• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

good movies

Started by scarface, March 01, 2013, 12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: scarface on October 12, 2021, 08:24 PM
Actually I knew it and it was a mistake or rather a confusion.
And if you use the expression "go to the cinema" in Texas, maybe someone will ask you where it comes from and you'll say: it's a Gallicism: I'm learning French on a forum and I now speak it so well I'm mixing English and French !

There is no such thing as a Texan who knows the definition of the word "Gallicism", and they have no interest in learning.

scarface

Tonight, a new movie titled Fear pharm and released in 2021 is available on the forum.

Storyline: Four people enter a corn maze for Halloween and are picked off one by one by the twisted family who own the scare attraction.
Note that Fear Pharm was filmed at Cool Pumpkin Patch in Dixon, California. Cool Pumpkin Patch is the largest Corn Maze in the USA.

Link: https://ok.ru/video/2891622124070

humbert

Quote from: scarface on October 27, 2021, 09:07 PM
Storyline: Four people enter a corn maze for Halloween and are picked off one by one by the twisted family who own the scare attraction.
Note that Fear Pharm was filmed at Cool Pumpkin Patch in Dixon, California. Cool Pumpkin Patch is the largest Corn Maze in the USA.

Is there Halloween in France?

The rest of you guys on the forum: is there Halloween in your respective countries?

Just curious.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on October 28, 2021, 04:04 AMIs there Halloween in France?
Yes but it's not very popular.
One of the reasons the US-style Halloween celebration hasn't quite taken off in France is simply because it's too American. This alone has led much of French society to turn their nose up at the holiday. The locals see the celebration as being too commercialized - another reason for supermarkets and other stores to sell more candy, costumes, and alcohol. This is why you won't see as many shop windows decked out with elaborate Halloween displays.
Actually, despite having its roots in the Celtic cultures of Europe, Halloween is not a traditional holiday in France and came from North America in the 1990s and early 2000s. When I was young, it didn't even exist.
What's more Halloween is largely overshadowed by La Toussaint, a widely celebrated national holiday in France, which takes takes place the following day - November 1st - and traditionally sees the French honor the dead through flowers and special events.
Also known in English as All Saints Day, it is a widely celebrated national holiday in France.
The French don't say "trick-or-treat", instead they say "candies or a spell" (des bonbons ou un sort). However, there are not many costumed children who knock on front doors in France since this tradition isn't very strong.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on October 28, 2021, 04:04 AM
Quote from: scarface on October 27, 2021, 09:07 PM

Is there Halloween in France?

The rest of you guys on the forum: is there Halloween in your respective countries?

Just curious.

Ireland, huge yes.
Sweden, medium yes :)

humbert

This past Halloween I didn't even buy candy. Nobody knocked on my the door. This wasn't the case in past years.

I'm not too sure exactly how Halloween relates to the Celts, but I'm pretty sure the idea of dressing up and collecting candy did not start with them. I'm not even sure if it was the Americans who started it. From what I'm seeing Halloween is worldwide with the exception of totalitarian regimes such as North Korea. A few years ago I was in Colombia on the night of Oct 31st and there where children in the street going door to door collecting candy.

Commercialized? Absolutely!! Anything to make a dollar. Money is the one true god.

scarface

Today, a new movie, titled Maze Runner, and released in 2014 is available on the forum.
Maybe some of you have already watched this movie. I guess the users of the forum will appreciate this one.
It's probably the best movie of the trilogy.

Storyline:
Thomas is deposited in a community of boys after his memory is erased, soon learning they're all trapped in a maze that will require him to join forces with fellow "runners" for a shot at escape.

In English with Arabic subtitles
Link: https://ok.ru/video/1679082654246

scarface

Tonight, a strange movie, titled The mothman prophecies and released in 2002 is available on the forum.

Storyline: A reporter is drawn to a small West Virginia town to investigate a series of strange events, including psychic visions and the appearance of bizarre entities.
This movie was inspired by the real life events that took place in Point pleasant in 1966 and 1967, a 13-month period during which paranormal activity was brought to a level that infected the entire town. Then, a New York-based journalist named John Keel came to the city to investigate the phenomenon. What he discovered was a place where unexplainable things occurred with staggering regularity.

Link: https://ok.ru/video/310530869886

scarface

It's Christmas today so I wish you a happy Christmas.
And for those who need a little movie, here is another one (I don't know if it's good but the beginning of the movie looks interesting).
The movie "The Evil Down the Street" is available on the forum.

The Ryan Family moves into their new dream home having no idea their new home is possessed by a demon. (Inspired by True Events).

Link 1 (with English subtitles): https://www.1-2-3movies.com/stream/the-evil-down-the-street/21620/
Link2: https://ok.ru/video/2622324804134

humbert

Quote from: scarface on December 25, 2021, 11:11 PM
It's Christmas today so I wish you a happy Christmas.

Like Lisa Simpson once said in one of their episodes, Christmas is a time when people buy people gifts they don't need with money they don't have. Only the merchants make money.

Ever wonder why it's celebrated on December 25th? Missionaries were trying to impose their religion on Druids and others who lived in the far north. For them winter solstice was very important because it's the day the sun slowly returns after so much darkness. They came up with this outrageous lie that Jesus Christ was born on the winter solstice. The date came to be December 25th only because it's 3-4 days after the real solstice (Dec 21st) that the return of the sun becomes apparent in the Northern Hemisphere. In reality nowhere in the Christian Bible is there any mention of Jesus' date of birth, assuming he even existed at all.

Naturally I don't celebrate it. Went to work as usual.