• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Support

Started by Maher, June 26, 2011, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Maher on September 20, 2011, 02:38 PM
Maher, I'm curious about something (what else is new?). Do you also run operating systems other than Windows 7(64) on your computer?
I only have Windows 7 x64.
But inside it I have lots of operating systems which I install on vmware workstation (virtual machines).
I always install some and try when I have time :)

You're just the man I need for advice! In fact, I asked you this question hoping you'd know something about this since the gurus on this subject haven't been back. In simple terms -- once you create a virtual computer with VMWare or Virtual Box using the wizard, how do you install an OS into that virtual computer? I've looked all over the Virtual Box pdf file and found no answer. Also, I plan to start with Ubuntu. Do you know what settings are appropriate for that OS regarding disk space and ram allocated?

What other OS'es have you fooled around with in your spare time? Their settings? If you play with many, then just give me the setting for the Mac OS (assuming you've run it) for now, although I don't know if it'll run on my machine since it has an AMD chipset, not Intel.

Maher

Quote from: humb25 on September 23, 2011, 05:53 AM
Quote from: Maher on September 20, 2011, 02:38 PM
Maher, I'm curious about something (what else is new?). Do you also run operating systems other than Windows 7(64) on your computer?
I only have Windows 7 x64.
But inside it I have lots of operating systems which I install on vmware workstation (virtual machines).
I always install some and try when I have time :)

You're just the man I need for advice! In fact, I asked you this question hoping you'd know something about this since the gurus on this subject haven't been back. In simple terms -- once you create a virtual computer with VMWare or Virtual Box using the wizard, how do you install an OS into that virtual computer? I've looked all over the Virtual Box pdf file and found no answer. Also, I plan to start with Ubuntu. Do you know what settings are appropriate for that OS regarding disk space and ram allocated?

What other OS'es have you fooled around with in your spare time? Their settings? If you play with many, then just give me the setting for the Mac OS (assuming you've run it) for now, although I don't know if it'll run on my machine since it has an AMD chipset, not Intel.
It's easy, and you have two easy options.
Inside the created virtual machine's settings look for CD/DVD. It will have these options:
1) Use physical drive.
2) Use ISO image file.
If you choose the first one, then just insert Ubuntu CD into your real CD drive and run the virtual machine to install ubuntu from CD.
If you choose the second option, you have to browse for ubuntu's or XP's ISO file or whatever system you want to install.
That's it :)

Regarding Mac OS, it doesn't work that way. It's more complex. For me, I didn't even try!
Please, DO NOT send messages for support! Ask on the forums. Thank you.

http://maherz.softarchive.net/

humbert

Quote from: Maher on September 23, 2011, 10:40 PM
Inside the created virtual machine's settings look for CD/DVD. It will have these options:
1) Use physical drive.
2) Use ISO image file.
If you choose the first one, then just insert Ubuntu CD into your real CD drive and run the virtual machine to install ubuntu from CD.
If you choose the second option, you have to browse for ubuntu's or XP's ISO file or whatever system you want to install.

Regarding Mac OS, it doesn't work that way. It's more complex. For me, I didn't even try!

Thanks for your help.

I was reading the difference between VMWare and Virtual Box on that web site the gurus posted and I think it's better to start with Virtual Box, so let me make a backup of what I've got (in case of a major screwup) and get this thing going. I assume Virtual Box will allow me to install the Ubuntu files on my 2nd physical drive (drive D). In fact, I'll probably install Virtual Box onto D since it's got plenty of free space. Let's hope all goes well.

Does anyone out there have any ideas of what would be good vitual machine settings for this OS (disk space, allocated memory or whatever else)? I'm a true newbie at this, but my many years computing have taught me that the only way to learn is to do it and not be afraid.

Once I really get the hang of it, maybe I'll give the Mac OS a shot just to see what happens, but certainly not right now.

Maher

Quote from: humb25 on September 25, 2011, 05:20 AM
1) Use physical drive.
2) Use ISO image file.

Thanks for your help.

I was reading the difference between VMWare and Virtual Box on that web site the gurus posted and I think it's better to start with Virtual Box, so let me make a backup of what I've got (in case of a major screwup) and get this thing going. I assume Virtual Box will allow me to install the Ubuntu files on my 2nd physical drive (drive D). In fact, I'll probably install Virtual Box onto D since it's got plenty of free space. Let's hope all goes well.

Does anyone out there have any ideas of what would be good vitual machine settings for this OS (disk space, allocated memory or whatever else)? I'm a true newbie at this, but my many years computing have taught me that the only way to learn is to do it and not be afraid.

Once I really get the hang of it, maybe I'll give the Mac OS a shot just to see what happens, but certainly not right now.
You can install vmware or virtual box in program files in C and have the virtual machine on disk D. This is not a problem.
After you install the program, search for it's options. There you will find an option like "where you want to save virtual hard disk for virtual machines".
In vmware, you can even change the location when you create a virtual machine :)

For Ubuntu, 15 GB will be fine. And 512 or 1024 MB for the RAM.
Mac isn't easy to install on vmware! You need lots of changes and tricks. Just search Google :) It's a headache!
Good luck ;)

Maher

humbert

You can install vmware or virtual box in program files in C and have the virtual machine on disk D. This is not a problem.
After you install the program, search for it's options. There you will find an option like "where you want to save virtual hard disk for virtual machines".
In vmware, you can even change the location when you create a virtual machine :)

For Ubuntu, 15 GB will be fine. And 512 or 1024 MB for the RAM.
Mac isn't easy to install on vmware! You need lots of changes and tricks. Just search Google :) It's a headache!
Good luck ;)

I installed Virtual Box last night and there's no question I did something wrong. The settings I used were Virtual Box's defaults for Ubuntu (or, I guess, any Linux distro). I put my disk in the CD like you said and, just like the live CD, it first asked if I wanted to try it or install it. Fearing a major disaster, I clicked to try it. It ran in a window that could not be set to full screen, and slow as hell. In fact, I even tried to bring up Ubuntu's Firefox and it would close as soon as it came up. VB did create 2 files and gave me the option of where to put them, a .vdi file and an .iso which, I suppose, is a virtual HD. I don't know if things I'd do with Ubuntu (like change settings) would have been saved on the iso.

Let me use the settings you gave me to check this thing out using Wubi. And, of course, having suffered from migraines in the past, I'll stay the hell away from the Mac OS, at least for now  :)

nexus

got a little problem i installed win 7  on my laptop all fine installed it on my desktop and thats saying it has 3 days i fixed it woth winloader but i just thought it was strange

Maher

Quote from: nexus on October 30, 2011, 03:51 AM
got a little problem i installed win 7  on my laptop all fine installed it on my desktop and thats saying it has 3 days i fixed it woth winloader but i just thought it was strange
If you use windows loader you won't be notified again.
You will be fine.

humbert

Quote from: nexus on October 30, 2011, 03:51 AM

Want to hear something even stranger? Recently my wife's laptop lost activation, so I reactivated it with w7lxe.exe (my favorite loader). After about a day it lost activation again, so this time I decided to use Daz Loader, only not immediately because there was other stuff to do. She then shut off her computer. Hours later she turned it back on. I was ready to use Daz, but then I noticed the activation came back by itself, I never had to use Daz or anything! That was a month ago and it's still activated. Mine has been OK for close to 8 months with no problem. Can anyone understand this wierd stuff?