• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: humbert on March 27, 2023, 06:39 AMAre your copies of Win10 and Win11 pre-activated or unactivated ISO's from Micro$haft? For Win10 I used a strange activator I found on the torrents, and Win11 was pre-activated.

The problem with a clean install is having to spend days reinstalling and reconfiguring everything. Don't you hate that?
Instead of installing it, you can test it with Vwmare too. Of course, I don't install a clean copy unless I need to do it (and I use switchless installers to avoid the boring part of the installation of windows).

humbert

Quote from: scarface on April 02, 2023, 08:44 PMInstead of installing it, you can test it with Vwmare too. Of course, I don't install a clean copy unless I need to do it (and I use switchless installers to avoid the boring part of the installation of windows).

There is no question the ISO's will work under any VM. What I'm trying to do is install it over the current versions of Windows 10 and 11. It's then when I get the error message.

scarface

Note that new versions of windows 10 & 11 will be available next week. I'm planning to add new drivers to the windows 11 iso and customize a bit more.

humbert

I just treated myself to a nice 32" Samsung Odyssey Neo monitor. My video card is an Nvidia RTX-3060. Despite the fact that both support HDR, you can't enable Windows HDR because it looks all washed out. I checked this out and if you want to to to full auto-HDR, the only choice is to bite the bullet and upgrade to Windows 11. I was playing around with the new Diablo IV beta release. The game fully supports HDR, but it appears I can't take full advantage of that without Win11.

What would be the best way to do that WITHOUT having to format a do a clean install? Is it possible to simply install 11 over 10?

Vasudev: you're the expert on these matters. What do you suggest?

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on April 06, 2023, 06:29 AMWhat would be the best way to do that WITHOUT having to format a do a clean install? Is it possible to simply install 11 over 10?

I upgraded my system from 10 to 11 without issues.
Installed a tpm module and then just let windows update thingy do its thingy. :)

As always do backup.

When it comes to HDR, I realised that I prefer SDR in most cases. I dont want my screens overly bright. There isn't much HDR content anyway.
When it goes between hdr/non hdr I've also noticed the screen likes "turning off and on" again

It also posed as a major issue for me when using my HTC vive(vr) and using steam to view the desktop. It made everything look washed out but look fine on the real monitor.

Using:
lg 27 inch ultragear 27gp850 qhd nano ips 180hz

I'm already considering a new monitor, will probably aim for 27 inch oled with high refreshrate and 4k.

I'm also in the market for a TV. Never really used or owned one, so it feels.. weird. Mostly as I have bad far-sight and dont use glasses indoors.

Ps. Got a new job, starting 17th as a network technician for an ISP.

scarface

Note that the next windows 11 release on the forum will get a windows 10 "ribbon UI" in the window folders (For this explorer was patched, and it's more convenient). Due to the similarities between windows 10 and 11 and the improvements made in this version, there is no reason to upload new versions of windows 10, it will be discontinued.

humbert

Following Shadow's advice I managed to get an ISO of Win11 22H2 and, sure enough, it installed flawlessly. Just like on the laptop, Windows Update is broken. Let me see if I can get these pending update numbers and install them manually. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

The start menu is broken too. You right-click on and item and nothing appears. If it worked you'd see options to pin it or put it on the taskbar. Nothing! I might even do something I swore I'd never do: install Scarface's Classic Shell. I don't know if it works on Win11 but let me give it a look.

Shadow: You who are the expert on this. You are correct in that turning on Windows HDR makes no sense at all. I read that this is what happens when you impose an HDR setting and the content of the screen is SDR. Question: do you pay any games that actually use HDR including and even HDR setting in their menu? If the answer is yes, should you turn on Windows HDR to play the game and turn it off later? I was playing around with the pre-release version of Diablo IV and it has this setting. I can't play it any more until the official release on 06/06/2023. Just wondering if it's a good idea to turn HDR on before playing it.

Another interesting question: do any of you guys use Microsoft Edge or have it installed as a secondary browser? I'm not too much a fan of their widgets, but they will not open unless Edge is installed. Other links involving Micro$haft won't open either. I asking if you think it's a good idea to install it as secondary, using Firefox as primary.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on April 08, 2023, 06:36 AMFollowing Shadow's advice I managed to get an ISO of Win11 22H2 and, sure enough, it installed flawlessly. Just like on the laptop, Windows Update is broken. Let me see if I can get these pending update numbers and install them manually. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

The start menu is broken too. You right-click on and item and nothing appears. If it worked you'd see options to pin it or put it on the taskbar. Nothing! I might even do something I swore I'd never do: install Scarface's Classic Shell. I don't know if it works on Win11 but let me give it a look.

Shadow: You who are the expert on this. You are correct in that turning on Windows HDR makes no sense at all. I read that this is what happens when you impose an HDR setting and the content of the screen is SDR. Question: do you pay any games that actually use HDR including and even HDR setting in their menu? If the answer is yes, should you turn on Windows HDR to play the game and turn it off later? I was playing around with the pre-release version of Diablo IV and it has this setting. I can't play it any more until the official release on 06/06/2023. Just wondering if it's a good idea to turn HDR on before playing it.

Another interesting question: do any of you guys use Microsoft Edge or have it installed as a secondary browser? I'm not too much a fan of their widgets, but they will not open unless Edge is installed. Other links involving Micro$haft won't open either. I asking if you think it's a good idea to install it as secondary, using Firefox as primary.
I don't know if any of the games I play do use HDR. I find that the only times HDR seems to be relevant is when people talk about how bright they want to make their monitors. But I don't really enjoy that aspect, especially in games. I like it when black isnt pitch black, and when white isnt piercing my eyes :D

I personally only use Firefox. Only time I do not use it is when a certain software forces me to use chrome based browser, at that point I just use Edge. Because I see no advantage of chrome over Edge.

One example would be Bing-GPT, the bing chat. It's quite useful at times, but they force you to use edge. Oddly enough it works perfectly fine by changing user agent or firefox on the phone.
Makes me frown.

My friend wants me to join in on Diablo IV, but I don't think I'll have the energy to pick such a game up. I hold a big grudge against blizzard for killing Overwatch 1and replacing it with an inferior(to me) version. As well as messing up so massively on Warcraft 3 reforged. Might end up getting D4 on sale. But for now, I just don't want to put money in their wallets.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on April 09, 2023, 03:30 PMI don't know if any of the games I play do use HDR. I find that the only times HDR seems to be relevant is when people talk about how bright they want to make their monitors. But I don't really enjoy that aspect, especially in games. I like it when black isnt pitch black, and when white isnt piercing my eyes :D

Let me clarify: you refer only to games that don't specifically support HDR. By this I mean in the settings there no button or items that specifically allows you to select HDR. Diablo IV has that. In fact with my old monitor it would not allow me to select it because the monitor didn't support HDR and only had a refresh rate of 60Hz. My new one bumps it up to 165Hz on display port and 120Hz on HDMI, and specifically supports HDR. I use display port.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on April 09, 2023, 03:30 PMI personally only use Firefox. Only time I do not use it is when a certain software forces me to use chrome based browser, at that point I just use Edge. Because I see no advantage of chrome over Edge.

But with Edge installed Firefox can still remain as the default browser, right? Currently I have the Iron browser installed as secondary. This is because there are sites out there that prefer or work better with Chromium. Based on what you're telling me it's not a bad idea to install Edge as secondary and get rid of Iron.

Do you need a Microsoft account to use Edge or will it fully function without one?

Quote from: Shadow.97 on April 09, 2023, 03:30 PMOne example would be Bing-GPT, the bing chat. It's quite useful at times, but they force you to use edge. Oddly enough it works perfectly fine by changing user agent or firefox on the phone.

Bing GPT works with Android Firefox? Interesting. May I ask: what exactly do you mean by a user agent?

Quote from: Shadow.97 on April 09, 2023, 03:30 PMMy friend wants me to join in on Diablo IV, but I don't think I'll have the energy to pick such a game up. I hold a big grudge against blizzard for killing Overwatch 1and replacing it with an inferior(to me) version. As well as messing up so massively on Warcraft 3 reforged. Might end up getting D4 on sale. But for now, I just don't want to put money in their wallets.

Fully understandable. Keep in mind you'd only be paying for Diablo IV assuming you liked it. I've been playing Diablo since it first came out. It's the only game where I overcame the learning curve. Every company has good games and bad games. Just get the good ones.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on April 10, 2023, 04:53 AMLet me clarify: you refer only to games that don't specifically support HDR.
I've played some game that had a HDR toggle, I didnt find it worth my monitor turning off then on again when launching the game, then turning the screen off and on again when tabbing out. Not sure if it's a bug or feature. But sure is annoying.

Quote from: humbert on April 10, 2023, 04:53 AMDo you need a Microsoft account to use Edge or will it fully function without one?
Windows 11 is MUCH tighter integrated with microsoft account. Edge was preinstalled with 10, as with 11.
Unless you specifically uninstall edge it will still be there, and still function.
They don't give an easy way to uninstall it. Unsure about account requirement, i was automatically signed in to edge.

Quote from: humbert on April 10, 2023, 04:53 AMBing GPT works with Android Firefox? Interesting. May I ask: what exactly do you mean by a user agent?

A useragent is the string of text the browser sends to the website to inform what browser you are running.

For example. A phone running android firefox might have:
Mozilla/5.0 (Android 4.4; Mobile; rv:41.0) Gecko/41.0 Firefox/41.0

A mac might have:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/104.0.5112.79 Safari/537.36

It informs what versions of things you run, so the site can adapt content, block, or collect data.

Plugins exist that allow you to easily change user agents if a site blocks a specific browser, or introduce faulty code just for one browser type.