• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows XP Support

Started by Maher, June 21, 2011, 11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

user

Thanks, humbert.
I have plenty of later and better machines - just like to indulge in a bit of nostalgia sometimes :-[.

I have had vaccine and booster.

humbert

Quote from: user on June 14, 2021, 12:23 AM
I have plenty of later and better machines - just like to indulge in a bit of nostalgia sometimes :-[.

The whole concept of nostalgia is incompatible with the pace at which technology advances, not to even mention planned obsolence. If you're running XP on an old machine and all you do is browse the web, read email, write letters, or something basic, I think you're probably better off trashing XP and installing a 32bit distro of Linux. Check out Mint -- it's interface isn't all that different from XP.

Quote from: user on June 14, 2021, 12:23 AM
I have had vaccine and booster.

What brand did you get. I got Phizer-Biontech. Here in America all you need to do is go online and make an appointment at one of the many places offering it. You don't pay anything, the government pays for it. As of today's date 52% of our people have had at least 1 shot with 42% fully vaccinated. The country is slowly opening up, new cases and deaths have fallen tremendously. Honestly I do not understand the mentality of these people who refuse to get vaccinated if the vaccine is available and free.

Daniil

Quote from: user on June 12, 2021, 11:16 PM
XP on my laptop thinks the touchpad is a mouse: the touchpad works nevertheless :)!
How to disable "tap to click"?
Hello and welcome. As about your question - it depends on what model of notebook you are using. On most notebooks from built at 2000-2010 this function can be disabled in BIOS. Also, you can find a representaion of touchpad hardware in Control panel->Device Manager, and disable it (right click on it, select properties, there select Driver tab and click "Disable device").

Quote from: humbert on June 15, 2021, 06:28 AM
The whole concept of nostalgia is incompatible with the pace at which technology advances, not to even mention planned obsolence.
XP at 2021 - why not? I'm using Win2k in VirtualBox and DosBox, because I like to play some old games sometimes.

humbert

Quote from: Daniil on June 15, 2021, 01:40 PM
XP at 2021 - why not? I'm using Win2k in VirtualBox and DosBox, because I like to play some old games sometimes.

Let me ask: what notebook to you have? I mean what microprocessor and how much RAM? Please let me know so I'll have a better idea of what to say when we talk about your use of XP.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on June 13, 2021, 05:27 AM
user -> You're still on XP at this day and age? Are you stuck with an ancient laptop that won't run at least Windows 7 or what? With respect to the touchpad, I don't use it at all so I disabled it in the BIOS. Have you checked to see if that's possible on your laptop?

Regarding Covid19, I asked Scarface about it a while ago in another forum. I got vaccinated a month ago. Since nobody else said anything regarding this topic, I'm under the assumption nobody else here is either sick or vaccinated.

I've been looking forward to getting Vaccinated.
My parents both got their first jab, but I'm still kind of far away in the order.

My plan was to visit my family in September and attend a wedding. At this rate, I will most likely not go due to not being vaccinated.
It's no issue getting to sweden, but getting back here is an issue with potential expensive quarantine, around 2k euro per person for their stay.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on June 17, 2021, 03:17 AM
My parents both got their first jab, but I'm still kind of far away in the order.

What is the availability of vaccines in Ireland? Is it difficult for you to get a jab? Despite the fact that your chances of dying from Covid are slim to none, getting a vaccine is a good idea. At least you have the necessary paperwork.

It's no issue getting to sweden, but getting back here is an issue with potential expensive quarantine, around 2k euro per person for their stay.

As a Swedish citizen the government in Stockholm doesn't have the luxury of refusing you admission  :) -- If it's such a headache in Ireland, can't you get your jabs in Sweden when you return?

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on June 17, 2021, 04:44 AM

What is the availability of vaccines in Ireland? Is it difficult for you to get a jab? Despite the fact that your chances of dying from Covid are slim to none, getting a vaccine is a good idea. At least you have the necessary paperwork.

As a Swedish citizen the government in Stockholm doesn't have the luxury of refusing you admission  :) -- If it's such a headache in Ireland, can't you get your jabs in Sweden when you return?

I would have to wait the designated time between the jabs in Sweden, and as there isnt a vaccine pass, that allows you to skip quarantine it's not really helpful sadly.

Vaccination rate is currently slow, 70+ is being vaccinated currently in Ireland, as well as people in risk groups.
40 to 69 are currently able to register for their vaccine, but to my understanding isn't being vaccinated just yet.
https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout/

Total doses given 3.1M
People fully vaccinated 515K
% fully vaccinated 10.5%
Total population 4.9m
Something feels off about it, because I havnt heard of anyone getting the jab yet.

This is half % of swedens fully vaccinated(22%), the US&UK has 44% according to https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations?country=OWID_WRL
According to google, that is a safe source. You get the map by typing 'vaccination ireland' in the search field
France is at 21% according to that site.

We were informed yesterday that we will move to primarily work from home in the future, and they will review the decision in August.
They have terminated the lease for the building, and we have to pick up our stuff before that.

As you guys might know, I am driven by comfort in many ways. That includes, having a lot of food, and comfort items near me at all times.
Bringing all that stuff from work will be.. Interesting :)
For example, a full size keyboard, cleaning products, a boxes of food, paper towels, kitchen knife, desk mousepad etc.
Kitchen knife is not allowed. So I'll have to hide it when emptying my large drawers  ;D
I got one side drawer, around 0.5m x 1m x desk height, and a 1m x 1m x 30cm drawer.
Both filled.

Hoping I get to keep the monitors and all that. Would be really nice.

Daniil

Quote from: humbert on June 16, 2021, 04:49 AM
Quote from: Daniil on June 15, 2021, 01:40 PM

Let me ask: what notebook to you have? I mean what microprocessor and how much RAM? Please let me know so I'll have a better idea of what to say when we talk about your use of XP.
I'm on FX-8350 and 32 Gb of RAM (didn't upgrade my PC yet). I'm not argue with you, you're purely correct that today XP is an anachronism. But, I think that when we need to run old soft, using an old OS on old hardware is a good solution for this.

humbert

Daniil -> Do you run XP on the FX8350 inside Virtualbox? I ask because, as you know, unless you're using 64bit XP the OS will see only 4GB of your 32GB ram. I also believe I heard you mention Virtualbox in a post not long ago.

Shadow-Daniil -> Based on what you're saying about the availability of vaccines where you live, I think it's entirely possible this pandemic will be over and done with by the time it's your turn. Don't worry -- the possibility that healthy young guys like yourselves will have a severe case of Covid are slim to nonexistent. Probably you're worst problem will be to put up with restrictions. Relax, be patient and don't give it much thought.

Shadow -> You're going to work from home? How are you going to accomplish this living in a bedroom and sharing your internet connection with your landlord and the other tenants? Is it possible for you to move back to Växjö and use the fiber connection you have at home, or must you physically remain in Dublin despite working from home?

Something I've been meaning to ask: do you like Dublin and Ireland in general?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 18, 2021, 05:16 AM
Daniil -> Do you run XP on the FX8350 inside Virtualbox? I ask because, as you know, unless you're using 64bit XP the OS will see only 4GB of your 32GB ram. I also believe I heard you mention Virtualbox in a post not long ago.

Shadow-Daniil -> Based on what you're saying about the availability of vaccines where you live, I think it's entirely possible this pandemic will be over and done with by the time it's your turn. Don't worry -- the possibility that healthy young guys like yourselves will have a severe case of Covid are slim to nonexistent. Probably you're worst problem will be to put up with restrictions. Relax, be patient and don't give it much thought.

Shadow -> You're going to work from home? How are you going to accomplish this living in a bedroom and sharing your internet connection with your landlord and the other tenants? Is it possible for you to move back to Växjö and use the fiber connection you have at home, or must you physically remain in Dublin despite working from home?

Something I've been meaning to ask: do you like Dublin and Ireland in general?
Never knew Shadow moved to Ireland. I thought she was in Sweden.
I got my first jab on Wednesday. Got sore hands and shoulders.