• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

best clips

Started by scarface, February 26, 2013, 12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: scarface on October 19, 2021, 01:42 AM
In a previous message, Humbert was led to believe there is no poverty in Saudi Arabia.
Of course this video doesn't show it, but it is estimated that 20% of the Saudi citizens live in poverty. For decades, successive Saudi governments have done little to alleviate the suffering of their country’s poor. They have been reluctant to openly talk about their existence because recognising poverty necessitates recognising income inequality and the unfair distribution of wealth in the oil-rich country.

I didn't think there would be poverty in Saudi Arabia, let alone an estimated 20%. All you see is very modern and very tight control of just about everything. Where exactly are these poor people? Are there any smuggled photos of beggars, people suffering from malnutrition, or homeless people sleeping in the street? Are there any horror stories from reliable sources? It's true those in the Saudi government cares only about enriching themselves, nobody doubts that. They're also doing an excellent job in hiding these people, especially when you consider it's 1/5 of their population.

My memory fails me. What is the name of the Saudi guy who was posting all sorts of things about the royal family? I wish he were here to tell us more.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on October 19, 2021, 04:37 AM
Quote from: scarface on October 19, 2021, 01:42 AM
In a previous message, Humbert was led to believe there is no poverty in Saudi Arabia.
Of course this video doesn't show it, but it is estimated that 20% of the Saudi citizens live in poverty. For decades, successive Saudi governments have done little to alleviate the suffering of their country’s poor. They have been reluctant to openly talk about their existence because recognising poverty necessitates recognising income inequality and the unfair distribution of wealth in the oil-rich country.

I didn't think there would be poverty in Saudi Arabia, let alone an estimated 20%. All you see is very modern and very tight control of just about everything. Where exactly are these poor people? Are there any smuggled photos of beggars, people suffering from malnutrition, or homeless people sleeping in the street? Are there any horror stories from reliable sources? It's true those in the Saudi government cares only about enriching themselves, nobody doubts that. They're also doing an excellent job in hiding these people, especially when you consider it's 1/5 of their population.

My memory fails me. What is the name of the Saudi guy who was posting all sorts of things about the royal family? I wish he were here to tell us more.

From what I've heard, it's said that a lot of the countries in that region get cheap workers from the region around india and basically use them as slaves, only giving the bare necessities for survival. And not enough money to ever travel home or escape the life they get trapped in. That they have to use all their money for shelter + food for the day.
How would they ever consider going there then? Tricked into thinking they will live a lavish life and start over..

scarface

It would have been hard to argue about social tensions amidst rampant poverty in a town like Monaco. However, as far as Saudi Arabia is concerned, the rampant poverty and inequality in the country may surprise a lot of people, but certainly not a man of culture and a scholar like you.
If the ruling family of the KSA doesn't need to stand in line at the soup kitchen, it doesn't mean everyone benefits from the oil bonanza.
I advise you to read the following article titled "Rich Nation, Poor People: Saudi Arabia" by Lynsey Addario: https://time.com/3679537/rich-nation-poor-people-saudi-arabia/

You are probably talking about aa1234779. Saudi or not, I know he has been to Egypt and Saudi Arabia indeed. Maybe he is visiting other countries, who knows?
I checked some links yesterday in the "best movies" topic, and he was there not so long ago to give his impressions. Some of them were pretty useful I think.
As for his political involvement, I understood that he was not in a position to give comments on the work of the aforementioned institutions.

scarface

Tonight, new videos are available on the forum.

In a previous message, we have seen that humbert and shadow.97 seemed interested in issues related to Saudi Arabia. That’s why 2 videos about SA are available tonight.
Inside Saudi Arabia: The Power of the Holy Cities
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjTBwSMHjo8

Inside Saudi Arabia: How the Elite Blindly Supports the Royal Family
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IalIcXBZIi4

Supermarkets: The End of an Empire?
The supermarket chains used to seem unbeatable, capturing the lion’s share of the grocery market. But for some years now they have been in crisis. In the wake of a fierce price war, retailers are resorting to increasingly aggressive commercial negotiation methods at the expense of suppliers, farmers and producers.
A documentary in French with English subtitles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2S3w6igz-c

Monkey protects cat from naughty poodle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0kW8NIKBKE

humbert

Quote from: scarface on October 20, 2021, 10:08 PM
It would have been hard to argue about social tensions amidst rampant poverty in a town like Monaco. However, as far as Saudi Arabia is concerned, the rampant poverty and inequality in the country may surprise a lot of people, but certainly not a man of culture and a scholar like you.

I am hardly "a man of culture and a scholar". There's plenty I don't know and I learn something new every day. That is, of course, that you're not being sarcastic.

If the ruling family of the KSA doesn't need to stand in line at the soup kitchen, it doesn't mean everyone benefits from the oil bonanza. I advise you to read the following article titled "Rich Nation, Poor People: Saudi Arabia" by Lynsey Addario: https://time.com/3679537/rich-nation-poor-people-saudi-arabia/

I read the article. It's hard to believe in all this time a thing like is hardly mentioned in the news media at all. This given the fact that the government isn't even trying to hide it. Not only are there pictures, but even an admission by the royal family that the problem exists. There's even a prince trying to help out. The fact that Islam requires rich Muslims to help poor Muslims and that the rest of the royal family does nothing goes to show the extent of their hipocrisy.

With respect the Filipinos and others who were misled and are now essentially working as slaves, the 20% figure should not apply to them. Not because they're not poor, but because they're not Saudi citizens. In fact they're not even permanent residents.

You are probably talking about aa1234779. Saudi or not, I know he has been to Egypt and Saudi Arabia indeed. Maybe he is visiting other countries, who knows?

Yes, him exactly. While I may disagree with his views regarding religion, he is nevertheless well versed on this subject and in general. He hasn't disclosed his location because he believes doing so would make him a target.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on October 21, 2021, 05:13 AM
I am hardly "a man of culture and a scholar". There's plenty I don't know and I learn something new every day. That is, of course, that you're not being sarcastic.
I was serious. You gave enough clues that show you know a lot of things about early world history (a long time ago, you talked about the notorious Bastille prison, and not so long ago you talked about the memorial of Saint Helena for Napoleon). If French history buffs and world travelers alike may be familiar with those historical landmarks, it's not common to see a foreigner talk about them with such assurance. The memorial of Saint Helene is not a place as famous as the pyramids of Gizah.
As for Saudi Arabia, Although the government rarely releases statistics, it is estimated that around 20 percent or more of the 34 million Saudi citizens (not foreigners) live in poverty.
It's not the case in Qatar where Qatari citizens don't need to work (or are forbidden to do so). Because there are just 250,000 of them living in Qatar, the spit of land in the Gulf that sits on top of the world's third largest deposits of natural gas. The Qatari citizens are entitled to subsidies, state jobs, land grants...while Migrant workers make up a staggering 94% of the private-sector workforce. And the few Qataris who do work in the private sector mainly work for banks or oil companies.

scarface

Tonight, new videos are available on the forum.

The documentary “the real price of your Cell Phone”. This documentary is based on an episode of the French program Cash investigation and released in 2015. That’s why there are sometimes French explanations (with English subtitles).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxLHXHjpal8

The BITCOIN Unsolved Mystery. Who is the mad inventor behind the bitcoin bubble?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n_WnVPhRTo

In Florida the corpse of the executioner of the little Gabby Petito may have been found in the marshes, among the alligators.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5iOqEWzwjc

Here is a documentary for the users of the forum (humbert and Vasudev will appreciate it).
On 28 April 1945, it was discovered that Heinrich Himmler was trying to negotiate a backdoor surrender to the western Allies via Count Folke Bernadotte of Sweden. When Hitler learnt that, he threw a tantrum: Never would Germany surrender to the communists. Högl was sent to find Himmler's liaison man in Berlin, SS Gruppenführer Hermann Fegelein who had left the bunker complex. Högl caught Fegelein at his apartment apparently preparing to flee Berlin with his Hungarian mistress to Sweden or Switzerland. Fegelein had forged passports and was wearing civilian clothes. Fegelein, by that time was Eva Braun's brother-in-law. A military tribunal was ordered by Hitler to court-martial Fegelein.
On 23 April 1941, Fegelein had already faced court-martial charges for an incident in 1940 where he and his unit had been caught stealing luxury goods for transportation back to Germany. Fegelein's court-martial was quashed by direct order of Himmler. Later on, Heydrich tried several times to investigate the accusations against Fegelein. Heydrich used to check the ancestry of every SS around him and he was afraid something might be amiss about Fegelein. Had Himmler not blocked the investigations each time, Heydrich would have taken drastic measures against Fegelein.
Waffen-SS General Wilhelm Mohnke presided over the tribunal which, in addition to General Johann Rattenhuber, included Generals Hans Krebs and Wilhelm Burgdorf. Hitler thereafter condemned Fegelein to death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IShDu_y2GK4

humbert

Quote from: scarface on October 21, 2021, 01:20 PM
I was serious. You gave enough clues that show you know a lot of things about early world history (a long time ago, you talked about the notorious Bastille prison, and not so long ago you talked about the memorial of Saint Helena for Napoleon). If French history buffs and world travelers alike may be familiar with those historical landmarks, it's not common to see a foreigner talk about them with such assurance. The memorial of Saint Helene is not a place as famous as the pyramids of Gizah.

While I'm sure your compliments are sincere, I am forced to disagree. I have no college education because I dropped out after just 12 days. I couldn't take it. Later my father opened a business and, having nowhere else to go, I began working there. Of all the users on the forum I have the least amount of formal education.

With respect to what I commented about French history, you don't have to have great knowledge of the French Revolution to know about the Bastille because it all started there. I even thought there might be some sort of museum at the place where the prison was located. It was you who told me the place was destroyed. I had no clue. It is also not necessary to have extensive knowledge of the Napoleonic Wars to know how it ended. Everybody knows that after Waterloo Napoleon was sent to faraway St Helena because confining him to a place closer to home (Corsica) didn't work. Incidentally, somewhere I heard the Battle of Waterloo wasn't fought at Waterloo. It happened at a Belgian town some 40 km from there (can't remember the name). It was at Waterloo where the Duke of Wellington notified the British Crown that the battle was won.

Quote from: scarface on October 21, 2021, 01:20 PM
It's not the case in Qatar where Qatari citizens don't need to work (or are forbidden to do so). Because there are just 250,000 of them living in Qatar, the spit of land in the Gulf that sits on top of the world's third largest deposits of natural gas. The Qatari citizens are entitled to subsidies, state jobs, land grants...while Migrant workers make up a staggering 94% of the private-sector workforce. And the few Qataris who do work in the private sector mainly work for banks or oil companies.

And they managed to pay off Sepp Blatter, Michel Platini, and others at FIFA to have the 2022 World Cup played there. I would guess they're going to provide air conditioned stadiums. Playing football in 45° to 50° heat is not only impossible, it can easily kill you. And of course installing A/C in a stadium to keep cool at those temperatures doesn't come cheap.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on October 22, 2021, 05:14 AM
With respect to what I commented about French history, you don't have to have great knowledge of the French Revolution to know about the Bastille because it all started there.
In fact, the prison had become a symbol of the monarchy’s dictatorial rule, and the event became one of the defining moments in the Revolution that followed.

On 14 July 1789, the state prison on the east side of Paris, known as the Bastille, was attacked by an angry and aggressive mob. 
A medieval fortress, the Bastille’s eight 30-metre-high towers, dominated the Parisian skyline. When the prison was attacked it actually held only seven prisoners, but the mob had not gathered for them: it had come to demand the huge ammunition stores held within the prison walls. When the prison governor refused to comply, the mob charged and, after a violent battle, eventually took hold of the building. The governor was seized and killed, his head carried round the streets on a spike. The storming of the Bastille symbolically marked the beginning of the French Revolution, in which the monarchy was overthrown and a republic set up.

Quote from: humbert on October 22, 2021, 05:14 AM
I even thought there might be some sort of museum at the place where the prison was located. It was you who told me the place was destroyed.
There is no museum on the place of Bastille. However, you can see the column of July, which commemorates the 2nd French revolution of 1830.

scarface

Today, new videos are available on the forum.

In this conference, a scholar is discussing â€" and criticizing â€" the new capital project of Egypt. 
I was flabbergasted to learn that Cairo could become the largest town in the world by 2040.
In French with English subtitles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b65WlGlpJo

Does Da Vinci's The Last Supper really have a hidden meaning?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5t91VaiBYY

The world war 1 trench runner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJQQnm-WEFc

Push remix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOp9ofcre9s