• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

good movies

Started by scarface, March 01, 2013, 12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

I disagree. A movie is simply a movie and nothing more. I love movies with plenty of explicit sex and graphic violence. I also love those spooky movies with ghosts, demons and people getting killed.

Remember it's just a movie. In real life I'd never dream of engaging in any kind of violence. Explicit sex.... probably.  :)

scarface

Despite his name reminiscent of a robot, aa1234779 was trully one of the most interesting persons I knew on the forum. His encyclopedic wisdom enabled him to be a critic of choice. Lately I've watched the movie "Madrid 1987" but I don't know what to think. Will the coy Angela come back or will she refuse to see again the elderly writer?

aa1234779

Quote from: scarface on February 07, 2014, 12:08 AM
Despite his name reminiscient of a robot, aa1234779 was trully one of the most interesting persons I knew on the forum. His encyclopedic wisdom enabled him to be a critic of choice. Lately Ive seen the movie "Madrid 1987" but I dont know what to think. Will the coy Angela come back or will she refuse to see again the elderly writer?

Your words are humbling..
You have good taste in movies, one of the few forms of art that I enjoy in life..
It's about time I have a vacation to read & watch everything artful I can put my hands on..

I'm downloading a lot of stuff right now>>

Which one of the movies you recommend deserves to be first to watch? (rubs hands)  ;D
Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said “Surah (chapter of) Hud and its sisters turned my hair gray"

Hud (11)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiqxo4UDVfU

aa1234779

Besides "Family guy" & "vikings", this is not my taste.. It's the mainstream stuff that's top-seeded & highly-rated, and many times hyped & boring.. This is why I'm open to suggestions..
Downloading "jeune et jolie" it's the only one found with eng subs..

Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said “Surah (chapter of) Hud and its sisters turned my hair gray"

Hud (11)

humbert

@aa1234779 -> How do you find the time to watch all those movies you download? Or is it that you burn them to DVD and sell them?

Don't you hate that 2.35:1 aspect ratio some of those movies use and the letterbox image on your TV? Clearly this is to appease the movie theaters. Movie theaters are another technology on the way out. Good riddance!

aa1234779

Quote@aa1234779 -> How do you find the time to watch all those movies you download? Or is it that you burn them to DVD and sell them?
I keep them on an external hd to watch whenever I find the time.. Last hd I stocked up took more than a year for me to finish them, not to mention the movies that are unworthy of being watched.. This is the benefit of unlimited bandwidth..  :)

QuoteDon't you hate that 2.35:1 aspect ratio some of those movies use and the letterbox image on your TV? Clearly this is to appease the movie theaters. Movie theaters are another technology on the way out. Good riddance!
I just got used to the format these torrents are released in as long as it's at least 720p & the video isn't compressed too much.
How are theaters on the way out? As far as I know, Hollywood is still making hundreds of billions from the business.

Hud (11)

humbert

Sure enough, there are many movies out there that aren't worth the HD space. As for downloading all of them only because you have the bandwidth to do so, does having ample supplies of water mean you're going to drink 100 liters every or what?

As for the movies, let me clarify. Certainly Hollywood makes billions and will continue doing so. It's their distribution method that will change. It's analogous to what's happening to brick-and-mortar music stores or to businesses such as Blockbuster video where you physically have to go get a DVD to play. With faster bandwidth becoming more and more ubiquitous, more and more people will download movies. Since policing this will not work, Hollywood will do what the music industry did - "legalize" downloading by charging people an affordable price. Also, just a few days ago on the news it said the movie theaters are dropping their prices - attendance is dropping and fewer and fewer people are willing to pay the outrageous fees they charge.

Mark my words.

aa1234779

Just finished watching The Square (Documentary).. It tells the story of post-2011 Egypt from a revolutionary point-of-view.. Amazing film..

Hud (11)

humbert

Quote from: aa1234779 on April 01, 2014, 02:14 AM
Just finished watching The Square (Documentary).. It tells the story of post-2011 Egypt from a revolutionary point-of-view.. Amazing film..

I saw that documentary too. They had it on Netflix.

humbert

Scarface, et al. -> Many movies I download were filmed in the detestable 21:9± aspect ratio, which means when I play them on my 16:9 TV I get those disgusting black bars on the top and bottom. Can anyone recommend a program or some other way to "pan & scan" these to 16:9 and therefore get rid of those black bars?

I've looked around on Google and Youtube, but what I've run into confuses me more than helps me. My TV only stretches 4:3 to 16:9, which isn't what I'm looking for.