• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 10 Support

Started by Vasudev, December 13, 2014, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harkaz

Takedown notice... Well, if anyone is still interested the ISO please contact me via PM.

scarface

Well, I think I will not release a windows 10 version anytime soon:
As I said: I downloaded windows 10 v1511 and updated it. After a reboot it keeps updating. I had almost finished my customization, a few hours of work. Then comes the last update: KB3140768 cumulative update.
After a reboot, I'm stuck with a spinning circle with no possibiliy to log on.
Since I didn't delete any critical file, I checked on the internet and bingo, there is a bug with KB3140768...
It seems I'm not the only one...but in safe mode kb3140768 failed to uninstall, so I can't reboot (in audit mode).
Well, it's one more reason to stick with windows 7.

http://pcquestions.pro/windows-10/17691-Windows-update-woes-Infinite-blue-screen-with-spinning-dots-on-startup
As this user says: "I am terrified to install updates on my machine in case this happens again…. and I’m not even given the chance to choose to install them or not. This is a business machine and it potentially going down for hours has catastrophic repercussions for my business."

http://news.softpedia.com/news/it-might-happen-again-windows-10-cumulative-update-kb3140768-fails-to-install-501522.shtml
http://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-fix-issues-caused-by-windows-10-cumulative-update-kb3140743-501298.shtml

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on March 19, 2016, 05:20 PM
Well, I think I will not release a windows 10 version anytime soon:
As I said: I downloaded windows 10 v1511 and updated it. After a reboot it keeps updating. I had almost finished my customization, a few hours of work. Then comes the last update: KB3140768 cumulative update.
After a reboot, I'm stuck with a spinning circle with no possibiliy to log on.
Since I didn't delete any critical file, I checked on the internet and bingo, there is a bug with KB3140768...
It seems I'm not the only one...but in safe mode kb3140768 failed to uninstall, so I can't reboot (in audit mode).
Well, it's one more reason to stick with windows 7.

http://pcquestions.pro/windows-10/17691-Windows-update-woes-Infinite-blue-screen-with-spinning-dots-on-startup
As this user says: "I am terrified to install updates on my machine in case this happens again…. and I’m not even given the chance to choose to install them or not. This is a business machine and it potentially going down for hours has catastrophic repercussions for my business."

http://news.softpedia.com/news/it-might-happen-again-windows-10-cumulative-update-kb3140768-fails-to-install-501522.shtml
http://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-fix-issues-caused-by-windows-10-cumulative-update-kb3140743-501298.shtml
I didn't face any problems like that. Did you integrate skylake drivers or something, I observed a huge startup delay and responsiveness issues on Broadwell and Skylake chipsets on w10, considerable slowdown w/o any reason, yeah it happens only sometimes, though.

scarface

QuoteI didn't face any problems like that. Did you integrate skylake drivers or something, I observed a huge startup delay and responsiveness issues on Broadwell and Skylake chipsets on w10, considerable slowdown w/o any reason, yeah it happens only sometimes, though.

No, I was just updating windows 10 in a virtual machine to sysprep the image (on my old computer, it's a broadwell i7 5500u). If you are searching on the internet it seems there is a real problem with the latest cumulative updates, preventing the system from booting. 2 years ago I already made a fuss on the champs elysées, because I was told I couldn't buy a computer without windows 8 or without OS. I used windows 7 thereafter anyway. But this time I've been able to switch to a new computer, without os (sold with freedos). I don't regret my choice, I saved some money and I'm avoiding the bugs surrounding windows 10.
For your information, my old computer is a hp (which was not providing any drivers for windows 7, and I had to use the driver of another laptop for the wifi, the ones for windows were not compatible). Well, I'm not a spendthrift, but I stumbled upon an unexpected opportunity, a special offer due to a liquidation. Instead of 1300e, I paid 1000e. The brand is msi, with an intel 6700hq, 8gb of ram and a nvidia 960gtx. There was no OS, but I found out that msi was providing some drivers for win7-8-10 for this computer. Now I just have to sell the other one.

Vasudev

Have you tried Snappy Driver Installer(an alternative to DPS)? I found my drivers through the same SW and pick driver only packages from station-drivers.com, yeah even I'm looking for a gaming laptop from AW, mostly AW 15 series.

scarface

QuoteHave you tried Snappy Driver Installer
I said I was using a virtual machine. No driver was installed.
It's a bug of Microsoft, as confirmed by the links I pasted on the forum.

btw, I was thinking it would be good to clean the windows 7/8/10 topics and the one about rebase. I deleted a few of my very first post one month ago for example (about windows lite in the windows 7 support...). 
we dont see anymore my win 7 lite links and the presentation of the program sold by harkaz. If you can delete your unnecessary messages.

humbert

I upgraded to Windows 10 v1511 manually. I download and ran MS' Media Creation Tool and it did it all. Not surprisingly, the upgrade re-installed all those garbage Metro apps and re-enabled spying. I took care of that by downloading and runnning Destroy Windows Spying, and then changing some other settings the program missed. It's running great so far.

I suppose one positive thing to be said about Windows is that either MS will give you a way to disable the "features" or someone else will figure a way to do it. If garbage apps don't have an uninstall option, you can still use Powershell to nuke them. Incidentally, if you want to disable Cortana completely, do this:

1) Download and install Unlocker 1.92, an excellent tool

2) Goto C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyeny

3) Find "SearchUI.exe" and, using Unlocker, rename it to [for example] disable.SearchUI.exe"

4) Go to Task Manager, look for the Cortana process and kill it. You'll never see it again

Vasudev

Quote from: Fuj on March 22, 2016, 05:26 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on March 20, 2016, 11:48 AM
I observed a huge startup delay and responsiveness issues on Broadwell and Skylake chipsets on w10, considerable slowdown w/o any reason, yeah it happens only sometimes, though.
Hi, Vasudev. Random freezing and stalling is a known Skylake issue. Reportedly it can happen a few times a week up to several times a day. In some cases it seems to be tied to C-states and disabling them helps but in others it doesn't. Intel has acknowledged and is investigating the issue and it will hopefully be fixed through a microcode update. Not all Skylake owners experience this problem but an unusually high number does. It seems you are among those who lost at Intel's silicon lottery. And this is not the only 'infancy problem' Skylake has. It freezes when running some specific tests in Prime95 and possibly in other scenarios. Intel has acknowledged this one too; people are comparing it to original Pentium's FDIV bug. Next, Skylakes are cut from a thinner wafer that can bend under the weight of some aftermarket coolers, destroying the processor. Again, Intel has recognized the issue but this one certainly can't be fixed with a microcode update. Other things worth mentioning is no EHCI support, meaning Win7 can't be installed from usb without slipstreaming special drivers; some mobo manufacturers like Asrock provide a utility to directly patch the iso. Also, H170/Z170 chipset has dropped VGA (D-SUB) connector for onboard video. Not a big deal for majority of users but for some it might be because not everyone buys a discrete gfx card and if they need to connect the PC to an older screen they can't. Finally, you're tied to DDR4; it's technically possible to use DDR3 but Intel claims it can damage the CPU due to higher voltage. DDR4 is quite a bit pricier while providing only marginally better performance; frequencies are higher but so are latencies. It will be awhile before DDR4 becomes truly superior but those new modules won't be properly utilized on the chipset you get now.
On the plus side, Skylakes are more power-efficient and have lower temps due to 14nm and voltage regulator back on mobo instead of FIVR. Overall Skylake+DDR4 performance is 10-15% better than comparable Haswell+DDR3 models but that should be taken with a grain of salt because we're talking benchmarks, not real world.
I'm pretty well informed as I'm in the process of building a new rig (components should arrive in a few days) so I did thorough research. I'm not an early adopter, I prefer time-tested and polished products with good price value. Definitely not a sucker for bleeding edge. Skylake is just half a year old so I was inclined to Haswell from the start (no Broadwell for desktops) and when I found out about the issues, the decision was made. I also saved some money (~80 euros, mostly because I got a great deal on DDR3). If it gave me substantially more processing power, I'd take the chance and go with Skylake, but that's not the case. We're way past the days of Moore's law; certain physical limits have been reached and you can only expect performance bumps to get smaller with each gen until we get commercial quantum computers, which is at least 15 years away. In the meantime there will be less and less reasons to upgrade. I already fear the marketing bullcrap they'll think of to convince/force us to buy new hardware. In conclusion, Skylake is a step forward but not a big step. People who want to upgrade should probably wait until it becomes more reliable and if they can't afford to wait they might be better off with Haswell for now. My opinion.
I just felt when doing normal tasks took longer than usual. Yeah IB, Haswell and DC don't have this trouble. Yeah good choice @Fuj. I'm upgrading to Kaby Lake CPU and newer GPU before the end of this year. I hope AMD Zen would pull up their business and deliver their promise. I think KabyLake will be refined edition on 14nm wafer.

Vasudev

Quote from: Fuj on March 22, 2016, 05:44 PM
I also hope Zen does well. I'm no Intel fanboy and I actually like AMD better as a company but the cold truth is that Intel is currently wiping the floor with them, especially in the high end segment. If you want performance and are willing to pay for it, you will go with i5/i7. Things like these Skylake issues would be less likely to happen if Intel had fierce competition and it would also bring the prices down.
Yeah I agree. This time AMD has to fight both Blue Team and Green Team with CPu and GPU which are arriving in Q2 2016.

humbert

It's not the first time that Intel has come out with a problem their CPU's and it won't be the last. I remember that when the Pentium was released in the mid 1990's, the floating point unit was working. There were times the Windows calculator actually gave you the wrong answer to a simple division problem. There was a massive recall and all affected CPU's were replaced in full warranty regardless of how long ago you bought it.

Always keep in mind fixing these errors is costly for these companies.