• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on July 14, 2022, 05:41 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on July 13, 2022, 06:20 PMDownload Privatezilla or LoveWin11Again
I stopped using Yamicsoft products long time ago once I moved to Win 10.

Thanks for the tip. You're the man!  :)
You're welcome. The above works on win 10 and 11 w/o any issue and are simple to use.

humbert

I've probably asked you this before. Who is still actually using Windows 7? AFAIK any computer than can run Win7 can run Win10 -- and probably Win11 with those stupid restrictions removed.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on August 10, 2022, 05:15 AMI've probably asked you this before. Who is still actually using Windows 7? AFAIK any computer than can run Win7 can run Win10 -- and probably Win11 with those stupid restrictions removed.
You're probably right. Only Guliver expressed interest recently. Since windows 10 and 7 are ready they will be available soon on the forum. Windows 11 will be available later.
As for windows xp, it's still available here but it will be removed soon: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=14153.msg37204#msg37204
If you need it download it quickly.
Since Maher stopped maintaing links for xp and 7 a while back, I decided to maintain those old versions but they have become obsolete indeed. Note that I may go back to windows 10 soon, I can't stand windows 11 anymore. I couldn't solve the sound lag (it seems this audio bug is affecting a lot of users with realtek hardware). In my opinion, this OS will be a failure like Vista.

Guliver

Hello hello, you are right, Scarface :) I am still interested in your Windows 7 builds. I do have Windows 10 installed on a secondary partition but I dislike it so much that occasions when I boot it up are extremely rare. In fact, since you mentioned it, I still make use of XP as well, even though in a VM only. I am aware I will have to abandon Win7 at some point, but I am determined to put that off for as long as I reasonably can. So thank you for making that possible Scarface :)

humbert

Quote from: Guliver on August 10, 2022, 10:45 PMHello hello, you are right, Scarface :) I am still interested in your Windows 7 builds. I do have Windows 10 installed on a secondary partition but I dislike it so much that occasions when I boot it up are extremely rare. In fact, since you mentioned it, I still make use of XP as well, even though in a VM only. I am aware I will have to abandon Win7 at some point, but I am determined to put that off for as long as I reasonably can. So thank you for making that possible Scarface :)

As I see it, the problem with old operating systems is not that they're bad, it's lack of support. If you're running a relatively old system then Win7 will work fine. But if you upgrade to an Intel i9 or a AMD Ryzen, forget about anything under Win10. In fact, if I upgraded right now to the very latest hardware, I know I'd have to forcibly run Win11 for the same reason.

humbert

Quote from: humbert on May 28, 2022, 06:30 AMThe card you mentioned doesn't do 6E. What I'm trying to do is replace an ethernet cable that's on the floor protected by a cable protector. Occasionally people trip over it. My ISP is Google Fiber. My tests regularly show roughly 945 Mbps up and down consistently. Only 6E can come close. It'll probably go that fast because, as I explained, the PC is just 3½ meters from the router and there is a direct line of sight with no obstructions in between.

My assumption that a WiFi 6E device located in a straight line close to the router will result in close to gigabit internet is incorrect. I bought a Google Pixel 6 for my lady. On my router, the 6 GhZ WiFi 6E network has a separate SSID from the regular WiFi 6 (2.4/5 gHz) network. I connected the phone to the 6E network only. As expected, the signal doesn't go very far. When you're in the other room with a few walls in the middle, the signal strength is poor. Compare this with good to fair when on the WiFi 6 network. I then decided to sit next to the router and conducted speedtests on both networks. There was no noticeable difference in speeds.

Not only is WiFi 6E not really worth it, but if you want Gigabit speeds you must go with wired ethernet - no ifs, ands or buts.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 19, 2022, 04:33 AM
Quote from: humbert on May 28, 2022, 06:30 AMThe card you mentioned doesn't do 6E. What I'm trying to do is replace an ethernet cable that's on the floor protected by a cable protector. Occasionally people trip over it. My ISP is Google Fiber. My tests regularly show roughly 945 Mbps up and down consistently. Only 6E can come close. It'll probably go that fast because, as I explained, the PC is just 3½ meters from the router and there is a direct line of sight with no obstructions in between.

My assumption that a WiFi 6E device located in a straight line close to the router will result in close to gigabit internet is incorrect. I bought a Google Pixel 6 for my lady. On my router, the 6 GhZ WiFi 6E network has a separate SSID from the regular WiFi 6 (2.4/5 gHz) network. I connected the phone to the 6E network only. As expected, the signal doesn't go very far. When you're in the other room with a few walls in the middle, the signal strength is poor. Compare this with good to fair when on the WiFi 6 network. I then decided to sit next to the router and conducted speedtests on both networks. There was no noticeable difference in speeds.

Not only is WiFi 6E not really worth it, but if you want Gigabit speeds you must go with wired ethernet - no ifs, ands or buts.
Indeed. Even with high end router wall interference cannot be overruled. You can mitigate with extenders all over the house but then again its too expensive to maintain.
How is the signal/coverage on LTE/5G(NSA mmW/SA non mmW) on Pixel 6?

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 23, 2022, 09:24 PMIndeed. Even with high end router wall interference cannot be overruled. You can mitigate with extenders all over the house but then again its too expensive to maintain.

Definitely the best way to take advantage of 6E is to run a mesh system with as many satellites as you can afford. Mesh systems are expensive but they're slowly becoming more affordable. I believe I read somewhere some routers manufacturers are increasing the power on the 6E network to improve coverage. Even with all this, you still can't ignore the laws of physics. As I said, even 2-3 meters from the router I'm not seeing that 6 gHz is significantly faster than 5 gHz. Naturally both are much faster than 2.4 gHz. Let me run a few more tests and see what happens.

Quote from: Vasudev on August 23, 2022, 09:24 PMHow is the signal/coverage on LTE/5G(NSA mmW/SA non mmW) on Pixel 6?

The phone shows 5G UC when connected to a tower that supports it. UC stand for "Ultimate Capacity" (on T-Mobile), and basically it means the tower supports midband and highband, including MM waves. My old Oneplus 8 supports 5G but only on the low band frequencies (no UC). There is a noticeable difference. When near a UC tower the Pixel's download speed can easily exceed 500 Mbps both up and down. My old Oneplus barely goes over 50 Mpbs on the same tower at the same distance.

I'm planning to upgrade to a Pixel 7 when it comes out in October.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 25, 2022, 04:49 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on August 23, 2022, 09:24 PMIndeed. Even with high end router wall interference cannot be overruled. You can mitigate with extenders all over the house but then again its too expensive to maintain.

Definitely the best way to take advantage of 6E is to run a mesh system with as many satellites as you can afford. Mesh systems are expensive but they're slowly becoming more affordable. I believe I read somewhere some routers manufacturers are increasing the power on the 6E network to improve coverage. Even with all this, you still can't ignore the laws of physics. As I said, even 2-3 meters from the router I'm not seeing that 6 gHz is significantly faster than 5 gHz. Naturally both are much faster than 2.4 gHz. Let me run a few more tests and see what happens.

Quote from: Vasudev on August 23, 2022, 09:24 PMHow is the signal/coverage on LTE/5G(NSA mmW/SA non mmW) on Pixel 6?

The phone shows 5G UC when connected to a tower that supports it. UC stand for "Ultimate Capacity" (on T-Mobile), and basically it means the tower supports midband and highband, including MM waves. My old Oneplus 8 supports 5G but only on the low band frequencies (no UC). There is a noticeable difference. When near a UC tower the Pixel's download speed can easily exceed 500 Mbps both up and down. My old Oneplus barely goes over 50 Mpbs on the same tower at the same distance.

I'm planning to upgrade to a Pixel 7 when it comes out in October.
Nice to hear your 5G speed is very good on TMO. I had to call up my carrier to enable LTE CA which pushed my download speed past 100Mbps and 50Mbps upload but they reverted it to 50-60Mbps for no reason.
I might upgrade to Pixel 7 or 7a if any of them are available in India. Wanted to know if network on tensor modem was worse than snapdragon.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 25, 2022, 09:54 PMNice to hear your 5G speed is very good on TMO. I had to call up my carrier to enable LTE CA which pushed my download speed past 100Mbps and 50Mbps upload but they reverted it to 50-60Mbps for no reason.
I might upgrade to Pixel 7 or 7a if any of them are available in India. Wanted to know if network on tensor modem was worse than snapdragon.

Is LTE CA some sort of LTE using higher frequencies? Is there no 5G in India just yet?

I honestly don't think Tensor is better than Snapdragon, or vice versa. I'm not seeing any difference. Then again I haven't run heavy benchmark tests either. Even if I did I'd have to run a test with something a little better than the Oneplus 8 and its Snapdragon's 855