Author Topic: New topic Photos  (Read 190796 times)

April 13, 2021, 08:54 AM
Reply #320
  • Global Moderator
Hey Scarface! Of course you know more about French history than I do, so I have a question. Why is Charles DeGaulle such an important figure? As far as I know, he was involved in World War I but not to the extent where he stands out. During the occupation during World War II, instead of staying home leading the French underground he was living comfortably in England waiting for the British and Americans to liberate his country and install him as president. It's my understanding that shortly thereafter he blackmailed the Americans to restore France's colonies in Indochina or he would go with the Russians. When Algeria tried to become independent, first he tried to crush the rebellion, then he changed his mind and ended up betraying French Algerians who didn't want independence. And finally, on our about 1967 he traveled to Canada and urged to Quebeçois to essentially rebel against Canada, thereby embarrassing his hosts.

So tell me, what am I missing and/or which of my facts is wrong?
On the 5th June, 1940, the French prime minister, Paul Reynaud, sacked Edouard Daladier and appointed de Gaulle as his minister of war. De Gaulle also visited London but when he returned to France on 16th June he discovered the Henri-Philippe Petain had ousted Paul Reynaud as premier and was forming a government that would seek an armistice with Germany. In danger of being arrested by the new French government, de Gaulle returned to England. The following day he made a radio broadcast calling for French people to continue fighting against the German Army.
De Gaulle became famous thanks to this speech known as the Appeal of 18 June which symbolises France’s resistance to the occupying German army. During this call, he was denouncing the French government's truce with Germany and encouraging French people to continue to resist Nazi occupation. The address sealed de Gaulle’s position as leader of the Free French Forces, who continued to resist Germany and its allies after France's surrender.
Whereas as President Roosevelt in the USA recognized the regime of Vichy, Winston Churchill refused and backed de Gaulle as leader of the "Free French". Henri-Philippe Petain responded by denouncing de Gaulle. On 4th July, 1940, a court-martial in Toulouse sentenced him in absentia to four years in prison. At a second court-martial on 2nd August, 1940, sentenced him to death.
De Gaulle made attempts to unify the resistance movements in France. In March 1943 Jean Moulin, Charles Delestraint and Andre Dewavrin managed to unite eight major resistance movements under de Gaulle's leadership. However, this good work was undermined when in June, 1943, both Delestraint and Moulin were arrested by the Gestapo.

In the US, it seems that the leader of the resistance has a different style than De Gaulle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhL8WlDHKaY

A map to understand all this:

April 17, 2021, 05:41 AM
Reply #321
  • Global Moderator
I was watching the video. From what I'm seeing it's a French form of bullfighting that [hopefully] doesn't involve mercilessly slaughtering the bull. I saw a bullfight once while visiting Bogotá, Colombia. It's sickening! The bull has no chance of winning and is slowly tortured to death. I almost couldn't bare to watch it. I ended up cheering the bull.
The course Camarguaise is just a race, once the race is over, the bull joins the herd back in the meadow. But there is another kind of contest known as corrida or bull-fighting, practiced in Spain, Southern France or Mexico. Humbert, Vasudev and Maher have certainly never seen this since they are not practiced in the USA, in India or in Palestine.
In this video, you can see a corrida taking place in the arènes de nîmes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXXMhdir4w

April 19, 2021, 06:15 PM
Reply #322
  • Global Moderator
Tonight, new photos are available on the forum.

These photos were taken today in Port Camargue.
Port-Camargue is a district of the town of Le Grau-du-Roi, in the Gard department in administrative region of Occitanie. Built in the 1960s, it is today one of the biggest marinas in Europe.

White dunes as far as the eye can see, a wild and unspoiled nature, the Mediterranean for only horizon, here is the beach of Espiguette. Jewel of the Camargue Gardoise, this spectacular immensity of sand, where dunes and coastline have been particularly preserved, is one of the largest beaches in the north of the Mediterranean Basin. Located south of Port-Camargue and Grau du Roi, half an hour from Montpellier, it unfolds like a desert, its 10 km of dunes and beach over no less than 700 m wide and is renowned for the quality of its bathing waters.

April 21, 2021, 11:49 AM
Reply #323
  • Global Moderator
Tonight, 2 new photos are available on the forum.

This one is a fishing vessel in le Grau du roi. Look at the seagulls in the sky. Those seabirds are following fishing boats, hoping for a feast from discards thrown back into the sea.

Here you can see some ponys.

May 01, 2021, 09:36 AM
Reply #324
  • Global Moderator
Today, new photos are available on the forum.
These photos were taken in Aigues-Mortes 2 days ago.

Aigues-Mortes means 'Dead Waters'. The medieval city walls surrounding the city are well preserved. Gaius Marius, a Roman general and statesman, is said to have founded the city around 102 BCE, but there is no documentary evidence to verify this. In 791, Charlemagne erected the Matafère tower amid the swamps for the safety of fishermen and salt workers. Louis IX built the Constance Tower on the site of the old Matafère Tower to house the garrison. In 1272, his son and successor, Philip III the Bold, ordered the continuation of the construction of walls to completely encircle the small town. The work would not be completed for another 30 years.

The town’s ramparts stretch a full 1.6 kilometres (1 mile) in an odd-shaped quadrangle, punctuated by ten entry gates and six defensive towers. The fortified walls protected the old village and the Gothic (1183 AD). Today without the fear of brutal enemy attacks, holiday residences, hotels, restaurants, boutiques and galleries fill the interior of the ramparts.
As the Rhône’s waters wash into the Mediterranean, the river dumps some 20 million cubic meters of silt a year in the area.

Here, on Saint Louis square, opposite the main entrance of the Porte de la Gardette, stands the statue of Saint-Louis.

Note that new programs will be uploaded on the forum next week.

May 01, 2021, 08:52 PM
Reply #325
  • Global Moderator
White dunes as far as the eye can see, a wild and unspoiled nature, the Mediterranean for only horizon, here is the beach of Espiguette. Jewel of the Camargue Gardoise, this spectacular immensity of sand, where dunes and coastline have been particularly preserved, is one of the largest beaches in the north of the Mediterranean Basin. Located south of Port-Camargue and Grau du Roi, half an hour from Montpellier, it unfolds like a desert, its 10 km of dunes and beach over no less than 700 m wide and is renowned for the quality of its bathing waters.

Any idea what the aproximate temperature of that water is? Naturally I refer to the summer months when bathing is possible. I'm not seeing any bathers in your pic so I'm assuming it's still too cold.

May 02, 2021, 03:39 AM
Reply #326
  • Global Moderator

Any idea what the aproximate temperature of that water is? Naturally I refer to the summer months when bathing is possible. I'm not seeing any bathers in your pic so I'm assuming it's still too cold.
Currently, there is an air temperature of 12·C and a sea temperature of 15·C. During summer, sea temperature can reach 25C.

May 11, 2021, 04:52 PM
Reply #327
  • Global Moderator
Tonight, new photos are available on the forum.

Here you can see the viaduct of Millau.
This is a multi-span cable-stayed bridge across the gorge valley of the Tarn near Millau in Southern France. It is the tallest bridge in the world, having a structural height of 336.4 metres.

Here are some pictures taken on the Espiguette Beach.

May 12, 2021, 08:21 PM
Reply #328
  • Global Moderator
Late in the evening, I decided to take a walk in the marina of Port Camargue.
I took a few photos with some beautiful boats.

May 13, 2021, 10:50 AM
Reply #329
  • Global Moderator
Note that there will be new photos tonight.