• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Internet Download Manager 6.28 Build 16

Started by Maher, May 26, 2013, 10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 07, 2015, 09:33 AM
Why didn't try DTA for FF?

Has anybody tested Eagleget (www.eagleget.com). I haven't but the reviews appear to be pretty good.

Vasudev

My opinion is "if you're happy with current download accelerator then why try another one?". For me, DTA works on multiple platforms such as Win, Linux or MAC OS, so DTA works.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 23, 2015, 06:30 PM
My opinion is "if you're happy with current download accelerator then why try another one?". For me, DTA works on multiple platforms such as Win, Linux or MAC OS, so DTA works.

This logic of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" (or similar) is seriously flawed. There's always a better way, a better deal, a better program etc. - it's just a matter of finding it. Imagine back in the 19th century when Mr Karl Benz was working on inventing the car. I bet most people saw no reason to upgrade from the horse and buggy since it worked quite well.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 25, 2015, 03:57 AM
This logic of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" (or similar) is seriously flawed. There's always a better way, a better deal, a better program etc. - it's just a matter of finding it. Imagine back in the 19th century when Mr Karl Benz was working on inventing the car. I bet most people saw no reason to upgrade from the horse and buggy since it worked quite well.
Generally speaking that logic is somewhat true. If there's a problem in my PC, my dad always said "Problem arises because I installed too many programs" which is not always true.
Giveaway competition from HExus http://hexus.net/tech/features/systems/85196-win-asus-powered-skylake-gaming-rig-scan/

humbert

"Too many installed programs" has nothing to do with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? :)  I hope you took the time to explain to the old man why his assumption is mistaken.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a major impediment to progress. To give you one of many examples, I remember when MS introduced Windows 3.0 (the PC's first serious attempt at a GUI to rival the Mac), many people weren't interested. "DOS and it's command line work great, why would I ever want to upgrade?" they said.

Vasudev

@Humb:At tweaking.com Shane says "If Ain't broke, tweak it". Did you perform in-place upgrade to win 10 w/o losing files & w/o needing driver re-installs? I just slipstreamed a cumulative update to win 10(mind you, a single file of 325MB) increased the ISO size to 4.2GB, sounds incredible, right? I think MS has re-designed their search serviceto be like ubuntu that is, if you remove search package from ubuntu you can't use search at all.

humbert

I agree with Shane :).

I signed up for the free upgrade just like everyone else. Maher tipped me off a few days later with the link for the release version. After downloading, I simply mounted the ISO and ran the setup.exe program. It was seamless. All Windows 8.1 drivers that were already there worked perfectly. The only one I did have to download a W10 version was the one for NVidia. Maybe it's because I'm running 2 cards on SLI. The Windows 10 x64 ISO was 4GB in size, and the x86 version was 3GB.

I should mention my lady's desktop was upgraded to W10 through the online upgrade. There were no issues. This is an Asus Core i3 with 4GB RAM.

The search package can't be removed, but it can be disabled or configured to search only what you want it to search. It's been a while since I've run Ubuntu, not to even mention that's not my not my distro of choice.

For all of you upgrading to W10, don't be intimidated by what you hear. All this anti-privacy thing can be removed. Most of the Metro apps they include can be deleted, even those that offer no such option when right clicking. You can turn off the others you don't want.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 28, 2015, 01:52 AM

The search package can't be removed, but it can be disabled or configured to search only what you want it to search. It's been a while since I've run Ubuntu, not to even mention that's not my not my distro of choice.
Enlighten me, how search will work eventhough its disabled. For me, after shutting down search service, search no longer works.
Ubuntu isn't my choice of distro, either. Switched to Xubuntu and running strong for 2-3 years w/o clean install. I may have to perform a clean install when 16.04 is out.

Bishnusakha

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 28, 2015, 11:38 AM
Enlighten me, how search will work eventhough its disabled. For me, after shutting down search service, search no longer works.

I did this:

1) Winkey-Q brings up the search menu. Click on the gear and turn off Cortana and Internet Search.

2) Bring up the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc). Go to Computer Configuration â†' Administrative Templates â†' Windows Components â†' Search. Once there:
    Allow Cortana â†' Disabled ; Do Not Allow Web Searches â†' Enabled ; Don't Search the Web or Display Web Results in Search â†' Enabled

I can still find local stuff (programs, settings etc.) by hitting Winkey-Q and typing what I want. These settings take MS Edge and Bing out of the picture.

Quote from: Vasudev on August 28, 2015, 11:38 AM
Ubuntu isn't my choice of distro, either. Switched to Xubuntu and running strong for 2-3 years w/o clean install. I may have to perform a clean install when 16.04 is out.

It's been a while since I've played around with Linux. I really don't have much use for it except maybe playing around. Sadly there are many things I can't do with it. Another problem is that many Linux apps for everyday stuff don't work as well as their Windows counterparts.