• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

New topic Photos

Started by scarface, February 01, 2015, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

A few days ago, Hundreds of thousands of climate change protestors gathered at some 850 events across 90 countries - and seven continents - in what is one of the biggest ever days of global action highlighting the issue.
They are marching in cities from Kathmandu to Copenhagen, Lagos to Lisbon, Bogota to Berlin. They are asking politicians to do something to curb climate change.

Here are a few photos.

Here in Sydney, Australia

Members of The Forgotten Solution NGO, disguised as trees, demonstrate in front of the San Francisco City Hall on September 8th.

In Brussels, a rally organized in front of the European Parliament Saturday gathered about a thousand people according to the organizers

Events took place even in Marseille, where 2,500 people marched according to the organizers, and 700 according to the police.

In Paris, 20 thousand people met and responded to a call for mobilization launched on social networks. Maybe some of you recognized the building in the background (it's Notre dame Cathedral).

In Nairobi

In Bangkok, nearly 200 protesters gathered in front of the UN regional headquarters, where a preparatory meeting for the upcoming COP24 climate summit, scheduled for Poland in three months, was organized until Sunday.

Thousands of protesters gathered in the streets of San Francisco, including indigenous advocates.

This day of action, here in Kathmandu, Nepal, is supposed to culminate with a big demonstration in San Francisco, where will be held from September 12 the World Summit of cities and companies for the climate, organized by the governor of California in answer to Trump's anti-ecological policy.

scarface

Here are a fem photos for the users of the forum. I know that aa1234779 is waiting for them.

From the observatory park of Meudon

Paris on 14 July 2018

La défense from Saint Cloud

A view from Issy les Moulineaux

Lyon by night

San Francisco early in the morning

If you can, avoid those big towns, which ar heavily dependent on oil. Smaller towns usually require less energy and less complex logistics.

The following are some pictures taken in Qalqilya Zoo (not taken by me). This zoo is a bit unique since the zoo is more or less without living animals. The majority of animals had died from fright and lack of proper care as a result of continuous incursions into the town by the Israeli Defence Force. The zookeeper was forced to become taxidermist but with little experience this often resulted in tragi-comic results.

In the East of Palestine, people are using camels instead of cars.

Shadow.97

scar, have you taken these pictures with a camera, phone or something else?
The light in the pictures is usually quite good.

I thought of uploading some pictures.
Where do you host them?

scarface

Quote from: Shadow.97 on September 14, 2018, 02:01 PM
scar, have you taken these pictures with a camera, phone or something else?
The light in the pictures is usually quite good.

I thought of uploading some pictures.
Where do you host them?

Actually none of these photos were taken by me. It was the guy who was working next to me who took them, with a camera. My phone has a 16M pixels camera, and yet the results would have been sensibly more blurred. That's why I practically never took photos of landscapes. You can see that in this topic.
One day he brought his camera and he had a lens like this...https://preview.ibb.co/gbBHKp/LD0004628401_2.jpg

humbert

Quote from: scarface on September 14, 2018, 01:44 PM
The following are some pictures taken in Qalqilya Zoo (not taken by me). This zoo is a bit unique since the zoo is more or less without living animals. The majority of animals had died from fright and lack of proper care as a result of continuous incursions into the town by the Israeli Defence Force.

Lack of proper care makes sense. According to Maher, the statement about continuous incursions into Qalqilya by the IDF is inaccurate. He tells me that rarely do people who live in Qalqilya ever see Israeli soldiers. If they come it's very brief (e.g., to take away a suspected terrorist) and they're gone almost immediately. All police work is done by the Palestinian police. This is essentially the agreement signed some 20 years ago by Yassir Arafat and Yitzak Rabin.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on September 16, 2018, 07:03 AM
Lack of proper care makes sense. According to Maher, the statement about continuous incursions into Qalqilya by the IDF is inaccurate. He tells me that rarely do people who live in Qalqilya ever see Israeli soldiers. If they come it's very brief (e.g., to take away a suspected terrorist) and they're gone almost immediately. All police work is done by the Palestinian police. This is essentially the agreement signed some 20 years ago by Yassir Arafat and Yitzak Rabin.
You are certainly right. In the first picture, we can see a kind of Lion. Had he been alive, the Israeli forces would have been scared. In the second picture, it seems it's a monkey, but it does not look like mr baboon. The Arabic description must be giving clues.

Today, I'm going to hold an exceptional conference titled: Ecological transition: how to do it?

How to lead a more sustainable life? This question generates a lot of debate about what people can do to fight climate change. In many cases, the answers are directed at individuals, asking them to adopt more responsible behavior, such as buying locally, insulating their homes or taking their bike instead of the car ... "But these individual responses raise the question of their effectiveness in changing behavior that needs to be systemic, "says Kris de Decker on Low-Tech Magazine.
There are three types of public policies to combat climate change: decarbonisation policies (encouragement of renewable energy sources, electric cars, etc.), energy efficiency (improvement of the energy ratio of appliances, vehicles, buildings ...) and behavioral change (promoting more sustainable behaviors). The first two aim to make existing consumption patterns less resource-intensive, but all too often relying only on technical innovation, they forget social support, which explains why they have not led to a significant decrease in CO2 emissions or energy demand. Progress in energy efficiency does not take into account new consumption patterns and the rebound effect.

Similarly, the development of renewable energies has not led to decarbonisation of energy infrastructure because energy demand is increasing faster than the development of renewable energy sources. For Kris de Decker, this highlights the need to focus more on social change. If we want efficient energy efficiency and decarbonisation policies to be effective, they must be combined with social innovation: hence the importance of behavior change policies!
If the instruments of behavior change are numerous, they are mostly carrots or sticks, when it is not a sermon. But these instruments (economic incentives, norms and regulations, information ...) are based on a vision of individuals as rational beings: people would engage in a pro-environmental behavior for self-interested reasons (because it's nice or they can save money) or for normative reasons (because others do). But many actions generate a conflict between these two visions: the pro-environmental behavior is often considered less profitable, less pleasant or longer, hence sometimes a mismatch between what people think and what people actually do . To respond to this, we can reduce the cost of pro-environmental actions or increase the cost of actions which are harmful to the planet. Or, strengthen normative behavior.

Still, the results of these behavior change policies have so far been rather limited and disappointing.

The problem, writes Kris de Decker, is that these behavior change policies are based on the recognition that what people do is essentially a question of individual choice. But, the fact that most people eat meat, drive cars or are connected to the electricity grid is not just a question of choice: people are actually locked into unsustainable lifestyles. What they do is conditioned, facilitated and constrained by social norms, public policies, infrastructures, technologies, market, culture ... As an individual, we can for example buy a bike, but we can not not develop bike infrastructures. If the Danes or Dutch use the bike more than others, it's not so much because they are more environmentally conscious than others, it's because they have excellent bike infrastructures, because it is socially acceptable to ride a bike and because motorists are very respectful of bicycles, especially since the motorist is always considered responsible in the event of an accident, even if it is the cyclist who made a mistake. Without this support infrastructure, we can see that it is more difficult to get a large number of people to ride a bike. Similarly, individuals do not have the possibility to modify the speeds of the Internet or reduce the energy supply of the power plant on which they depend. "If individuals can make individual pro-environmental choices based on their values and attitudes, and inspire others ... they have no opportunity to act on structures that facilitate or limit their options."

The Guardian environmental journalist George Monbiot recalls in one of his forums that we will not save the Earth by adopting better consumption patterns, such as replacing our disposable plastic cups with disposable cups. "Of course, we should try to minimize our own impacts, but we can not deal with climate change and the resource crisis simply by taking responsibility for what we consume." Disposable coffee cups made of corn starch perpetuate the problem rather than solve it. For him too, "Defending the planet means changing the world".

scarface

In Hong Kong, after Typhoon Mangkhut hit, on 16 September 2018.

scarface

Today, I took some photos.

Maybe some of you know this town. Is it qalqilya? is it Cairo? Is it New Delhi? if you know the answer you can leave your comments.

scarface

Here are a few other photos for the users of the forum.

Some of you probably guessed it with the previous photos. The town where the photos were taken is Lyon. It was quite easy to find it with the Part-Dieu and Oxygene towers photos.
It's 3 times bigger than Saint Etienne and roughly 4 times smaller than Paris.

It was quite hot for a late September.

The commercial center of La-Part-Dieu, which is beside the Part-Dieu tower. In my opinion the latter is a bit useless since it consists essentially of office spaces.
This place seems a bit overcrowded.

Some toys. The castle of Mickey is a bit expensive. Maybe usman or shadow.97 used to play with some legos.

Visibly a former trader of Goldman sacks selling some works of art.
Note that he has a strong beer on the right of the picture, It's probably the future of work that we can see here, with more flexibility given to the employee and an increased resort to telework where the employee can work from home. Should aa1234779 want to work with a beer beside him in his country, I guess he would have to ask the permission to his prince.
I know that Aa1234779 is always carefully looking at the photos I upload on the forum and he may have noticed that I didn't take many photos of Saint Etienne. Well, to be honest Saint Etienne is a "run-down" city and it's not as beautiful as Lyon. Despite the low price of the real estate here, I don't plan to buy anything here because I'm not sure I'll stay here for a very long time. Since it lost one third of its population due to the coal mines closure, you have the impression that something is amiss. Unlike Paris, you can see many signs that read "for rent" or "for sale"...But it's also pleasant to leave in a place which is less noisy and where there are not as many traffic jams as in Paris. As Sartre said, "l'enfer c'est les autres".

I don't plan to buy in Lyon either since the real estate is quite expensive over there. And Lyon is particularly hit by climate change.
As temperatures are rising around the globe, a report from the European Data Journalism Network analyzed the temperature evolution over 117 years. No doubt, a global warming is happening, and Lyon is a city of France that is particularly affected. Thus, if in the twentieth century, the average annual temperature was 10.4 degrees, since the 2000s, it is now 11.5 degrees, an increase of 1.1 degrees. The trend started in the late 80s and does not take into account the heat islands that accentuate the situation a little more. Therefore, with these values, Lyon ranks 232nd out of 558 among the cities where the warming is the strongest. In France, it ranks first in cities with more than 500,000 inhabitants, ahead of Paris and Marseille where the rise is 1 degree. For smaller cities, Avignon is ahead with + 1.2 degree. Brest is the least affected city with only + 0.3 degree.
Days of heat wave more numerous

The study also teaches us that hot days with average temperatures above 24 degrees continue to progress. In Lyon, they were 3.6 during the twentieth century. Since the 2000s, the study notes 11.5. Similarly, the days when the average temperature is less than -1 degree are rarer, with 17.5 days in the twentieth century, and 12.7 days per year since 2000. Finally, at the European level, the most affected city remains Kiruna in Sweden with a rise of +3.4 degrees between the twentieth century and the 2000s.

scarface

Note that the site http://www.hostingpics.net/ is currently closing. It's not possible to upload photos any more on this site, and some photos are being deleted. Over the last few years I used to upload photos using it, therefore some photos of this topic were deleted. I'll try to put them back.