• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

(New) Testing Anti Virus Suites

Started by Vasudev, June 02, 2014, 12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Last night I got fed up, removed Avast and re-enabled Windows Defender. Why? Too many false positives. Also, Avast is supposedly freeware. Actually it's nagware. It nags and constantly reminds you your computer is unsafe unless you pay them money. As I see it, freeware is freeware - no nags nor is anything crippled. Everything else is either crippleware or nagware, and I hate them both with a passion.

I guess the only other real good antivirus-antimalware program I've been running is Malwarebytes 2.21.1043. They "upgraded" it, added all kinds of "features" and in the process turned a good program into a bad one.

I'd say with these 2 programs (especially Avast) I average probably 25 false positives for 1 real detection. From now on if I download a suspicious program, I'll simply upload it to virustotal.com and check it out that way.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on May 13, 2017, 03:22 AM
Last night I got fed up, removed Avast and re-enabled Windows Defender. Why? Too many false positives. Also, Avast is supposedly freeware. Actually it's nagware. It nags and constantly reminds you your computer is unsafe unless you pay them money. As I see it, freeware is freeware - no nags nor is anything crippled. Everything else is either crippleware or nagware, and I hate them both with a passion.

I guess the only other real good antivirus-antimalware program I've been running is Malwarebytes 2.21.1043. They "upgraded" it, added all kinds of "features" and in the process turned a good program into a bad one.

I'd say with these 2 programs (especially Avast) I average probably 25 false positives for 1 real detection. From now on if I download a suspicious program, I'll simply upload it to virustotal.com and check it out that way.
If you are on W10, use defender, I'm using the same and so far its good. No nags and stuffs. Head over to Majorgeeks to download MBAM 2.x, I didn't like MBAM 3.x, still using 2.x.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on May 13, 2017, 05:18 PM
If you are on W10, use defender, I'm using the same and so far its good. No nags and stuffs. Head over to Majorgeeks to download MBAM 2.x, I didn't like MBAM 3.x, still using 2.x.

MBAM 2.xx is awesome. I'm not sure if you can tell it to continue downloading virus definitions WITHOUT forcibly upgrading the program. One thing I hate is when these developers add "features" to a great program and end up breaking it.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on May 21, 2017, 02:54 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on May 13, 2017, 05:18 PM

MBAM 2.xx is awesome. I'm not sure if you can tell it to continue downloading virus definitions WITHOUT forcibly upgrading the program. One thing I hate is when these developers add "features" to a great program and end up breaking it.
Yes 99% rather than enhancing the app, they break the app like MSFT.

scarface

If some of you are using windows 10 2004, maybe you noticed that the edition of virusscan enterprise can't be installed. Well, msft is just preventing "setupvse.exe" from installing the piece of software. Apparently it's not the only application they are blocking (maybe mcafee gave no bakchich?). To bypass it, renaming the application is enough.

Here is a new silent installer of vse 8.8]with patch 16 (released on 8 December 2020), compatible with windows 10 20H2 and with windows 7 -  Not available anymore since it's now obsolete and replaced with Mcafee endpoint security.

Note: you just have to execute the program to get it installed. It can take up to 20 minutes, don't reboot before seeing the antivirus in the programs and features list, otherwise the installation could be botched.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on April 30, 2018, 10:13 PM
If some of you are using windows 10 RS4, maybe you noticed that the edition of virusscan enterprise can't be installed. Well, msft is just preventing "setupvse.exe" from installing the piece of software. Apparently it's not the only application they are blocking (maybe mcafee gave no bakchich?). To bypass it, renaming the application is enough.

Here is a new silent installer of vse 8.8 with patch 10, compatible with windows 10 RS4 and with windows 7 ("setupvse" has become "msetupvse"): https://ufile.io/4vf0x
Here is a silent installer of the patch 11 that was released recently (vse8.8 must be installed): https://ufile.io/2hre2

Note: you just have to execute the program to get it installed. It can take up to 20 minutes, don't reboot before seeing the antivirus in the programs and features list, otherwise the install could be botched.

Nice.

humbert

Does anybody have a working copy of Malwarebytes AntiMalware? I got hit by some malware the other day. It got past Windows Defender with no problem. Malwarebytes Free doesn't monitor the OS in real time, so it's not very useful unless you intend to scan manually all the time. I haven't found a cracked copy on the torrents that works like it's supposed to.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on April 03, 2019, 06:03 AM
Does anybody have a working copy of Malwarebytes AntiMalware? I got hit by some malware the other day. It got past Windows Defender with no problem. Malwarebytes Free doesn't monitor the OS in real time, so it's not very useful unless you intend to scan manually all the time. I haven't found a cracked copy on the torrents that works like it's supposed to.
You are lucky, I put it there: https://mega.nz/#!BQlWAaTI!q7XojdiHFcXWwn2n-WTTBO9FeDjVw31Yrq1-7UHQrOU

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on April 03, 2019, 06:03 AM
MBAM 3.x is pretty much useless on free version. While, MBAM 2.x detected threats in free mode but doesn't disinfect it. It better to burn Anti-virus LiveCD from Kaspersky/ESET and put it on USB. I found AiOBoot to be great alternative for dual mode UEFI and BIOS/Legacy booting.

humbert

Vasu -> The only issue with using an anti-virus live CD or USB is that it doesn't catch the malware before it gets a chance to infect your system. Malwarebytes is great at this. Be that as it may, it's not a bad idea to have some sort of antivirus USB drive in case malware gets through. What do you recommend? Does Strelec's ISO have something useful?

Scarface -> Thanks for your copy of Malwarebytes. You forgot the instructions so it took me a while to learn to do things in proper order. Let me ask:

1) Is there any way to get rid of that nag about no license server? Can you still use it despite the nag? My previous copies had the same nag got to a point where Malwarebytes went to the free version and did not allow me to continue using the premium version.

2) Did you disable Windows Defender? I see no reason to continue using it. Compared to Malwarebytes it's all but worthless. What did you do?