• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

New topic Photos

Started by scarface, February 01, 2015, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: Shadow.97 on July 27, 2021, 03:53 AM
I'm a bit curious about the stores, their layout and so on. Perhaps an odd request but.. :)
I followed your recommendations and I took some photos today. They will be available tonight, on the forum.

scarface

I was expecting humbert or Vasudev to ask for museum pictures. Apparently they don't need more photos of museums since many photos taken in the museum of Orsay, the Louvre, the Invalides are already available on the forum. Besides, I don’t even know if they are open for tourists.
And I was relieved when Shadow.97 asked for photos with “stores and layout”, even if I can’t go to commercial centers due to the terrible virus: A health pass is needed to go to commercial centers (or to cinemas). I didn’t get vaccinated yet but I have an appointment.
But I can still go to food stores...

Of course, not everyone wants to get vaccinated. Here you can see a demonstration between Bastille and Porte de Champerret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EwiWCny-eQ
The rioters are shouting “liberté”. They don’t want the health pass imposed by the politicians.

In the United States, it seems they already know what a “multipass” is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVPLqbWXdDA

Here you can see the photos that I took today.
I’m coming close to the supermarket of Grau du Roi. On the right, you can see a woman with some dogs. The car park is full.

Here you can see the supermarket “Super U”.

Here is the aisle with the vegetables. In the United States, I’m not sure that you can find so many vegetables at the local markets. But I’m almost certain that you can find a big aisle for the sodas and for the supertransformed products like crisps. Shadow.97 and humbert can study the layout.

Here you can see cooked pork meats. In the Paris region it’s difficult to find such a well-stocked aisle. In most cases, you will not find Figatelli. Since this Corsican “charcuterie” looks excellent, I bought a Figatellu

Here you can see the fish counter. I could find some mussels.

In front of the shop.

Behind the supermarket, you can see the port of Grau du roi.

Here you can see some photos taken in Grau du Roi.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on July 28, 2021, 01:01 AM
Of course, not everyone wants to get vaccinated. Here you can see a demonstration between Bastille and Porte de Champerret

It is precisely because of these idiots that this pandemic hasn't gone away by now. This is especially true when you consider that the highly contagious Delta Variant has become the norm. Vaccines approved for use in the USA (Phizer-Biontech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson) have proven effective against the Delta Variant.

People who can easily get a vaccine but refuse to get one should be allowed to die in ignorance.

scarface

Today, new photos are available on the forum.

They were taken in Arles, a city in the south of France. A large part of the Camargue, the largest wetlands in France, is located on the territory of this commune, making it the largest commune in Metropolitan France in terms of geographic territory.

In the center of Arles:

The Arles Amphitheatre is a Roman amphitheatre. Two-tiered, it is probably the most prominent tourist attraction from the city which thrived in Ancient Rome. The towers jutting out from the top are medieval add-ons.
Built in 90 AD, the amphitheatre held over 20,000 spectators of chariot races and bloody hand-to-hand battles. Nowadays, it draws smaller crowds for bullfighting during the Feria d'Arles as well as plays and concerts in summer.

scarface

You have seen that in Arles it was very calm. But the mood is as not festive in Paris.
In Paris, a demonstration against the health pass started at 2 p.m. from the Villiers metro in the direction of Place de la Bastille. Shortly before 3 p.m. there was tension with the police during the procession near the Moulin-Rouge. Apparently riots broke out near place de la Bastille.
Some news about the events here: https://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/anti-passe-sanitaire-manifestations-covid-obligation-vaccin-samedi-31-juillet-20210731

scarface

Tonight, There is a heavy rain and I can see lightnings.
Look at the photo below. Normally you can see the sea in the background. It must remind Vasudev of the summer monsoon in India. Note that the French word for monsoon is "mousson", but it's not frequent in France even if severe floods can happen when torrential rain continues.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to talk about the current weather.
In many places around the world, the weather is hotter than usual. You have probably heard of the wildfires in California, in Greece or in Turkey.
The weather is pretty hot in the US currently, like in Texas and humbert can confirm this.

But it's not hot everywhere. In France the weather is actually pretty cold. Why, after several hot and even scorching summers, is the weather so bad?
And in Germany there have been floods. What is the reason behind this? Is it a hoax of the Chinese?

According to a French meteorologist, “The answer is provided by the weather maps,”

Since this spring, several lows slide from the North Atlantic and are blocked in France by a belt of anticyclones in Russia, Scandinavia and the Maghreb. These last six summers western Europe was on the side of the anticyclones with a hot summer and heat peaks while the depressions went to central Europe, Russia or the Maghreb. It's a bit like communicating vessels.
This negative anomaly is called a cold drop. "It's a word used in a colorful way to characterize this depression that accompanies fresh air. It's like a drop of cool water descending on western Europe in an ocean of heat, ”explains the meteorologist. Conversely, positive anomalies are noted by rising temperatures. For the meteorologist, this cold drop is at the origin of the many floods in Western Europe.

An effect of global warming?
Can these upheavals be attributed to global warming? “We do not have enough hindsight to respond formally. To have a climatic average, it takes 30 years. We should not focus on what is happening only in France when global warming is global. It is probably the cause of extreme climatic conditions on a global scale, such as floods in Europe and excess heat in North America” explains the meteorologist.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on August 03, 2021, 11:36 PM
Tonight, I'm going to talk about the current weather.
In many places around the world, the weather is hotter than usual. You have probably heard of the wildfires in California, in Greece or in Turkey.
The weather is pretty hot in the US currently, like in Texas and humbert can confirm this.

Actually this summer has been cooler than normal so far. By now daytime temps should max out at anywhere from 36° to 40°. We're averaging anywhere from 31° to 34°. If the day is cloudy it doesn't even reach 30°.

The problem here is that people get climate and weather mixed up. Weather changes and anomalies happen all the time anywhere, and it's almost always in one place or one general area. Climate change happens slowly and over a wide area, if not the whole planet.

scarface

Tonight, new photos taken in Grau du Roi are available on the forum.

Here you can see the pavement which runs along the coast of Grau du roi.

This big anchor is used as street furniture.

Here are sand sculptures.

Some anglers, on a pier

The former lighthouse of Grau du roi

Here you can see a swing bridge in Grau du roi.

Some fishing boats in the port of Grau du Roi.

scarface

Today I'm going to talk about Lebanon.
Maybe you remember my father. On the photo below, we can see him on the right. This photo was taken in Cairo, during a trip, in 1982.
30 years ago, he wanted to go to Lebanon to work. In the end he decided to stay in France. It was one the world's most prosperous country at this time.

But today, Beirut went dark due to dire fuel and electricity shortages.
Starting Wednesday night Lebanon's Central Bank announced that fuel subsidies had been halted, already at a moment where there's been scarcity of both gas and electricity. Fuel prices are expected to at least quadruple, leading to a national scramble for fuel, exacerbating rolling blackouts akin to what's become the tragic norm of recent years in neighboring Syria. And yet, the other neighboring countries, like Israel and Palestine, are among the most prosperous economies in the world.

The cutting of subsidies was expected, but still a "shock" nonetheless. Like everything else in Lebanon energy has been severely mismanaged, after already the government suspended lines of credit to fuel importers.

A shortage of gasoline, in Lebanon.

Even food and medicines are now running scarce, as The New York Times detailed this week in this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/04/world/lebanon-crisis.html?referringSource=articleShare
"The supply of medicines has also become unreliable. At a pharmacy, a line stretched, where anxious shoppers sought medicines that are now scarce, such as pain killers & blood pressure meds."