major protest on Wednesday - using 1,000 tractors to form rolling roadblocks on roads in the Paris area.

The demonstration is being staged by the two main farming unions in protest at what they say is consistent 'agri bashing' and government policies that harm french agriculture.

The tractors, which are being driven up from regions including Hauts-de-France, Normandy, Ile-de-France, Grand-Est, Centre-Val-de-Loire and Bourgogne-Franche-Comté, will converge in the greater Paris Île-de-France region at 6am on Wednesday, November 27th. If you are currently in Ile de France, you should not use your car since there are already traffic jams and blocked roads.

scarface

Today, I'm going to talk about the COP25. And it seems it's a failure despite the presence of Greta Thunberg.

Largest countries silent as world seeks action on climate.

Ministers are meeting in Madrid, but they have failed to secure updated commitments from the largest polluters.

As diplomats scramble to finalise the rules of the Paris Agreement at the UN climate talks, the world awaits a concrete sign of countries’ readiness to boost climate action.
If that arrives, it will be in the form of a legalistic ‘decision’ on ‘ambition’ approved by all nations as the Cop25 talks close in Madrid. The Chilean Cop presidency had sought to convene a group of nations at into a vanguard for climate action.

On Wednesday, Cop25 president Carolina Schmidt announced that 73 small and developing countries had signalled their intention to enhance their climate plans and 72 countries working to achieve net zero emissions by 2050 joined a high ambition coalition launched in New York in September.
Meanwhile China, India, Brazil and Saudi Arabia have made no indications of their willingness to enhance their ambition. The US is leaving the Paris Agreement. Australia is on the record saying it will not change its goal.
“The world’s largest countries don’t want to be pushed to declare anything this year,” said Laurence Tubiana, head of the European Climate Foundation.
“We should not accept any type of silence on commitment,” said Spanish environment minister Teresa Ribera.

On the day Greta Thunberg was named Time Magazine person of the year for inspiring a wave of climate activism across the world, Jennifer Morgan, executive director of Greenpeace, said: “I have never seen the divide between what is happening between the inside of these walls and the outside so large.”

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to talk about the latest news concerning Trump:  Trump’s campaign is suing The New York Times !
Bernie Sanders calls him a dictator.

President Donald Trump’s campaign sued The New York Times on Wednesday for libel over an opinion article, saying the newspaper published its allegedly false claims last year with the “intentional purpose” of damaging Trump’s chances for reelection this year.

The campaign said that the Times falsely reported “as fact a conspiracy with Russia” in the op-ed written by Max Frankel, which was published on March 27, 2019, under the headline “The Real Trump-Russia Quid Pro Quo.”

Frankel is a former executive editor of the newspaper.

The lawsuit, which was filed in New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan, claims “millions” of dollars in damages, but does not give a specific monetary amount.

Among other things, the suit alleges that the newspaper “has engaged in a systematic pattern of bias” against Trump’s campaign, which is designed to damage the campaign’s reputation and cause it to fail.

A Times spokesman said, “The Trump Campaign has turned to the courts to try to punish an opinion writer for having an opinion they find unacceptable.”

“Fortunately, the law protects the right of Americans to express their judgments and conclusions, especially about events of public importance. We look forward to vindicating that right in this case,” the spokesman said.

Frankel declined to comment.

“No, I’m going to leave that to The Times,” he told CNBC.

Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont, an independent who is seeking the Democratic presidential nomination, said that Trump was “taking a page from his dictator friends around the world” by “trying to dismantle the right to a free press in the First Amendment by suing The New York Times for publishing an opinion column about his dangerous relationship with Russia.”

The so-called subhead, or secondary headline on Frankel’s article said, “The campaign and the Kremlin had an overarching deal: help beat Hillary Clinton for a new pro-Russian foreign policy.”

Frankel wrote, in the article’s first paragraph, that during the 2016 election, “There was no need for detailed electoral collusion between the Trump campaign and Vladimir Putin’s oligarchy because they had an overarching deal: the quid of help in the campaign against Hillary Clinton for the quo of a new pro-Russian foreign policy, starting with relief from the Obama administration’s burdensome economic sanctions.”

“The Trumpites knew about the quid and held out the prospect of the quo,” Frankel wrote.

The lawsuit, in its opening sentence, noted the article’s subhead and Frankel’s lead paragraph.

“The Times was well aware when it published these statements that they were not true,” the suit said.

“The Times’ own previous reporting had confirmed the falsity of these statements,” the suit said.

“There was no ‘deal’ and no ‘quid pro quo’ between the Campaign or anyone affiliated with it, and Vladimir Putin or the Russian government,” the suit stated.

And the suit also said that “the falsity of the story has been confirmed” by the report issued in April 2019 by then-special counsel Robert Mueller, who investigated Russian interference in the 2016 election.

“But The Times published these statements anyway, knowing them to be false, and knowing it would misinform and mislead its own readers, because of The Times’ extreme bias against and animosity toward the Campaign, and The Times’ exuberance to improperly influence the presidential election in November 2020”

Jenna Ellis, a legal advisor for Trump’s campaign, said the statements in Frankel’s article “were and are 100 percent false and defamatory.”

“The complaint alleges The Times was aware of the falsity at the time it published them, but did so for the intentional purpose of hurting the campaign, while misleading its own readers in the process,” Ellis said.

Trump has repeatedly called suggestions that his campaign colluded with Russian agents during the 2016 “a hoax.”

Last year, Times CEO Mark Thompson called Trump’s verbal attacks against individual journalists “stupid” and “dangerous.”

“The president is entirely entitled to not like everything he reads in The New York Times, I get that,” Thompson said in June at the CNBC Evolve forum in New York.

“He has every right to say he doesn’t like the way we cover him or cover anything else. So this is not saying we shouldn’t be criticized,” Thompson said.

“But actually isolating journalists, as a group, not just the Times, but the whole industry, is a really frankly hostile, stupid but also dangerous thing to do.”

aa1234779

Hello everyone..
It's really nice to visit the forum again and see that scarface is still relentlessly posting his stuff for everyone..
How are u all..
I've been doing ok..
Mostly watching good stuff on Youtube which I will share some of here..

1-Joe Rogan's podcast... It's fun & educational..
Lately he's had a Michael Olsterholm who's an expert on infection disease..
13 million people have watched the episode so far to learn about Covid-19
the Corona virus.. I ask Allah Almighty to protect u all & all the good people in the world
from this unseen thing that's got the world down to her knees..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw
As you all might expect.. I also watched many of his episodes including the ones with Alex Jones.. Jordan Peterson.. Sargon of Akkad..
and the list goes on.. as I said.. fun & educational..

2-Jordan Peterson content.. interviews videos..
and I saw the documentary about him.. "The Rise of Jordan Peterson" which was on Amazon Prime..
He's a good person & a great western intellectual & thinker.. I pray that he & his wife have good health and we see him soon debating the issues of our times..

3- SomeOrdinaryGamers - an Indian Canadian's channel that absolutely kicks ***!

4- Professor Dave Explains - making scientific stuff simple.. I mostly admire how he absolutely debunks flat-earth theory..

I also watched a documentary called (Above Majestic) and I think it's either batshitcrazy or possible.. who knows..
I recommend!

Also.. If I may make a request...
How about we start a thread on what we can do during isolation due to the Corona virus?
Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said “Surah (chapter of) Hud and its sisters turned my hair gray"

Hud (11)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiqxo4UDVfU

scarface

Quote from: aa1234779 on March 27, 2020, 06:16 AM
Also.. If I may make a request...
How about we start a thread on what we can do during isolation due to the Corona virus?
Well, do it...
Since you are talking about isolation, I guess you are isolated.
But right here, in Clermont Ferrand, I must say I am taking the risk to go out. This morning I went to the supermarket to buy another great bottle of wine. It will be the occasion to present another recipe tonight (it is currently 4.30 am here, but I am awake). Note that there are controls mainly in public places. Therefore train stations or parks should be avoided. I read that one million people left the Paris region. It is pretty understandable since there is no more food in the supermarkets and the people go back to the countryside to find food. What is more, the police is less reluctant to give fines in the biggest towns (In Paris the police is always on the edge).
Here you can find a few pictures of what is going on: https://news.konbini.com/societe/en-plein-confinement-les-rues-vides-de-paris-documentees-par-bichara/
Besides, you can find some movies on the forum, but in all likelihood you must have already watched most of them.

scarface

I have got some good news for the users of the forum:

France extends coronavirus lockdown by two weeks to April 15.
French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said in a speech the government had decided to extend the country's coronavirus lockdown by two weeks until April 15.

"After these first 10 days of confinement, it is clear that we are just at the beginning of this epidemic wave. It has submerged eastern France and now it is arriving in the Paris region and northern France," Philippe said.

He said for this reason, the confinement period would be extended by two weeks from Tuesday next week, and added that the same rules would apply. He said that this period would only be extended again if the health situation required it.

Note that I am going to release a new version of windows 10 x64 with new patches and drivers.