• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on December 15, 2022, 05:47 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 14, 2022, 03:27 AMI dont see a lot of negatives with W11 so far. I just hope they resolve these issues.

Are you having trouble with Windows Update and it's children, such as Windows Store downloads? If not, maybe you know something I don't. Every attempt I've made to fix it has failed.
I had an issue one day where during a competetive match my laptop decided to reboot for updates, even if I had told it to restart "TOMORROW" at 8 AM..
One issue as well when setting up the computer where some updates took ages to download for no apparent reason.

Nothing major. First issue will be a major one if it happens several times.

humbert

I continue to play around with Windows 11 and it's clear that their very famous Windows Subsystem for Linux is buggy. No surprise.

Installing Windows Subsystem for Linux is not as straightforward as we've been led to believe. It takes a bit of configuration. After installing it I downloaded and installed Debian. There is no GUI anywhere. It strictly a command line terminal. It IS possible to install Linux apps graphically. When I typed (for example) "sudo apt-get install gedit" it installed a full working copy of gedit just like you'd see it on any Linux distro. Gedit even has an entry in the start menu. Bleachbit was different. Despite have 2 start menu entries (as root and not), only the non-root version could be started by by the start menu. The other one you have to open the terminal and type "sudo bleachbit".

Despite all the work M$ and Canonical have been going, Ubuntu is very buggy. The download is about 961MB compared to Debian's 160MB (more to go wrong). It's garbage. WSL now says there is no Linux distro installed. Ubuntu does see WSL and works. However, it's just a terminal window in no way different from Debian. I found no way to make it into a GUI like the screenshots on their web site. This despite the fact that I did exactly what the docs say to do. It seems better just to save some disk space and go with Debian.

Then again, do you really NEED Linux apps on your Windows desktop? This is probably a little out of my league, but I've yet to see a Linux app that has a better Windows equivalent. At this point if you want Linux apps, you're better off just going with VirtualBox or VMWare. Linux distros run great under VM's.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 27, 2022, 05:18 AMI continue to play around with Windows 11 and it's clear that their very famous Windows Subsystem for Linux is buggy. No surprise.

Installing Windows Subsystem for Linux is not as straightforward as we've been led to believe. It takes a bit of configuration. After installing it I downloaded and installed Debian. There is no GUI anywhere. It strictly a command line terminal. It IS possible to install Linux apps graphically. When I typed (for example) "sudo apt-get install gedit" it installed a full working copy of gedit just like you'd see it on any Linux distro. Gedit even has an entry in the start menu. Bleachbit was different. Despite have 2 start menu entries (as root and not), only the non-root version could be started by by the start menu. The other one you have to open the terminal and type "sudo bleachbit".

Despite all the work M$ and Canonical have been going, Ubuntu is very buggy. The download is about 961MB compared to Debian's 160MB (more to go wrong). It's garbage. WSL now says there is no Linux distro installed. Ubuntu does see WSL and works. However, it's just a terminal window in no way different from Debian. I found no way to make it into a GUI like the screenshots on their web site. This despite the fact that I did exactly what the docs say to do. It seems better just to save some disk space and go with Debian.

Then again, do you really NEED Linux apps on your Windows desktop? This is probably a little out of my league, but I've yet to see a Linux app that has a better Windows equivalent. At this point if you want Linux apps, you're better off just going with VirtualBox or VMWare. Linux distros run great under VM's.
MS did say they will GTK and UI support, I have been using cli version under docker so UI isn't important. Ubuntu has more deps than debian base install due to snap and other apps/services. I prefer debian bullseye for daily usage and I'm using Linux Mint Debian Edition 5. Its on dual boot with windows 10.

I have uploaded winget tutorial on youtube.

If you want to see how I slipstream or make updated Win 10/11 media you can watch it. Forgive the audio as I was running into some issues while recording audio, so I have added subtitles for important scenes.

Also you watch how I test the ISO under virtualbox. Forgive the audio as I was running into some issues while recording audio, so I have added subtitles for important scenes.

In case you are interested in SW which I used for screen recording it was OBS Studio and edited the video using DaVinci Resolve 18 on Windows 10 with NVENC exports (H264/H265).

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on December 27, 2022, 05:18 AMThen again, do you really NEED Linux apps on your Windows desktop? This is probably a little out of my league, but I've yet to see a Linux app that has a better Windows equivalent. At this point if you want Linux apps, you're better off just going with VirtualBox or VMWare. Linux distros run great under VM's.

Yes you do.
I had many times where flashing firmware etc or projects from github be a pain in the *** on windows or not possible at all due to dependencies, when it was possible through a handful of commands on WSL.
If you're looking for a linux box with gui you should likely not be using WSL and instead use a virtual machine with hyper-v.
What makes me confused is that WSL is not locked behind windows pro. It's really a pro tool I'd say.

I see WSL as the equivilant of WINE. It wont replace anything, just make life easier for that time you cant use a standalone box or where vm is inconvenient or too heavy for its small purpose.

humbert

Hey guys. Thanks for reponding. I have some questions.

Vasu: Your video is long I'm not sure what you're trying to do. I believe you said Winget was the equivalent of apt (or apt-get) in a Linux command line. Is the idea to install regular Windows apps or Linux apps? Please explain.

Shadow: As I understand it you said that if there are Linux app(s) someone needs to run, the way to go is to use a VM under Hyper-V. Do you mean VirtualBox, VMWare, or something else? I ask because VirtualBox will run regardless of whether or not Hyper-V or Virtual Machine Platform are enabled. By comparison Nox (my favorite Android VM emulator) will run ONLY if Hyper-V and Virtual Machine Platform are disabled. Go figure!

BTW do you run any Linux apps or games that require a full Linux environment? If so I assume you don't use a VM and dual boot, or something else.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on December 30, 2022, 05:31 AMHey guys. Thanks for reponding. I have some questions.

Vasu: Your video is long I'm not sure what you're trying to do. I believe you said Winget was the equivalent of apt (or apt-get) in a Linux command line. Is the idea to install regular Windows apps or Linux apps? Please explain.

Shadow: As I understand it you said that if there are Linux app(s) someone needs to run, the way to go is to use a VM under Hyper-V. Do you mean VirtualBox, VMWare, or something else? I ask because VirtualBox will run regardless of whether or not Hyper-V or Virtual Machine Platform are enabled. By comparison Nox (my favorite Android VM emulator) will run ONLY if Hyper-V and Virtual Machine Platform are disabled. Go figure!

BTW do you run any Linux apps or games that require a full Linux environment? If so I assume you don't use a VM and dual boot, or something else.

Currently I dont.
I do not dualboot. I dont find it worth the hassle.
If i need something that requires a genuine boot-disk booted linux distro I run it in a live environment of a USB thumb drive.
I don't really use virtual machines that much either.
My issue with using a specific distro is that the guides you easily find can often be specific for a distro. Even when you start learning what commands you need to replace something with, it becomes a pain.  Using live usb boot you can use fedora, debian, or whatever the guide is made for.

Games are usually not developed primarily for linux, and even for a 50% performance hit I would still not use Linux for gaming as it is today. I dont feel like booting another OS just for a singular game. I'd rather not play the game at that point.

Same with apps. If an app is forced to be linux only, I use WSL. And if that doesn't work. I'll heavily reconsider using the app.

Last time I was forced to use linux was during flashing of a huawei 4g dongle, e3772 from HILINK to STICK mode. The software connected through COM ports through USB and had issues working under windows 10/7 but worked fine through a live usb through some of the steps, and then windows 10 could continue after a handful of steps.
I spent WAY too many hours tinkering with that stick than what it was worth.
Some crazy people like me do everything in their power to avoid double-NAT network.

I would love to go full linux again somewhat soon. I'm just not sure it will be worth my energy to swap OS at this point.
The familiarity is worth quite a bit. I used linux for an extensive period, but always ended up having too many issues with my primary games that I played, and didnt want to dual boot.
If it's the choice of not spending time with friends, or sticking with microsoft. The choice is spending time with friends.

I've very much considered dualbooting on my laptop for now. But until I get a second ssd for it. It wont happen. I don't want to have to redo all the windows tinkering and installations that take an entire day to do, just if I have to restore my windows.
I'm aware that there's backup utilities that I could use. I just don't have the energy.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 31, 2022, 02:45 AMI don't really use virtual machines that much either.

I use VirtualBox only for testing new apps and playing around with Linux. Mint is my favorite distro.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 31, 2022, 02:45 AMMy issue with using a specific distro is that the guides you easily find can often be specific for a distro. Even when you start learning what commands you need to replace something with, it becomes a pain.  Using live usb boot you can use fedora, debian, or whatever the guide is made for.

So you use (for example) Ventoy on a single flashdrive with all kinds of distros on it so you can live-cd the one of your choice?

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 31, 2022, 02:45 AMI would love to go full linux again somewhat soon. I'm just not sure it will be worth my energy to swap OS at this point.

So would I and many other people. The problem with Linux is lack of support. Everything is written for Windows. My favorite example is my mouse. Since Logitech does not support Linux, its buttons can't be configured according to the game I'm playing.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 30, 2022, 05:31 AMHey guys. Thanks for reponding. I have some questions.

@humbert Yes I did say it's quite similar to apt which itself is a package manager. The video became longer after I included installation of multiple apps followed by uninstall as well.
For winget there is no UI or frontend package/app available and for now only winget.run a web version is available.

As for Hyper-V and WSL things, HyperV is a type-1 or bare metal hypervisor which can run windows or any OS on top of it whereas VBox is installed inside in Host OS. WSL is a middle ground wherein you can run any OS/app within a container/sandbox with full performance. HyperV does have performance hit and works only on Pro/Education/Enterprise.

Just found about WSLg with GUI which allows you to install some GUI apps. https://github.com/microsoft/wslg
Edit: A minor error in hypervisor namng scheme, there is only 2 ie 1 and 2. I don't know why i used the 0 and 1 as types of hypervisors.

humbert

I'm totally lost here. Is Hyper-V a virtual machine program unto itself? Say you wanted to run a distro of Linux on top of Windows with Hyper-V. How would you do it?

With respect to WSL, based on what I'm seeing I'd have to agree with Shadow when it said it was like WINE in reverse, i.e., it runs basic Linux apps on top of Windows.

Regarding Winget, I downloaded your video. Let me take another look at it before I trouble you with more questions.

Like I said before, I like to use Nox to play around with Android apps. It's basically like Bluestacks with much less bloat. For it to run, virtualization must be enabled on the motherboard, but Hyper-V and all other Windows VM features must be disabled. I have no idea why.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on January 03, 2023, 05:19 AMI'm totally lost here. Is Hyper-V a virtual machine program unto itself? Say you wanted to run a distro of Linux on top of Windows with Hyper-V. How would you do it?

With respect to WSL, based on what I'm seeing I'd have to agree with Shadow when it said it was like WINE in reverse, i.e., it runs basic Linux apps on top of Windows.

Regarding Winget, I downloaded your video. Let me take another look at it before I trouble you with more questions.

Like I said before, I like to use Nox to play around with Android apps. It's basically like Bluestacks with much less bloat. For it to run, virtualization must be enabled on the motherboard, but Hyper-V and all other Windows VM features must be disabled. I have no idea why.
HyperV runs similar to vmware vSphere and you need to enable it in win features. For a windows user it feels easier to use. But I prefer VBox since it allows co-existence with HyperV and also as OS level hypervisor.

If your workflow is basically 70-80% android apps try ChromeOS or chromebook which is pretty slick and has faster updates.