• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 10 Support

Started by Vasudev, December 13, 2014, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Windows 10 also has a C:\Windows\System32\spp\store folder. This is where Windows 8.1 stored the activation, and you're urged to make a backup and restore it if necessary. This is for Windows 8.1, but I'm thinking W10 follows the same logic.

@Fuj - Thanks for the links. I'm going to check them out.

a few minutes later:

I just tested Fuj's links. The second link {Destroy Windows 10 Spying} is an absolute must for any Windows 10 user. It even deletes many undeletable Windows 10 apps. The first one {Do Not Spy} tries to sneak a PUP into your system which goes against the nature of what this program is supposed to be about. I proceeded with the installation and tested. Most of the stuff it disables can be done manually. I advise using Destroy Windows 10 Spying and forgetting the other one. It's portable - no installation.

I like uBlock Origin and replaced ABE with it. To configure open the addons page, go to uBlock Origin, click Options, and at the bottom click "Show Dashboard". It's great! I even got rid of Majorgeek's message about ads being blocked! Check it out.

magrat427

Quote from: Vasudev on August 05, 2015, 08:19 PM
Quote from: humbert on August 04, 2015, 09:32 PM
@Vasu - Regarding the installation of W10, the ISO simply installed it over W8.1 with no problems. There is no saving the activation to Onedrive, in fact I have nothing on Onedrive.

@lite - Simply mount the ISO, click setup.exe and just sit back. This is what I did and it worked great. Also, the only difference between a "pirated" copy of Windows and a "non-pirated" one is whether or not you paid for it. If you didn't you have a pirated copy no matter where you go it. Naturally if it came preloaded on a laptop it's a legal copy also since its price was included in the laptop purchase.

@humb: You can't see the license file unless you've coded yourself as one of Win 10 developers. In fact, its hidden. I think it'll stored on ODrive under User Accounts & settings.
But, I've disabled all tracking through custom settings while installing on a VM. I'm impressed with win 10, but I think its win 98 in disguise with under the hood performance improvements.
I hope MS Toolkit 2.5.3 activates my Win 10.
I think settings app should be removed from Win 10 while installing on desktop or laptops. Settings App is best for smartphone & tablets. I'll post some pics of Win 10 in Win 10 thread.
MS Toolkit 2.6 BETA 1 is out and works great: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/28669-Microsoft-Toolkit-Official-KMS-Solution-for-Microsoft-Products

humbert

Quote from: humbert on August 06, 2015, 04:24 AM
I like uBlock Origin and replaced ABE with it. To configure open the addons page, go to uBlock Origin, click Options, and at the bottom click "Show Dashboard". It's great! I even got rid of Majorgeek's message about ads being blocked! Check it out.

This post is probably off the topic, but let me go ahead and finish what I started.

After some more testing there is no question that uBlock Origin is one of the best FF addons I've seen. It's very efficient, very reliable and highly configurable. You can easily remove ABP, ABE, ABP Elements Hider and Greasemonkey with Anti-Adblock script. UBO also supports every filter subscription that's ever been written. When I went into sourceforge to get a file, it blocked the download but gave me the option of making a temporary or permanent exception.  This addon is solid 5 star and I highly recommend it. My thanks to Fuj for altering me to ABE being discontinued. This allowed me to stumble upon UBO.

Vasudev

Looks like my pc doesn't have drivers certified for win 10, too bad.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 09, 2015, 10:53 AM

Do they work or don't they? If they work, just use them and forget everything else. MS keeps insisting any computer than can run Windows 7 or 8.1 will run W10.

What hardware do you have?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 10, 2015, 07:52 PM
Quote from: Vasudev on August 09, 2015, 10:53 AM

Do they work or don't they? If they work, just use them and forget everything else. MS keeps insisting any computer than can run Windows 7 or 8.1 will run W10.

What hardware do you have?
Components are little old, based on Ivybridge. I tested w10 on VM and works fluidly, but lack of driver support for the same has compelled me to stay with w7. Probably I'll upgrade to w10.1 or  SP if there's driver support. So far, I've found drivers for Intel GPU & its chipset SW only for w10.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 11, 2015, 09:59 AM
Components are little old, based on Ivybridge. I tested w10 on VM and works fluidly, but lack of driver support for the same has compelled me to stay with w7. Probably I'll upgrade to w10.1 or  SP if there's driver support. So far, I've found drivers for Intel GPU & its chipset SW only for w10.

Ivy Bridge isn't that old. I'm surprised you're having a problem finding drivers. Have you used one of the many driver finding tools out there?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 12, 2015, 09:16 PM
Quote from: Vasudev on August 11, 2015, 09:59 AM

Ivy Bridge isn't that old. I'm surprised you're having a problem finding drivers. Have you used one of the many driver finding tools out there?
Main concern is I'd lose Dolby audio if win 10 is installed.

Player2

I think that Intel is rude for not making W10 drivers for integrated graphics older than Ivy Bridge processors. They should make drivers for all I series processors. The oldest are from 2010. Nvidia made W10 drivers for 8 series cards from 2007.

Vasudev

Quote from: Player2 on August 12, 2015, 10:16 PM
I think that Intel is rude for not making W10 drivers for integrated graphics older than Ivy Bridge processors. They should make drivers for all I series processors. The oldest are from 2010. Nvidia made W10 drivers for 8 series cards from 2007.
Intel is lazy for supporting & maintaining older chipsets and wants everyone to get a new board/chipset so they could get more money. Nvidia supports older hardware even-though the same runs like crap or stutters like hell on demanding apps or games which is not worth it.