• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Moving Data from One Computer to Another

Started by humbert, September 11, 2011, 06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abdou_90

have you tried the remote desktop connection ?

microteksys

JUST REMOVE THE OLD DRIVE AND CONNECT I TO THE NEW COMPUTER AND NAVIGATE, TO THE FILES YOU WANT TO TRANSFER, EXAMPLE: GO TO THE THE DRIVE '"E" FOR EXAMPLE, OPEN IT, AND BROWSE TO USERS AND SETTINGS, CHOOSE THE USER AND THEN FIND PICTURES, DOCUMENTS, OR MUSIC, SELECT THEM, COPY AND PASTE THEM INTO THE LOCAL USER, EXAMPLE: C>USERS>PICTURES>DOCUMENTS>MUSIC>ETC, ETC...ETC...WHERE EVER YOU WANNA PASTE THEM IS YOUR DECISION...HOPE THIS HELPS..CHEERS...

humbert

Quote from: abdou_90 on January 18, 2012, 03:47 PM
have you tried the remote desktop connection ?

Enlighten me.

Ever since the days of XP when I first had 2 computers in the house and found the need to network them, I changed the name "workgroup" to something else (on all computers) and shared the drives. This method worked and I've been using it ever since. With Win 7, I found that this method works perfectly only if you tell Windows you have a "work network" as opposed to a "home network"? I have no clue what the difference between them is, I only know it works.

I have never tried remote desktop connection. Please give me a brief tutorial on how to use it.

Thanks,

BLADESHARK

Step 1: Configure the Remote Computer
On the remote Windows XP Professional-based computer, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then right-click My Computer.
On the shortcut menu that appears, click Properties.
Click the Remote tab, and then click to select the Allow users to connect remotely to this computer check box.
When you are prompted to confirm this change, click OK.
Click Select Remote Users, and then click Add to specify additional user accounts to be granted remote access.

NOTE: Administrators are automatically granted remote access privileges.
When you are finished adding user accounts, click OK. Make sure that the account that is being added does actually exist on the remote computer. If the account does not exist on the remote computer, create it.
Click OK, and then click OK again.
Step 2: Configure the Local Computer
Configure the Remote Desktop feature on the Windows-based computer. To do this, follow these steps:
Insert the Windows XP compact disc (CD) into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive on the local computer.
On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP screen that appears, click Perform additional tasks.
Click Set up Remote Desktop Connection.
Follow the steps of the Remote Desktop Connection InstallShield Wizard to install Remote Desktop Connection.

NOTE: If Remote Desktop Connection is already installed, you may receive the following error message:
Remote Desktop Connection cannot be installed because your operating system already has a built-in version. See More Programs\Accessories\Communications\Remote Desktop Connections on your start menu.

Step 3: Connect to the Remote Computer
To connect to the remote Windows XP Professional-based computer, follow these steps:
Log on to the local Windows-based computer.
Make sure that you are connected to the Internet or to the LAN. If you require a dial-up connection to a virtual private network (VPN) or Remote Access server, connect to it.
Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection.
Click Options.
In the Computer list, type the host name or the IP address of the computer to which you want to connect.
Type the user name, password, and domain (if applicable) of an account to which you have allowed remote access into the corresponding boxes, and then click Connect.
In the Log On to Windows dialog box that appears, type the password of the account with remote access privileges into the Password box .
In the Log on to list, if applicable, select the domain or remote computer that you want, and then click OK.

The remote desktop is displayed in a window on the desktop. The remote Windows XP Professional-based computer is locked during this session.
To disconnect the session, click the Close button in the session window, and then click OK when you are prompted to disconnect the Windows session.

NOTE: If the remote session is displayed in full-screen mode, you may be unable to see the Close button. In this case, restore the window from the remote session banner that is displayed at the top of the session window (click the Restore button).
�There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met.�

BLADESHARK

humbert

Quote from: BLADESHARK on February 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
if you need a client
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-xp
Video tutorial:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDpKdkBsIdI

Thanks for the tip. Whenever you advise me, though, just keep in mind I've been using 7-64 for close to 1½ years now, and I wouldn't go back to XP not even at gunpoint  :). However, the site you suggested contains many other videos concerning the transfer of files from one computer to the next using all OS's, so your link was useful regardless. Sadly, though, I couldn't watch the video because I'm spending a few days in Mexico. It's my father-in-law's B/day and they're celebrating - plus the fact that he has a heart condition complicated by type 2 diabetes. We're all hoping it won't be his last B/day celebration. Anyhow, the reason I mentioned that is because the WiFi they have here is so slow even watching a low-def youtube video is impossible - lots of stoppages and refubberings (I'm using my wife's laptop). Can hardly wait to get back home, the wife's family treats me very nicely but it's just very boring here.

Briefly changing the topic, I've noticed Youtube has for all intents and purposes become another Google -- you can search for and find answers for just about anything.

Ahmad

Hello my friend,  :)
Quote from: humb25 on February 16, 2012, 04:14 AM
Sadly, though, I couldn't watch the video because I'm spending a few days in Mexico. It's my father-in-law's B/day and they're celebrating

Have nice days there  and safely be back soon. :)
I want to understand something ; What does this word mean "my father-in-law" ?
Does it mean your wife's father and this what you call wife's father there ?
Take care.  :D
Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.

BLADESHARK

Hope you are well there in Mexico :P
Wish your father-in-law happy birthday from my side and wish him a long life. :D
Be back soon ;)
will be waiting.................... ::)

humbert

Quote from: Ahmad on February 16, 2012, 07:00 AM
Have nice days there  and safely be back soon. :)
I want to understand something ; What does this word mean "my father-in-law" ?
Does it mean your wife's father and this what you call wife's father there ?
Take care.  :D

To answer your question: the term "in law" usually refers to the same relationship your wife has with her family or your brother/sister has with their husband/wife. My wife's father is my father-in-law, her mother my mother-in-law, and same same goes for her brothers and sisters. Similarly, when my sister was married to her son's father, her then-husband was also my brother-in-law, and I was his too. See how it works?

I'm counting the days go get back home (this coming Monday). As I've said before, they treat me great and we get along fine, that's not the reason. The problem is that they have their things go do, my wife wants to visit cousins and siblings that live in the nearby city of Monterrey (I am in Sabinas Hidalgo, where my father in law is a big landowner). This means I get to spend all day sitting in the living room with my wife's laptop and and ultra-slow internet connection where even viewing a clip on Youtube is a problem. I keep telling them to so much as ask for a price on how much more bandwidth will cost, but they're just not interested.  And of course the TV is still one of those ancient, square low-definition TV's. In America those TV's were made obsolete in 2009 when the government finally ordered all analog signals turned off, and thus TV there is 100% digital.

BTW, all these places I mentioned, for whoever is curious, can easily be found on Google Maps.

Ahmad

Quote from: humb25 on February 18, 2012, 06:42 AM
To answer your question: the term "in law" usually refers to the same relationship your wife has with her family or your brother/sister has with their husband/wife. My wife's father is my father-in-law, her mother my mother-in-law, and same same goes for her brothers and sisters. Similarly, when my sister was married to her son's father, her then-husband was also my brother-in-law, and I was his too. See how it works?

OK, I get it.  :)
Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.