• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

CD covers/CD flac tracks

Started by scarface, January 16, 2024, 09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

I'm opening a new topic for those who are looking for old CD covers or CD tracks.

I'm also posting a tutorial below for those who want to reduce the size of their Flac tracks.

First you need to install fre:ac - free audio converter
But the default fdk AAC encoder does not provide good quality. That's why the bitrate of files created with default options (256) is quite high. However fre:ac supports the Apple Core Audio AAC encoder which provides very good quality (the bitrate can be much lower than with fdk AAC while retaining the same or even higher perceived quality). To use the Core Audio encoder with fre:ac, you need to install iTunes or just AppleApplicationSupport64.msi.

Then choose the Core audio AAC encoder.For high-quality music, the LC or Low Complexity profile should be preferred. The Flac files can be converted to m4a files using this method with a substantial gain of hard drive space.

scarface

humbert

Who still uses CD's? If there are any left they're rapidly headed for extinction. Do they even sell CD players any more? Cars no longer have them.

Let me ask you something. If you heard a 320kbps mp3 song and then the very same song if flac, could you tell the difference? I don't think I could.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on January 23, 2024, 05:38 AMWho still uses CD's? If there are any left they're rapidly headed for extinction. Do they even sell CD players any more? Cars no longer have them.

Let me ask you something. If you heard a 320kbps mp3 song and then the very same song if flac, could you tell the difference? I don't think I could.
Actually, I had a lot of CDs, and I wanted to rip them into a digital library. But I lost one of the covers, hence my request.
Who is talking about CDs? I'm talking about CD tracks here, in Flac format (https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/what-is-flac-the-high-def-mp3-explained/)
What's more, I added a tutorial to to convert FLAC to M4A.
FLAC, which stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, is an open-source audio compression format that aims to deliver audio in a way that is both high-quality and lossless. But FLAC files are typically larger in size than M4A files. The M4A file format is a digital audio format developed by Apple Inc. It is primarily used to store audio files that are encoded using the Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) codec.
M4A is better than MP3 hands down as long as it uses AAC audio codec.
If you want, you can download this to see the sound quality of a M4A file: https://file.io/iBcctdAiEjPI

humbert

Quote from: scarface on January 23, 2024, 09:59 PMFLAC, which stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, is an open-source audio compression format that aims to deliver audio in a way that is both high-quality and lossless. But FLAC files are typically larger in size than M4A files. The M4A file format is a digital audio format developed by Apple Inc. It is primarily used to store audio files that are encoded using the Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) codec.
M4A is better than MP3 hands down as long as it uses AAC audio codec.

I've heard of music in flac format. For obvious reasons they're much bigger than MP3's. What I'm not clear about is if you convert a large flac file to a smaller m4a, is there any loss in quality? Does the conversion involve compression or simply recoding it to AAC?

I didn't know you could burn flac files to a CD. Is there sufficient room on the CD to accomodate several tracks and not have loss?

I downloaded that song. Sounds OK. Do you have an mp3 copy so I can compare?