• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

New topic Photos

Started by scarface, February 01, 2015, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: scarface on August 13, 2021, 04:17 PM
Today I'm going to talk about Lebanon.
Maybe you remember my father. On the photo below, we can see him on the right. This photo was taken in Cairo, during a trip, in 1982.
30 years ago, he wanted to go to Lebanon to work. In the end he decided to stay in France. It was one the world's most prosperous country at this time.

Are you the little guy in the middle of the picture?

scarface

Quote from: humbert on August 17, 2021, 05:31 AMAre you the little guy in the middle of the picture?
No, it's not me. Actually, I don't know who that is.
I think this photo was taken in  the famous souk Khan el-Khalili in Cairo. Maher, aa1234779 or Ahmad may have been here.

scarface

I had planned to show you some photos of a painting exhibition by the artists of the Mediterranean basin in Port Camargue but it was a bit disappointing. Instead, I'm going to show you some photos of Nîmes.

You certainly think that the best preserved temple of the Roman world is located in Italy. That's not the case: it's the square house, in Nîmes.
Construction of the temple started around 16 BC or slightly earlier, at the very start of the Pax Augusta or "Augustan Peace". The first emperor of Rome, Augustus, established a definitive peace after decades of civil war; a fact celebrated, among other things, in Virgil's Aeneid. As part of the new imperial cult, and to mark the dawn of a new era of peace and prosperity, the Romans undertook huge monumental building programs. But new structures were not just built in Rome or even Italy, but also in the provinces further afield. Nîmes, a major city in the province of Gallia Narbonensis, benefited from this building program.
Nîmes, known in ancient times as Nemausus, was gifted beautiful temples, but it also acquired one of the largest amphitheaters in the ancient world, in addition to many other public structures. To supply the city with water, a monumental aqueduct was constructed that, like the Arena and the Maison Carrée, continues to draw visitors: the Pont du Gard.
The Maison Carrée was dedicated, in the early years of the common era, to Gaius and Lucius Caesar. Augustus had intended these grandsons to be his heirs, but they died young. Eventually, Augustus had no choice but to appoint Tiberius, the son of the emperor's wife Livia from an earlier marriage, as his heir.
The Maison Carrée is a typical example of a Roman temple, which in basic structure owes more to the Etruscans than the Greeks. Unlike a Greek temple, which can be approached from any side, a Roman temple can only be accessed from the front. The Maison Carrée has a tall podium, about 2.65m in height, with a flight of steps that provides access to the temple's pronaos or portico. The podium is 26.42m in length and 13.54m wide. The top of the building rises about 15m above the level of the ground.

Some comments will be added later for these photos.

humbert

It never ceases to amaze me how advanced the Roman Empire was. It's sad that many of their advancements in plumbing, engineering and making concrete (among others) were lost to history. They were doing just great until the Christians showed up and pretty much ruined everything. Unfortunately there were too many Christians and not enough lions.

Hitler wanted a 1000 year reich. The Roman Empire lasted longer than that and, sadly, so did the Papal States.

scarface

Today, new photos are available on the forum.

Here you can see a photo taken on the beach in Grau du roi. On the right, you can see the buildings of Grau du roi. In the Background, you can see La Grande Motte.

Last Saturday, I've been to La Grande Motte and I took a few photos:

Right next to the pharmacy situated on the quai Georges Pompidou, there is a good bar-restaurant, Le Delos Maison de la Biere.

scarface

Note that a visit to the Castle of Versailles will be made in November. On this occasion, I will take a few photos for the forum.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on October 22, 2021, 03:31 PM
Note that a visit to the Castle of Versailles will be made in November. On this occasion, I will take a few photos for the forum.

I've been there. Took the tour with a tape recorder they give you. It's too bad I didn't know you at the time.

scarface

Tonight, new photos will be available on the forum.
We have seen that Humbert already visited the castle of Versailles and some users of the forum have certainly already heard of this castle. Actually, I already visited this castle too...in 2008.
That's why there won't be photos of the castle of Versailles. Instead, you will see a few photos taken in a small castle of the Loire Valley (located near Orléans).

scarface

Tonight, some photos of the castle de la Ferté Saint-Aubin are available on the forum.

The construction of the castle de la Ferté Saint-Aubin, located near Orléans, began at the end of the 16th century. We know that it was the grandson of Henri de Saint-Nectaire who ordered the construction, with the help of the architect Théodore Lefèvre.
The castle consists of the small castle on the left of the current body and which was built before 1600. On the other side lies the large castle with 2 pavilions which date from the 17th century.
The castle is surrounded by a moat.

Here you can see stables

The Billiard room.

A room

The kitchen

Now imagine the scene.
Humbert and Maher have decided to buy a castle and many users of the forum moved in.
Maher, usman, and I are playing belote in the kitchen. Meanwhile, Topdog is racking the balls in the billiard room: he and Ahmad are playing pool. Some noise is coming from an adjacent room.  usman's curiosity is aroused and we decide to see what is going on. It was a false alarm: through the half-open door, we can see humbert and shadow.97 watching the american TV series amour gloire et beauté (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucxd2Ano6vM).
As for Vasudev and aa1234779, they have gone out for a hunt and won't be back till nightfall. In the forest the hunting dog is suddenly stopping in front of bushes. The tension is rising rapidly. It's dangerous when a boar charges and Vasudev is afraid aa1234779 might not be able to help him if a big boar is attacking: aa1234779 really appreciated the snails and the red wine and they may entail dire consequences for his usual pinpoint accuracy. Fortunately, this time, no boar is darting out of bushes: the shrubs were shaking because of a pheasant.

scarface

Today, I'm going to show you a few photos taken yesterday in Paris.

Here you can see the Eiffel tower.

On the avenue Kleber. A Little further, situated at 19 Avenue Kleber, you can see two lion statues in front of the door of The Peninsula hotel (a palace bought by...a Qatari firm).

On the Champs Elysées. Humbert has probably recognized the Mcdonald's, decorated with garlands on the left, where he has been a few decades ago.

On the place Saint Augustin

A view from the terrace of Meudon. You can see the Eiffel Tower in the middle of the picture.
In the background, you can make out the Basilica of the sacred heart (on the right of the Eiffel tower).
If there is less oil available in the future, what is going to happen in cities like this, which are heavily reliant on cheap energy ?

Actually, I went to the park of Meudon to walk: I have joint blockages in the ankles and I'm trying to walk during the week ends to relieve the pain caused  by rheumatism. A few weeks ago,  a good tennis player contacted me (the last time I played tennis with him it was in 2008), but I didn't dare to respond to his request due to a "deteriorating" physical condition. Aa1234779 must be thinking that those joint problems are caused by alcohol, but I don't drink (except when I'm presenting a recipe on the forum). I'm drinking regularly some good cow milk, I hope it will help.

Monsieur baboon