• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

New topic Photos

Started by scarface, February 01, 2015, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: humbert on May 16, 2021, 05:17 AM
Quote from: scarface on May 14, 2021, 07:59 PMActually, it depends on the size of the boat. With a small motor boat, you can only fish off the coast. With a catamaran like this one, you could easily go to Corsica, Naples, or even Greece, assuming you are a good skipper.

Have you ever been on this boat or similar on a trip to any of these places you mentioned?

Another thing. Corsica is a French island so it makes sense a boat flying the French tricolor could easily dock there. But what about ports in Italy and Greece? I'd guess the coast guard of those countries would stop the boat and ask for documentation. Right?
No, I haven't, and I don't know how to sail a boat. That's why I would need a skipper.
I'd be glad to go to Corsica with you. For a citizen of the EU, an ID card is enough to go to other EU countries. Otherwise, a passport is needed. But you have to know that in Corsica both of US would be considered as foreigners. What's more, I'm afraid you might not like the local dishes. In the evening, facing the sea, you would have to deal with a plate of Corsican charcuterie and a glass of wine. But would you be able to pass the test of the figatellu? You have certainly never seen this in the USA.
Figatellu is a fresh u-shaped sausage made of liver and minced pork meat flavoured with spices, garlic and red wine. Dried and smoked in hardwood, figatellu boasts strong characteristic flavours and a dark, often black colour. Traditionally figatellu is barbecued but may also be pan-fried, cooked in the oven or braised in a sauce with lentils. In classic recipes, it is often accompanied by a Corsican pulenda or the brocciu cheese. Brocciu is prepared from whey (goat's milk) or sheep's milk. Its taste is very sweet. It is mainly consumed, fresh, at the end of a meal.

scarface

Tonight, new photos are available on the forum.
They were taken in the port of Le Grau du roi today.

humbert

That I would be classified as a foreigner in Corsica makes sense. But you? Isn't this French territory?

With respect to those strange foods you mentioned, I'm pretty much like a garbage disposal, i.e., I eat just about anything. There are only a few items I won't touch, and even then it's possible to disguise the bad taste with the right combination of condiments. I've eaten fried ants in Colombia and seaweed soup in a Korean restaurant in Asia. In Thailand they served me something that looks and tastes like sand, as well as sticky rice and mango. For these reasons I'm confident I can swallow that Corsican food you mentioned.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on May 17, 2021, 06:10 AM
That I would be classified as a foreigner in Corsica makes sense. But you? Isn't this French territory?

With respect to those strange foods you mentioned, I'm pretty much like a garbage disposal, i.e., I eat just about anything. There are only a few items I won't touch, and even then it's possible to disguise the bad taste with the right combination of condiments. I've eaten fried ants in Colombia and seaweed soup in a Korean restaurant in Asia. In Thailand they served me something that looks and tastes like sand, as well as sticky rice and mango. For these reasons I'm confident I can swallow that Corsican food you mentioned.
À Few years ago, the nationalists won the regional elections in Corsica.
They speak French, but many Corsicans consider they are not French. I Heard that it's hard to be accepted over there. Since you seem ready for the test of the figatellu, you might be ready to go to Bonifacio.
Note that I received a purchase offer for my flat. 164000â,¬. I don't know if Im going to accept it.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on May 17, 2021, 06:44 AM
À Few years ago, the nationalists won the regional elections in Corsica.
They speak French, but many Corsicans consider they are not French. I Heard that it's hard to be accepted over there. Since you seem ready for the test of the figatellu, you might be ready to go to Bonifacio.

Since it's an island and you're coming in on a boat, it makes sense you'd have to show some ID upon arrival. But as a French citizen on French territory you shouldn't need anything else. No matter how they see themselves, Corsica is not Malta (i.e., not a sovereign nation). I don't know anything about any of this but I'm under the impression these people want to be sovereign while at the same time receiving the benefits France offers it's citizens. You can't have it both ways. If that's not the case, why not just plead for independence? France would probably be happy to let them go -- and stop paying benefits.

BTW is Bonifacio the capital? Google maps doesn't show any city as the capital. Ajaccio looks bigger.

Quote from: scarface on May 17, 2021, 06:44 AM
Note that I received a purchase offer for my flat. 164000â,¬. I don't know if Im going to accept it.

By "flat" you mean an apartment, right? How much floor space does it have? Also, do you have to pay some sort of maintenance payment to the association that takes care of the building?

I'm not sure what you have, but I do know that if I tried to sell my house for the equivalent of 164000â,¬ they'd laugh in my face.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on May 18, 2021, 05:42 AMSince it's an island and you're coming in on a boat, it makes sense you'd have to show some ID upon arrival. But as a French citizen on French territory you shouldn't need anything else. No matter how they see themselves, Corsica is not Malta (i.e., not a sovereign nation).
An ID would be enough in Corsica indeed.

Corsica used to be pretty dangerous for foreigners even if it is safer now.

I'm going to talk about the book, The death of the pinzutu, written by Thérése Cau.
pinzutu ", this is how the French from the continent are called, either in a simply discriminatory or hostile manner in Corsica.
In her seventh novel "Pinzutu", the death of the foreigner, Thérése Cau talks about her experience as a continental teacher in Ajaccio from 1977 to 1987 and she is largely inspired by very real facts and events. .

June 1986. A climate of violence reigns in Corsica. Attacks are increasing against the continentals. Islanders reject the "Pinzuti", " the Foreigners from the continent".
Threatening letters, anonymous calls, racketeering and plastic acts are their daily lot. In this context, Bruno Conte, professor of French, is found floating between two waters in a gulf of Corsica-du-Sud. The young man indulged in his favorite pastime: spearfishing.
Principal Inspector Jean-Yves Guenel, a Breton recently assigned to the Ajaccio police station, refuses the accident thesis. 

Quote from: humbert on May 18, 2021, 05:42 AMI don't know anything about any of this but I'm under the impression these people want to be sovereign while at the same time receiving the benefits France offers it's citizens. You can't have it both ways. If that's not the case, why not just plead for independence? France would probably be happy to let them go -- and stop paying benefits.

BTW is Bonifacio the capital? Google maps doesn't show any city as the capital. Ajaccio looks bigger.
It's pretty much the case.
Ajaccio is bigger indeed. Ajaccio and Bastia are the prefectures of Corsica. There is no capital in Corsica since it's not an independent country, France and Corsica have the same capital.

scarface

Look what I found at the local market:

I'm going to check that I can pass the test of the figatellu at noon. I will put half of the sausage in the oven to cook it.

scarface

Here you can see the sausage and its juice, out of the oven.

And here you can see the figatellu, with some lentils and a glass of beer.

As you can see, my cooking skills are awesome. In Corsica, I and humbert wouldn't be considered as pinzutu for long.

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on May 18, 2021, 01:47 PM
Here you can see the sausage and its juice, out of the oven.

And here you can see the figatellu, with some lentils and a glass of beer.

As you can see, my cooking skills are awesome. In Corsica, I and humbert wouldn't be considered as pinzutu for long.

... The dark spot on the left made this look like a dong at first glance.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on May 18, 2021, 04:43 PM
The dark spot on the left made this look like a dong at first glance.

Dong? Hmmm... I'm not sure if the slang you're using corresponds to what we use here. To me it looks like something in my toilet before I flush it.  :o  Don't think for a second that's going to stop me from tasting it. It may look like what's in my toilet but probably doesn't smell like it.