• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

New topic Photos

Started by scarface, February 01, 2015, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

I'm still here :)

What I'm wondering is, if you live in Paris why have a car at all? Seems to me it's more of a disturbance than anything else.

scarface

to humbert...you're right but what should I do? Sell it? Sometimes it can be useful.
A week ago I went to my car because I wanted to do some shopping in the North East of Paris and I found it with the bumper on the ground. An old man was wandering around my car and some people were saying they had jotted down his license plate...his daughter had taken the road the wrong way and she had teared my bumper while manoeuvring the car. Finally the man gave me some money and I put the bumper back myself.

During this afternoon, once again, I stumbled upon some Syrians near the porte of Clichy, at the exit of the ring road. A girl and some young men were wandering between the cars to beg for money, with the usual cardboard sign showing "famille syrienne".
This time I gave some money to the girl. It's not everyday that someone greets me with a salamalikoum, besides Maher, and tells me "merci" with a weird accent. It was raining and some Syrian women were sheltering from the bad weather under the ring road.
It's hard to tell, but they don't seem to be unhappy. I guess it's not the best way to earn one's living though.
Formerly, most people were working in the countryside but our mechanized societies have destroyed these jobs. Unfortunately, there are no jobs for everyone in the towns. Nowadays, It's a bit sad to see so many people cramming themselves in dire conditions in the big towns.

scarface

Here are a few photos taken today, in the 1st arrondissement of Paris. It was very hot today, and unfortunately there is no fresh air in the towns which are not situated on the seaside. That's why it can be useful to take a seat near a fountain, or in the shade of trees. Topdog, shadow97 or iih are luckier, they must not be suffering from the hot weather.

In the street

At Place Colette, ones of the entrances of the gardens of the Palais-Royal (royal palace).

In the the Palais-Royal gardens

The screened entrance court faces the Place du Palais-Royal, opposite the Louvre. The larger inner courtyard, the Cour d'Honneur, has since 1986 contained Daniel Buren's site-specific art piece Les Deux Plateaux, known as "Les Colonnes de Buren" (The columns of Buren).
The 260 striped Colonnes de Buren are made of white Carrara marble from Italy and black marble from the French Pyrénées.
These columns are truncated and of different heights, but they all have 8.7 cm wide stripes.

The columns of the former Galerie d'Orléans

The musuem of the Louvre

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to hold an exceptional conference to present some works of art of Pablo Picasso.

Maybe some of you already heard of this famous painter. The collection in the Picasso museum includes more than 5,000 works and tens of thousands of archive pieces. Established in 1985 in the Hôtel salé, in the 3rd arrondissement of Paris, the museum recently benefitted from an important renovation. I took some photos of the most beautiful paintings in the museum, but Picasso's best known works, such as Guernica or les demoiselles d'Avignon, are not there, they are either in Spain, or in New York at the Museum of Modern Art. I hope that the users of the forum, like shadow.97, usmangujjar, akaubee or Maher will be delighted.

On the way to the museum

At the Boulevard Magenta

At the Boulevard Beaumarchais, with The July Column on the background. It is a monumental column in Paris commemorating the Revolution of 1830. It stands in the center of the Place de la Bastille and celebrates the 'Trois Glorieuses', the "three glorious days of 27, 28 and 29 July 1830 that saw the fall of King Charles X of France and the commencement of the "July Monarchy" of Louis-Philippe, King of the French.

The Picasso museum. Some watchmen were standing guard and they were suspicious since I was taking a photo. I had to keep my mouth shut.
At the entry of the museum, there was another trap. While my Hsbc mastercard allowed me to pay off the fees, the cashier asked me to establish my credentials by asking me my postal code. I hesitated for 2 seconds. Did I have to tell him 75017? (I'm just joking) Finally I said the truth. And the cashier gave me the entrance ticket.

Inside the museum

Here are the photos I could shoot.

Celestina, by Picasso

Self Portrait of Picasso

Jeanne by Picasso

Violin and bottle on a table, by Picasso

Women at the fountain, by Picasso

Face with 2 profiles, by Picasso

Portrait of Marie Therese, 1937, by Picasso

Musician, by Picasso

Landscape of Juan les Pins, by Picasso

The bay of Cannes, by Picasso

The sea at l'Estaque, 1876, by Paul Cezanne

Portrait of a Spanish Dancer, by Juan Miró

Bullfight: Death of the toreador, by Picasso.

Large still life with a pedestal

The goat, 1950, by Picasso

On the way back home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmi60Bd4jSs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gur6nMbfc4o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLJB4pM9Jj0

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on September 10, 2016, 09:38 PM

In school, we have a class known as Art/Picture.
We were forced to draw this image. Noone enjoyed it what I'm aware of.
I never understood why pictures of landscapes, and portraits became so popular. For me, its like a selfie becoming popular and shown across the world for future art classes. Like "Take a picture like this, and become famous!"(not really)
I have a hard time enjoying "popular" art from "back in the days".
Not everyone likes the same things, perhaps when I'm older I will appreciate classical art more.

Do you like classical art, and would you like to know more about it..?
We spent around 2/5ths of our time in pic/art class looking and comparing classical drawings, another 2/5ths, copying, and trying to reproduce the drawings. and 1/5th, doing what we wanted, just draw freehand.

Talking about photos.

scarface

Today, I'm going to hold an exceptional conference to present an exposition about Rembrandt.

This exposition was taking place in Paris, Boulevard Haussmann, at the Jacquemart-André museum, near the arch of Triumph.
Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn was a Dutch painter and etcher. He is generally considered one of the greatest painters and print makers in European art and the most important in Dutch history. His contributions to art came in a period of great wealth and cultural achievement that historians call the Dutch Golden Age.

The Jacquemart-André museum

On the first floor

The Venetian room

Pieta by Francesco Botticini

Virgin and Child with Saints Jerome and Louis of Toulouse by Andrea Mantegna

Virgin and child by Antonello da Saliba

And here is the exposition you have been waiting for: the Rembrandt exposition, on the second floor. Taking photos in this place was forbidden, but let's say I did not do it, it was a friend of mine.

Rembrandt, self-portrait

Balaam and the donkey, Rembrandt

Parable of the rich man, Rembrandt

Presentation in the temple, Rembrandt

Saskia as Flora, Rembrandt

Man in Oriental Costume, Rembrandt

On the way back home, in the car park, a beautiful car.

We can make out the Basilica of Sacré Coeur behind the trees.

humbert

Overweight is a problem in Egypt? There are no fat people in that picture, and that despite the fact that there's a McDonalds in the background. :)  The problem is far worse here.

And yes, the Champs Élysées is beautiful. I found a store there selling a pair of shoes for 500 €. I was trying to see where the gold shoelaces were.

scarface

This morning, I was walking in the 18th arrondissement of Paris, under a light rain, and I took a few photos; with an old smartphone.
Here you can see Hermel Street and make out the Sacré Coeur in the haze.

Here, on Marcadet street.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on November 07, 2016, 03:51 AM
Overweight is a problem in Egypt? There are no fat people in that picture, and that despite the fact that there's a McDonalds in the background.  :)  The problem is far worse here.

And yes, the Champ Elyseés is beautiful. I found a store there selling a pair of shoes for 500â,¬. I was trying to see where the gold shoelaces were.
You and I have completely different views of fat  ::) I see several.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on November 14, 2016, 12:37 AM
You and I have completely different views of fat  ::) I see several.

It's true that everyone's definition of "fat" is different. To give you a rough idea, a fat woman is 1.50m tall and weighs 75kg or higher, a fat man would be 1.75m and 90kg. Weights and heights increase or decrease proportionally.

This is by no means exact.