• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

World Cup 2014

Started by humbert, June 13, 2014, 05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Certainly the American team is much improved, but they're still not on the same level as Brazil, Germany or the Netherlands. I honestly don't think they'll get past Belgium in their first 2nd round game. They are, however, well on their way to becoming another powerhouse. Incidentally, in New York, Chicago and other US cities, large groups of people were gathered around big TV's to cheer the team on - a first for this country.

Both Ghana and Croatia are excellent teams, but sadly they ended up in difficult groups. Argentina is also a very good team, but they ended up in probably the easiest group.

Honduras imploded long before they got on the plane to Brazil. Their gameplay in the friendly matches that preceeded the World Cup was horrendous.

In the end, I don't think Brazil can be beaten at home.

humbert

Did you check out today's games (2014/6/28)? It's really sad the way Chile lost after playing to the very best of their ability. I really feel bad for a team whose hopes are dashed by losing a penalty kick shootout. I wish FIFA had a better way to settle matches that can't end in a draw. Imagine in Brazil had lost that shootout - mass suicide!

Not only did Colombia play great, but Uruguay imploded in the 2nd half. Fouls, fights and yellow cards - that's no way to lose.

As for your comments regarding the Croatian team, I can only say they played great despite the problems you were telling me about. I'd go as far as to say they lost their first game against Brazil with plenty of help from the referree.

humbert

Regarding Algeria, I agree completely! The same can be said of the other teams who didn't win in the 2nd round, in particular the ones who lost in the penalty kick shootout. You're correct that asking the players to continue playing after 120 minutes is impossible, and even worse in the humid, tropical conditions found in most Brazilian cities. I suppose the only alternative to penalty kicks would be something a rogue league here in the USA did 30 years ago - the kicker starts some 10 meters away from the goalkeeper and has 5 seconds to kick for a goal. In the mean time both the kicker and goalkeeper can move around. It was sort of like a penalty shot in hockey.

You're correct regarding the referees. I don't know why you disagree with the idea of having the refs review close calls on TV, especially since, as you said, the likelihood of costly mistakes is forever prevalent. I believe FIFA has already approved "goal line technology" to make sure 100% of the ball crossed the white line. It's time to extend this to close calls too.

fuj -> briefly changing the topic - Croatian and Serbian are 2 distinct languages, right? Are they close enough to almost not need a translator? Do you speak both? And finally - were you around when Yugoslavia existed? What did they speak in Yugoslavia?

humbert

Clearly in order to put in any kind of review policy, FIFA would have to put restrictions. In the NFL you have 2 or 3 reviews per half and, if the review doesn't go your way, you're charged with a time out. I suppose anything is better than to continue allowing those horrendous calls that probably cost Croatia the first game, not to even mention other teams who benefitted despite the fact that they were not the home team. For example, in the Mexico-Uruguay game, a Uruguayan player stopped a goal using both hands in the penalty area - as clear as possible on the replay, and the referee swallowed the whistle.

Regarding my other questions, I asked because back in the days of Marshal Tito, the altas listed the language of Yugoslavia as "Serbo-Croat", and yet now the languages are listed separately. Naturally you explained everything for me. I also know there's an awful lot of bad blood over there. This is understandable because the war was full of atrocities. It was never my intention to ask anything about it.

scarface

I'm not watching the world cup but I'm following the results. I know Maher is supporting Brazil but I don't think they are going to win. Costa Rica would be a surprise if they won. As for humbert, I guess he might be disappointed the US lost against Belgium. Until now, France has been impressive, they could win if they continue like that.
We have not heard the forecasts of Ahmad though. I assume he has a favorite too.

humbert

The USA-Belgium match was horrendous. Half the time the Belgian goalkeeper was falling asleep on his end of the pitch, whereas the American goalie was stopping one shot after another. Team USA finally did something in 2nd half of the 30 minute over time period. Too little, too late. Mexico-Brazil was heart stopping.

Brazil totally dominated in today's game against Colombia. And of course, Germany is Germany. :)  I don't think Brazil can be beaten at home.

Thanks for your recommendation on Å¡ljivovica. Tell me something about it. Is this a drink or a bottle? What's in it other than alcohol?

humbert

Can you believe what happened today? (8/7/2014) - Germany 7 - Brazil 1 --  I watched the match in total disbelief. I thought that the only way to beat Brazil at home was to end up in a penalty kick shootout and get lucky.

What do you think?

Ahmad

I didn't see the match and I was shocked this morning.
This is very heavy !!
Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.

humbert

Do you think Germany can tear Argentina apart in the final game the way they did with Brazil? After all, Argentina lucked out - 2 Dutchmen missed their penalty kicks.

Did you guys see the replay on the goal Argentina scored and was disallowed because of offside? It was very, very close.

humbert

Yes, let's wait to see what happens on Sunday. They also have a 3rd place game on Saturday. I think that's silly. Who cares what team has 3rd place when even the 2nd place team is quickly forgotten.

Briefly changing the topic: as you requested I killed that spammy topic. Guess what? After that I found another spam, pointing to the very same suspicious download site. That one's dead too.