• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 10 Support

Started by Vasudev, December 13, 2014, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on February 16, 2016, 03:32 AM
I've never had a problem with AMD products. Currently I'm using NVidia, but you'll have no problems with AMD.
I asked about dell alienware 15 r2.

harkaz

Slipstreaming is indeed a thing of the past for the third patries.

There are now slipstreamed ISOs with the latest updates at MSDN.

There are no updated ISOs for the LTSB however :(

shhnedo

LTSB iso's won't be updated as often as mainstream iso's are.

Vasudev

Quote from: shhnedo on March 14, 2016, 06:50 PM
LTSB iso's won't be updated as often as mainstream iso's are.
Don't mind if I ask you, whats LTSB?

harkaz

LTSB is an excellent flavour of Windows 10 Enterprise.
It has most of modern apps removed and is supported up to 10 years after each original release.

It is geared towards mission-critical machines in the Enterprise.

However, it's also ideal for privacy.

I have just created a professionally remastered ISO of Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB with many privacy/security tweaks you'll not find anywhere else. This is the first attempt I make to create something like this.

As always, setup files and PE images are also updated, sysprep -generalize in Hyper-V + WPA is original (1001 rearms) plus dism /resetbase has been executed.
.NET FW 3.5.1 is not preinstalled in the image, default component configuration has been used.

I will upload it for the good people in this forum.  Stay tuned. :)

shhnedo

^ Yup, basically Ent LTSB is the best form of windows 10 with most of the junk and spying missing due to the edition being built for the enterprise, where "performance is life" and spying is not so much an option. So Long Term Service Edition is missing MOST Of the spying junk.

harkaz

Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB Privacy Edition Updated March 2016 by harkaz:

ISO: https://mega.nz/#!IIkiyAAK!Wbj7m28PTNwHhjpSFn81_faPVd3vkzvvVWDSnj5wQnk

This version is very strict with some things.
For example, Microsoft accounts are completely blocked and you won't be able to access many options from the WinRE (Windows Recovery) because it will fail to detect the Administrator accounts. You will still be able to recover your system via Recovery media and perform a refresh/reset.
You can change the respective GPO setting to restrict adding new Microsoft accounts but not logon to allow the Winre to recognize the existing accounts
(https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj966262.aspx).
I recommend keeping the default settings anyway if you are paranoid about privacy.

In addition, the Steps Recorder app has been disabled and running it from the Start Menu will do nothing. You can enable it via GPO only if you need it, because it sends data to Microsoft.

System Restore has been disabled to make recovery more difficult for forensic analysts. Plus many other tweaks.

All this with the latest March 2016 updates professionally slipstreamed (WPA remains original at 1001 rearms).

There are more advanced options to keep your system secure but this is an essential starting point.

humbert

Why would anyone want to install Windows 10 Enterprise? Does it really have any advantages over Pro that a typical pirate like any one of use would need?

In the poll, this business of ditching Windows 10 because of telemetry is no excuse. This can very easily be defeated. I've lost count of the many Windows 10 Privacy apps available for download.

harkaz

Enterprise edition has some security features not available in Pro.

The most important is Virtualization-based security.
That means: "Windows services that manage derived domain credentials and other secrets run in a protected environment that is isolated from the running operating system". This can be enabled via GPO.

In addition, Enterprise offers more control via GPO. The LTSB ships with no Modern apps by default, and this is good if you don't need them. In addition, it won't be upgraded as frequently as other OS editions, which is good for me.

scarface

Well, the version given by harkaz above is not available any more. No matter, I downloaded a windows 10 x64 pro edition on the Microsoft website.
And, to remove all provisioned apps, I used the following command (750 mb saved with this mere cmd in powershell)
Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -Online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
Like this it looks like the Enterprise edition, with a bare start menu.

What's more I used the command: Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
to clean winsxs. But it's not done yet. Maybe next week I will upload it.

Note: the Enterprise version uses a License volume key if I'm not mistaken. Well, few users on the forum are liable to activate their versions with a legit key with such an edition. As for the security features, I dont think the users of the forum are Mossad agents...