• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 04, 2022, 05:53 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on December 03, 2022, 09:41 PMDoes make sense though, it might take few months to fix start menu and other bugs. It seems W12 might be arriving.
Really? Have they said anything about it or is this just speculation? Maybe they've decided to rewrite Win11.
For now only speculations and rumors.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 04, 2022, 06:01 PMFor now only speculations and rumors.

With these guys you never know. As I recall when Win10 came out, they said this would be the last version. I wish they would have kept their word.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 05, 2022, 04:51 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on December 04, 2022, 06:01 PMFor now only speculations and rumors.

With these guys you never know. As I recall when Win10 came out, they said this would be the last version. I wish they would have kept their word.
In a way it's part-true because Win 10 is the last Windows my existing PCs could run!

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 06, 2022, 07:23 PMIn a way it's part-true because Win 10 is the last Windows my existing PCs could run!

Ahhh... you said "existing" PC's as in the present tense. At this moment that limitation is easy to disable. All you need to do is use Rufus. By the time they start closing that door, everyone will be running a Win11 compatible PC. Technology moves forward at light speed.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 08, 2022, 04:51 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on December 06, 2022, 07:23 PMIn a way it's part-true because Win 10 is the last Windows my existing PCs could run!

Ahhh... you said "existing" PC's as in the present tense. At this moment that limitation is easy to disable. All you need to do is use Rufus. By the time they start closing that door, everyone will be running a Win11 compatible PC. Technology moves forward at light speed.
Already have that tweak enabled in my Win 11 ISOs but its slower and buggy from what I tried in earlier builds wherein reqmts were more relaxed. After seeing Win 11 PCs which has buggy start menu and disappearing menus and other issues Win 11 will take around 2-3 years just like Win 10 to get accepted by masses.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 08, 2022, 09:11 PMAlready have that tweak enabled in my Win 11 ISOs but its slower and buggy from what I tried in earlier builds wherein reqmts were more relaxed. After seeing Win 11 PCs which has buggy start menu and disappearing menus and other issues Win 11 will take around 2-3 years just like Win 10 to get accepted by masses.

I agree. The problem is that Micro$haft isn't fully supporting newer hardware on W10. That's the only reason I had to install Win11 on the new lappie. A quick example is Wifi 6E. On Win11 it works, on W10 it doesn't. Why? M$ purposely disabled it on W10 to force you to "upgrade" to W11. And so it is with some other hardware.

The buggy start menu is correct, mine is very buggy! Also, there is no question the problem with Windows Update is buggy. When you google it all you read is 5,000 different fixes that MIGHT work. There is never a concrete answer with a solution. Fortunately there's a workaround. I was able to manually download and install regular updates. I also found a way to manually download and install Windows Store apps. The majority of the Store apps I use were successfully installed. A small number of some others didn't install. I should mention there appears to be nothing wrong with the Store app itself. The problem is Windows Update, and that's what the store uses.

As you said, give it another year or so for them to get the kinks out. In the mean time we are all beta testers -- and (for some) paying for the privelege.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 10, 2022, 05:46 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on December 08, 2022, 09:11 PMAlready have that tweak enabled in my Win 11 ISOs but its slower and buggy from what I tried in earlier builds wherein reqmts were more relaxed. After seeing Win 11 PCs which has buggy start menu and disappearing menus and other issues Win 11 will take around 2-3 years just like Win 10 to get accepted by masses.

I agree. The problem is that Micro$haft isn't fully supporting newer hardware on W10. That's the only reason I had to install Win11 on the new lappie. A quick example is Wifi 6E. On Win11 it works, on W10 it doesn't. Why? M$ purposely disabled it on W10 to force you to "upgrade" to W11. And so it is with some other hardware.

The buggy start menu is correct, mine is very buggy! Also, there is no question the problem with Windows Update is buggy. When you google it all you read is 5,000 different fixes that MIGHT work. There is never a concrete answer with a solution. Fortunately there's a workaround. I was able to manually download and install regular updates. I also found a way to manually download and install Windows Store apps. The majority of the Store apps I use were successfully installed. A small number of some others didn't install. I should mention there appears to be nothing wrong with the Store app itself. The problem is Windows Update, and that's what the store uses.

As you said, give it another year or so for them to get the kinks out. In the mean time we are all beta testers -- and (for some) paying for the privelege.
Wasn't aware of that Wifi  6e driver issue since 6E was added along with wpa3 via Win 10 20H2 and drivers were pending due to certification on most intel ax,realtek etc.
If you are able to install updates as cab or msu files along with store appx suggests win update is fine and apps aren't broken and functioning normally. In case you want auto update or package manager for windows that updates app/libs you can try winget package manager

You can try these cmds after installing msixbundle file. Open cmd prompt or windows terminal as admin or standard user
winget upgrade "PackageId" # replace "PackageId" with apps listed which has updates
winget search Git # search for packages or apps
Currently that's the only hope Win 11 will get better over time.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 10, 2022, 09:12 PMWasn't aware of that Wifi  6e driver issue since 6E was added along with wpa3 via Win 10 20H2 and drivers were pending due to certification on most intel ax,realtek etc.

I remember I bought a 6E WiFi card some 6 months ago. WiFi 6 worked but 6E was invisible. When I googled it said the problem was W10 and if I wanted 6E then I must upgrade to Win11. If the latest W10 version fixed this issue I'm not aware of it.

Quote from: Vasudev on December 10, 2022, 09:12 PMIf you are able to install updates as cab or msu files along with store appx suggests win update is fine and apps aren't broken and functioning normally. In case you want auto update or package manager for windows that updates app/libs you can try winget package manager

I can install msu files by double clicking. Haven't been able to install cabs - there is no rightclick-install for them and double-clicking just opens them like if they were zips. I was unaware there was a winget program, let alone how to use it. I downloaded the msixbundle file and I'll install it. I have no idea how to use it. Please post a little tutorial with some examples. Honestly I didn't understand the 2 lines you posted.

As usual, when it comes to these things, you're the man!  :)

Shadow.97

Been using windows 11 since the 6th now.
Going a bit nuts about not being able to rightclick the taskbar and going to task manager this way, and being unable to have a pinned folder to the taskbar.
Ended up tweaking the horrendous rightclick on desktop menu using regedit.
Start menu lagged when using a microsoft account. Created a local account after the nasty forced microsoft account on windows setup. When using local account it does not lag.

Other than that, I see a lot of improvements over Windows 10 in terms of UI. Unfortunately the settings panel is still a mess with good settings being extremely well hidden. Such as the classic sound panel. Some just takes getting used to.

My fave improvements are:
Start menu pins.
Icon "attention" orange blink being more gentle
General icons are prettier
Settings panel is better
Better task manager

I dont see a lot of negatives with W11 so far. I just hope they resolve these issues.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 14, 2022, 03:27 AMBeen using windows 11 since the 6th now.
Going a bit nuts about not being able to rightclick the taskbar and going to task manager this way, and being unable to have a pinned folder to the taskbar.

I reverted to the Windows 10 rightclick menu using the Group Policy Editor. After than just use Sordum's menu editor to get it the way you want.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 14, 2022, 03:27 AMEnded up tweaking the horrendous rightclick on desktop menu using regedit.

I prefer Regcool.  :)

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 14, 2022, 03:27 AMStart menu lagged when using a microsoft account. Created a local account after the nasty forced microsoft account on windows setup. When using local account it does not lag.

Do you have a preinstalled copy? In the event you do a fresh install, Rufus gives you the option of disabling the near-mandatory Micro$haft account as well as all their other stupid requirements. There are also tons of copies on the torrents pre-activated and with all their other garbage pre-disabled. I used one of those and it's working great. I refuse to use MSI's bloat-infested preinstalled copy.

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 14, 2022, 03:27 AMI dont see a lot of negatives with W11 so far. I just hope they resolve these issues.

Are you having trouble with Windows Update and it's children, such as Windows Store downloads? If not, maybe you know something I don't. Every attempt I've made to fix it has failed.