• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 10 Support

Started by Vasudev, December 13, 2014, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

straycat19

Quote from: usmangujjar on March 20, 2015, 05:33 AM
the latest build Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10041, anyone tried??

I installed this update.  Note:  You must be running build 9926 to update, if you are running a leaked build it won't work.  This build is not sufficient to run on your production/game/development computer.  There are some things missing. You might not even find Mail, Calendar, and People. But if you do, you can easily tell that they’re toast â€" their tiles will look weird (saying @{Microsoft.win or something equally incomprehensible) â€" and when you click the tiles, absolutely nothing happens.

If you really want those three Universal apps, here’s how to bring them back:

Click or tap Start/All apps/Windows System. Right-click PowerShell and choose Run as Administrator.
Copy the following command into PowerShell and press Enter:

get-appxprovisionedpackage -online | where-object {$_.packagename -like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage -online

That’s all one line. If it pastes into PowerShell as multiple lines, you need to go in and manually remove the page breaks. (I recommend pasting or entering the command into Notepad, just in case you need to paste it into PowerShell again.)

PowerShell should return three lines that look like this:
Path:

Online: True

RestartNeeded: False

If you don’t see those three lines, go back and make sure you (a) ran PowerShell as administrator and (b) copied the command line correctly. Run it again if need be.

Close PowerShell, click Start/All Apps, and then click the green Store icon. (The black Store (beta) icon won’t work.)
In the store, enter Mail in the search box and then click the “Mail, Calendar, and People” app when it appears. (They’re all just one app.) Choose Install.
Once the notification pops up that “Mail, Calendar, and People” is installed, close out of the Store. Click Start/All apps, then click the first @{Microsoft.win tile on the left. That should bring up the People app. Click on the next tile, and you should see Metro Mail. Click on the third tile and get Calendar.
See why I warned you that build 10041 isn’t appropriate for your production/game/development computer?

I am running it as a dual boot with Win 8.1 though you could run it in a virtual machine but running it in dual boot lets me test its ability to install actual hardware drivers.

humbert

@straycat19 - Did you download and install the Windows 10 preview version just to play around with it on another computer? In my opinion this is the only reason that makes sense. Never get these pre-release alpha versions for every day use. Let them fix it first -- and trust me, eventually they will.

scarface

Here you can find windows 10 RTM, released today: http://microsoft-news.com/download-windows-10-rtm-build-10240-iso/
Well I don't have the courage to look for answers, so is there anyone who knows if the rtm build can be installed over a legit oem version of windows 8.1, and be detected as activated? I heard it was free as an upgrade.

In the meantime, maybe I could trim it with sysprep, maybe harkaz or somebody else would be interested by a reduced version.

humbert

Even if you don't get your copy of Windows 10 on July 29th, it's pretty safe to say you'll have it in less than a month. You can download it from Windows Update where (I assume) it will install over your existing Windows 7 or 8.1. What's the rush of getting all these pre-builds or RTM's? Have some patience.

They're saying "pirates" won't get a copy. If your copy says it's activated and you're downloading updates without a problem, then how do they know you never paid for it?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on July 17, 2015, 03:36 AM
They're saying "pirates" won't get a copy. If your copy says it's activated and you're downloading updates without a problem, then how do they know you never paid for it?
Unlikely Win 10 would be more like Win phone 8.1 wherein OS is tied strictly to device ID I think.

Yoda

Although I have the hardware, I think I ll stay with my Win 7 for the same reason I didn't tried Win 8 too.
For me, Win 10 is something like ... Windows 8.2 ... so... Win7 is fine...  :)
May The Force Be With You ...

scarface

Well I tried windows 10. I found it slower than the previous ones.
I can't stand the new start menu. But at least it's back.

I removed a lot of garbage, like cortana and other folders in winsxs that were hampering the system. There is a new folder "infusedapps" in windows weighing 700mb, I removed it too. Everything seems to work, but in the end, when cloning the image with sysprep, I get an error " Sysprep failed to remove apps for the current user".

Finally I'm going to do like Yoda, but I'm afraid we'll have to upgrade one day because of drivers compatibility. On my current computer with windows 7, I've already been obliged to install the wifi drivers by disabling signature verification...

harkaz

First glitch found: Cannot complete OOBE. It will auto-restart and start from scratch.

Probably this has to do with the fact that I didn't enter a product key (although it was supposed to skip it).

Windows 10 seems rather buggy. Avoid installing it, at least for now.

Vasudev

Quote from: harkaz on July 17, 2015, 10:50 PM
First glitch found: Cannot complete OOBE. It will auto-restart and start from scratch.

Probably this has to do with the fact that I didn't enter a product key (although it was supposed to skip it).

Windows 10 seems rather buggy. Avoid installing it, at least for now.
Just type in product key given to insiders: NKJFK-GPHP7-G8C3J-P6JXR-HQRJR

humbert

@Scarface - When you put that version of Windows 10 in, did you do a clean install or were you able to install it over Windows 7?

It's normal for the first release of anything to have some quirks. They patch these bugs as time goes on. All OS's are like that. Also keep in mind that you're probably installing a pre-release version, unless of course you got your hands on a "leaked" RTM copy or something. Besides, what's the rush? Wait 2 weeks or so for the real thing.

For Yoda and some other Windows 7 lovers, keep in mind you will not be running W7 until the 22nd century. As has always been the case, the day will come when an upgrade becomes mandatory. Maybe not right now, but sooner or later.