• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Scarface ->  Does the version of Windows 11 you posted nag you about TPM or did you somehow disable that? Also, all those other programs you mentioned that are on there. Did you put them there or did they come with the OS? I'm asking because I know Micro$haft loves to preload all kinds of unnecessary garbage on their OS'. Naturally they get paid by the vermin who develop this unwanted garbage.

I'm not too clear about what TPM actually does or if it somehow interferes with what you. Secure boot is a major problem. What if you need to boot from a flashdrive to do a full restore - or anything else, for that matter? Does this mean you can't restore? What about those people who run dual boot, i.e., Windows and a distro of Linux? Can't do that either? Hopefully somebody will figure a way to disable these annoyances.

I have had far, far more problems with these "security" protocols than whatever they're trying to protect me from.

With respect to your comment about Windows 11 not being really needed, you're correct. Remember, however, that if history has taught us anything it's that upgrades are an inevitable fact of life. Ask those die-hard XP lovers, not to even mention those who were addicted to MS-Dos.

scarface

Quote from: Shadow.97 on July 05, 2021, 05:57 AM
Is this based on the insider version or leaked?
I think It's a leaked version. Allegedly, it can be considered as a RTM version because the core of the OS is complete.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on July 05, 2021, 06:29 AM
Scarface ->  Does the version of Windows 11 you posted nag you about TPM or did you somehow disable that? Also, all those other programs you mentioned that are on there. Did you put them there or did they come with the OS? I'm asking because I know Micro$haft loves to preload all kinds of unnecessary garbage on their OS'. Naturally they get paid by the vermin who develop this unwanted garbage.

I'm not too clear about what TPM actually does or if it somehow interferes with what you. Secure boot is a major problem. What if you need to boot from a flashdrive to do a full restore - or anything else, for that matter? Does this mean you can't restore? What about those people who run dual boot, i.e., Windows and a distro of Linux? Can't do that either? Hopefully somebody will figure a way to disable these annoyances.

I have had far, far more problems with these "security" protocols than whatever they're trying to protect me from.

With respect to your comment about Windows 11 not being really needed, you're correct. Remember, however, that if history has taught us anything it's that upgrades are an inevitable fact of life. Ask those die-hard XP lovers, not to even mention those who were addicted to MS-Dos.
Under vmware, I had no problem whatsoever. However there is no secure boot in the bios of Vmware v12 since it's an old version. I didn't have to do anything about this TPM either, but my computer is probably compatible. It can be bypassed anyway: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-bypass-the-windows-11-tpm-20-requirement/
If you want to check if your computer is compatible, you can use this: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7416-windows-11-compatibility-tool.html
Mine is not compatible because it says the PC must support secure boot. I use legacy boot because in order to boot a modified version of windows it is required. Therefore if secure boot is needed for this version, I'm not sure this version can be installed, I'll try this on vmware 16.
Of course the programs did not come with the OS, but you can still delete the $OEM$ folder (roughly 400mb saved) if you don't want them. Some programs were installed via sysprep and are included in the esd image, essentially the small ones like winrar or 7zip...

scarface

Quote from: humbert on July 05, 2021, 06:29 AM
Apparently you won't be able to install this with old processors. But I think that windows 10 is largely sufficient in case you have an old intel Skylake or Haswell.

Note that I tried to install it and I was a bit surprised to see that the installation was working with a disabled secure boot. But I didn't proceed with the installation.
I used to make usb keys with the NTFS format and I remember that I had to use legacy mode in order to boot the key (with windows 10 at least). This time I used Rufus to make the usb key, and I used the Fat32 format as explained in this message, it worked: https://superuser.com/questions/1610967/how-to-slipstream-windows-10-with-uefi-and-secure-boot-enabled/1610968#1610968

humbert

Quote from: scarface on July 05, 2021, 02:34 PM
Note that I tried to install it and I was a bit surprised to see that the installation was working with a disabled secure boot. But I didn't proceed with the installation.
I used to make usb keys with the NTFS format and I remember that I had to use legacy mode in order to boot the key (with windows 10 at least). This time I used Rufus to make the usb key, and I used the Fat32 format as explained in this message, it worked: https://superuser.com/questions/1610967/how-to-slipstream-windows-10-with-uefi-and-secure-boot-enabled/1610968#1610968

What I can't understand about this secure boot garbage is this: what if your copy of Windows 11 became so damaged it won't boot, but FORTUNATELY you made a backup. How do you boot from a USB drive (or any other media) to access the backup file and do a full restore from it?

scarface

Quote from: scarface on July 05, 2021, 02:34 PM
What I can't understand about this secure boot garbage is this: what if your copy of Windows 11 became so damaged it won't boot, but FORTUNATELY you made a backup. How do you boot from a USB drive (or any other media) to access the backup file and do a full restore from it?
I might be wrong but secure boot is probably only used for the installation support (at least for windows 10, I don't know what's in store for the new version), preventing you from installing from an unverified support. Apparently, usb keys formatted with a Fat 32 format can be booted while secure boot is on but not NTFS, that's why I had problems the last time I did an installation with a NTFS formatted key till I disabled secure boot.
In my opinion, this tpm 2 might be a sleight of hand to prompt consumers to buy new hardware. I'm pretty sure that 10 year-old computers would be able to run windows 11.

scarface

Note that the version of windows 11 above was updated, with TPM 2 and secure boot checks disabled: https://mega.nz/file/VE8miABb#Jv-1Fcl-NX3C_WK_APfs-kf3LHP8kXlge8z0qT9UK0w

humbert

Quote from: scarface on July 09, 2021, 01:09 AM
Note that the version of windows 11 above was updated, with TPM 2 and secure boot checks disabled: https://mega.nz/file/VE8miABb#Jv-1Fcl-NX3C_WK_APfs-kf3LHP8kXlge8z0qT9UK0w

How did you manage to disable TPM 2.0 and secure boot? I thought this was hard coded into the OS.

I remember not to long ago Shadow predicted that someone will find a way to make Windows 11 work on just about any PC that can run Windows 10 - not to mention TPM 2.0 and secure boot. Let's hope both he and you are right. These restrictions are oppressive.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on July 10, 2021, 04:58 AM
How did you manage to disable TPM 2.0 and secure boot? I thought this was hard coded into the OS.
I remember not to long ago Shadow predicted that someone will find a way to make Windows 11 work on just about any PC that can run Windows 10 - not to mention TPM 2.0 and secure boot. Let's hope both he and you are right. These restrictions are oppressive.
Actually, the solution was on the website "winaero.com" and it wasn't difficult:

Replace install.esd in the official Windows 10 ISO:
Go to the official Windows 10 website and download Media Creation Tool. Use is to download Windows 10 ISO for your computer. Skip this step if you already have one
Open the downloaded Windows 10 ISO image in UltraISO.
Delete the existing sources\install.esd file you see in UltraISO.
Drag and drop the X:\Path\install.esd you have created onto the UltraISO window to place it instead of the deleted file.
Click on Save or press Ctrl + S in UltraISO to alter the ISO image.
Now you have a fresh Windows 11 ISO file ready for installation on computers without TPM 2.0. Install it as a regular Windows 10.

humbert

Yes, I went to that site and noticed that there were actually 2 ways to disable TPM. Notice that the date on that article is June 21, 3 days before the official release. Clearly Micro$oft is backpedaling on all this, otherwise it would be much harder to disable TPM if not impossible.

I installed Scarface's Win11 as a VM with VirtualBox. It installed in less than 5 minutes without a hitch, which is unprecedented. I noticed that the Win11 VM runs faster and smoother than Win10. If indeed this new OS requires a newer and stronger CPU to run, then how is it that runs faster than its predecessor on a virtual machine where performance is always less than on a host computer? I'm convinced these restrictions are artificially imposed to get everybody to upgrade and will eventually be disabled the same way TPM was.

As is always the case, the amount of unnecessary, pre-loaded garbage is monumental. You have to put Hibit Uninstaller and delete, delete, delete, delete! Even then you can't get it all. There are garbage programs that don't even appear in Control Panel's "Programs and Features" page. I'd guess you have to go into their folders and look for an uninstaller. If none is there then delete the directory, look in the Appdata folder for more stuff, and clean the registry. What is most irritating is that it's not enough the Micro$oft pre-loads this trash, they actually want you to use it!

I'm sure you all agree that it's way too early to move to Win11. Let's let developers find ways to manage this thing and get it to work the way is should.