• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 10 Support

Started by Vasudev, December 13, 2014, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on September 13, 2015, 06:49 PM
With Win 10, slipstreaming would be a thing of the past since all users will automatically update to latest updates. But there's a catch, yes updates are massive.

Slipstreaming was useful back in the days of dial-up internet when getting updates through a telephone line took all day. Today everybody has broadband, so all you have to do is let it update in the background. The beauty of it is that the updates don't need to be installed for Windows to run. Just sit back and let it do its thing.

Updates have always been "massive", not to mention it takes a while to get the slipstreamed ISO if you have a slow connection.

My point has always been that slipstreaming, although very nice, is not really necessary. Any one of Maher's old ISO will do just fine.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on September 16, 2015, 04:42 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on September 13, 2015, 06:49 PM
With Win 10, slipstreaming would be a thing of the past since all users will automatically update to latest updates. But there's a catch, yes updates are massive.

Slipstreaming was useful back in the days of dial-up internet when getting updates through a telephone line took all day. Today everybody has broadband, so all you have to do is let it update in the background. The beauty of it is that the updates don't need to be installed for Windows to run. Just sit back and let it do its thing.

Updates have always been "massive", not to mention it takes a while to get the slipstreamed ISO if you have a slow connection.

My point has always been that slipstreaming, although very nice, is not really necessary. Any one of Maher's old ISO will do just fine.
Does Win 10 search work when its service is disabled? I've tried numerous times and found that search no longer works after disabling search service. I reckon that in-place upgrade did the trick for you. On fresh install search cannot be disabled if you use search to run programs & files.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on September 16, 2015, 03:54 PM
Does Win 10 search work when its service is disabled? I've tried numerous times and found that search no longer works after disabling search service. I reckon that in-place upgrade did the trick for you. On fresh install search cannot be disabled if you use search to run programs & files.

I'd have to review my exact settings, but one thing I definitely did do was disable internet search. On my system if I hit Winkey-Q I get search, but it only searches locally. I also disable Cortana, of course.

What are you trying to find in your searches?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on September 18, 2015, 03:56 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on September 16, 2015, 03:54 PM

I'd have to review my exact settings, but one thing I definitely did do was disable internet search. On my system if I hit Winkey-Q I get search, but it only searches locally. I also disable Cortana, of course.

What are you trying to find in your searches?
Just to access installed software & Microsoft console add-ins(*.msc). Cortana is a resource hog at times.

humbert

Basically what I did was disable the Bing search that is part of Windows 10 search. It only looks for stuff locally. For example, if I want character map, I just type "charmap" and it comes up.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on September 20, 2015, 01:48 AM
Basically what I did was disable the Bing search that is part of Windows 10 search. It only looks for stuff locally. For example, if I want character map, I just type "charmap" and it comes up.
So search is working,even when search indexing service is disabled. If its working fine, then don't do clean install because whilst clean install win search won't work if the same service is disabled, this is what I observed. 

humbert

I'm probably the last guy you'd ever expect would post this, but I suppose that's life.  :)  Does anyone know where you obtain a slipstreamed version of Windows 10 Pro and, most importantly, how you install it would having to reformat the system and start from scratch.

I'm having a problem with Windows Update. It's set to update automatically and to notify me when a reboot is necessary. For quite a while now, after rebooting, it keeps saying "update failed" (or something). Looking into Windows Update, it shows a whole bunch of failed updates. I don't know why, it won't tell me. I'm trying to see if I can get updates another way, and slipstreaming came to mind.

Vasudev

I have it, but only 200 MB is uploaded in KAT under the name of TOR_Anonymous. Are you able to remove/move Windows Update cache present under C:\Windows\Software Distribution or else perform a diagnostic using WinPE on Windows 10 Disk.
Try booting from Win 10 installation and perform system restore since KB3081424 update is known to cause problems. Here's the article http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/aug/11/windows-10-broken-update-endless-reboot-loop

humbert

Thanks for the tip. I saved the link you provided and I'll read it later.

Ccleaner with winapp2.ini removes everything in C:\Windows\Software Distribution and the problem persists. Let me see what the article says and what they recommend.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on October 22, 2015, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the tip. I saved the link you provided and I'll read it later.

Ccleaner with winapp2.ini removes everything in C:\Windows\Software Distribution and the problem persists. Let me see what the article says and what they recommend.
Try bleachbit & make sure Win update service is stopped during cleaning.