• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

New topic Photos

Started by scarface, February 01, 2015, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: humbert on March 31, 2021, 04:45 AM
Quote from: scarface on March 27, 2021, 02:20 AM
In France only 10% of the population have been vaccinated due to the lack of doses of vaccine.

As far as you know is this due to lack of supply? If so, would you say it's the government who's now giving this issue the importance it deserves?
I don't know if there is a lack of supply. In countries like South Korea or Palestine they have been able to get rid of the pandemic and the key to these countries' success in halting virus transmission better than any other country came from blending technology and testing like no other country and communication. Faced with the increase in coronavirus cases in some departments in France, several areas are now submitted to lockdown and yet covid cases are still rising.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on March 25, 2021, 04:01 AM
Regarding Napoleon I was under the impression he died in St Helena island and was buried there. Apparently his body was sent back to France.
Since you know a lot of things about French history, I recommend this video about the castle of St Cloud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fnkn6Gb5Qs

scarface

Tonight, new photos taken on the Champs Elysées are available.

On the avenue George V

humbert

Quote from: scarface on March 31, 2021, 09:55 AM
Since you know a lot of things about French history, I recommend this video about the castle of St Cloud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fnkn6Gb5Qs

No, I don't know that much about French history. The only characters I know something about are Joan d'Arc, Kings Louis XIV and XVI, Maximilian Robespierre, Napoleon Bonaparte and Charles de Gaulle. Even then it's not all that much. Did I forget anyone? I'm thinking Louis Pasteur, but then again he was a scientist.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on April 01, 2021, 05:15 AM
Quote from: scarface on March 31, 2021, 09:55 AM

No, I don't know that much about French history. The only characters I know something about are Joan d'Arc, Kings Louis XIV and XVI, Maximilian Robespierre, Napoleon Bonaparte and Charles de Gaulle. Even then it's not all that much. Did I forget anyone? I'm thinking Louis Pasteur, but then again he was a scientist.
Well, you are a highly educated man. You should have been a history teacher. Maybe you forgot Coluche (a French stage comedian and cinema actor). You must know him if you watched the movie l'aile ou la cuisse (available here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=1023.msg29243#msg29243)

humbert

Quote from: scarface on April 04, 2021, 10:31 PM
Well, you are a highly educated man. You should have been a history teacher.

I disagree. In fact I'm very ignorant. The list of people I mentioned are men who are known pretty much everywhere. For example, you don't need to be a Frenchman to be familiar with the events of the French Revolution, or the fact that Napoleon took over almost all of Europe. And of course almost everywhere you go milk is pasteurized.

I do firmly believe the study of history is very important. The past is extremely linked to the present. In order to get a good understanding of a group of people, it's important to understand how they got to where they are right now.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on April 07, 2021, 05:52 AM
I disagree. In fact I'm very ignorant. The list of people I mentioned are men who are known pretty much everywhere. For example, you don't need to be a Frenchman to be familiar with the events of the French Revolution, or the fact that Napoleon took over almost all of Europe. And of course almost everywhere you go milk is pasteurized.

I do firmly believe the study of history is very important. The past is extremely linked to the present. In order to get a good understanding of a group of people, it's important to understand how they got to where they are right now.
I remember that you even asked me what happened to the prison at place of Bastille. I'm not sure many Americans are aware there was a prison at place of Bastille. If you go in the street and if you show a photo of Louis XIV, whether it is in France or in Texas, few will be able to recognize him. But if you show a photo of Ronald Mc Donald, everyone will know who he is.

scarface

Today, I took a few photos.
I decided to head south.
What you see is the Mediterranean Sea, on a beach, near Montpellier.

Some boats.

Algae deposits attract many flamingos to shores.

scarface

Here are 2 new photos taken today of Aigues-Mortes, a very old fortified city in the Gard, in the heart of the swamps.
The medieval city walls surrounding the city are well preserved.
This was the city from which Louis IX twice departed for the Seventh Crusade in 1248 and for the Eighth Crusade in 1270, where he died of dysentery at Tunis.
Here you can only hear the wind and the singulls singing. This place is very quiet when you are looking for a place to hide away from the sounds of cars.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on April 07, 2021, 02:50 PM
I remember that you even asked me what happened to the prison at place of Bastille. I'm not sure many Americans are aware there was a prison at place of Bastille. If you go in the street and if you show a photo of Louis XIV, whether it is in France or in Texas, few will be able to recognize him. But if you show a photo of Ronald Mc Donald, everyone will know who he is.

Come to think of it, is the Bastille prison a museum today? I'm thinking the birthplace of the French Revolution must be in some way preserved.

I can understand that in Texas they wouldn't recognize an image of Louis XIV. But in France? Surely everybody has to know who Monsieur l'etat c'est  moi was.

The vast majority of Americans are very ignorant and, what's even worse, they have no interest in learning. I heard a statistic that 20% of high school seniors don't know who won the American Civil War, and don't care. This is no accident. The oligarchy that rules this country wants it that way and have created a decrepit educational system to make sure that doesn't change. Who needs an oppressive secret police when the vast majority of the people believe anything the government tells them and blindly do as they're told?