• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to show you another recipe.

Look at the photos below.
humbert and shadow.97 must be wondering what kind of sausage it is. Is it a boudin? A figatellu? A saucisse de Montbéliard?
You can also try to analyze the cooking method used.
I'm going to reveal the nature of this sausage: it is a figatellu, or more precisely half of the sausage since figatelli have a distincive U-shape.
Maher and humbert must be wondering why I'm boiling the sausage in a saucepan to cook it: because sometimes figatelli are too salty, boiling it may change the texture of the meat, but it will help dissolve more of the salt.

scarface

Today, I'm going to tell you how to get a well-cooked pizza.

Look at the photo below.

You can see a pizza with jambon, mozarella and mushrooms. But how to cook it?
Preheating the oven is an essential step, whether you are making pizza or other dishes. It will allow your appliance to heat up so that, when you place your dish on it, the desired cooking temperature is already reached. In general, the preheating time is about 10 minutes, depending on the power of the oven and the desired temperature. In order to bake a pizza, it is advisable to set your electric oven to the highest heat offered. Indeed, for a perfect cooking, the temperature must be high. Thus, on a traditional oven, you can generally select a temperature between 230 ° C and 250 ° C. If you have a professional electric oven or a pizza oven, the maximum temperature can be up to 270 ° C.
For a successful pizza, its dough must be able to swell very quickly. Indeed, if the cooking lasts, the foods in your pizza may overcook or even wet your dough. It will then not become crispy.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on August 26, 2021, 01:11 PM
Today, I'm going to tell you how to get a well-cooked pizza.

This thing looks like someone burned it.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on August 28, 2021, 05:48 AM
This thing looks like someone burned it.

Maybe this wouldn't have happened with your expertise indeed.
Actually, I put the pizza on an oven rack that was probably too close to the resistance, hence the over-burnt impression of the dough. But the pizza was pretty good.

Now imagine this scene. We are together, with humbert, Maher, Vasudev, shadow.97, aa1234779...
aa1234779 and Vasudev are drinking a Pastis-tomate, the quintessential beverage of Provence. At the same table, shadow.97 is talking about the new DDR5 to Maher. I'm watching an episode of Melrose place with humbert.
In the meantime the pizza is in the oven. But we suddenly realize that we have forgotten the pizza: it's burnt ! This is something that often happens when nobody is focused enough on the primary mission.
And here is the outcome of the process:

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to show you another dish.
On the photo below, you can see a little caillette and some bred.

Caillette is minced meat mixed with cabbage or chard then cooked in a cloth.
It comes from the Ardèche region in south-central France which is famous for chestnuts, sheep farming, Stone Age cave paintings and a scenic river... and the slightly flattened, souped-up meatballs dating back to the 16th century known as caillettes.
Pork has always been closely linked with the lives of the country folk of the Ardèche, with the traditional "tuade" (pig-killing) becoming the occasion for a village fête. Charcuterie, sausages, pâtés, and caillettes made their appearance on the table at every mealtime.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to show you something.
Look at the picture below.

As you can see, it is a cup of coffee, or a mug.
Since humbert and Maher are learning French, we're are going to see the correct translation in French.

In French, the usual word for cup is "une tasse". And in both English and in French, we can use "cup" or "tasse" in a metonymy. For instance, in the following sentence:
humbert and shadow.97 are at the bar, they are drinking a cup of coffee. For this you will say "humbert et shadow.97 sont au bar, ils boivent une tasse de café".
Note that you have to be careful: if the meaning of "boire une tasse" is obvious, and in certain cases you don't even need to precise the content since it is coffee most of the time, the expression "boire la tasse" means "to swallow a mouthful of water when swimming", and in the figurative sense, to suffer a setback.
So if you say "humbert et shadow.97 sont au bar, ils boivent la tasse", you interlocutor might be led to believe they are being bullied in the bathroom.

Now let's talk about the mug.
A mug is a large cup, typically cylindrical with a handle and used without a saucer. And this word appeared recently in France. For example in the book about James Dean "une dernière nuit avec Jimmy", released in 2010, we can read "Sandy vida son mug de café tiède".
Of course, In the French language the word mug is an anglicism, and in Quebec "mug" is not even used, they simply say "tasse" in this sense.
Note that the mug is also pretty similar to the beer mug, known as "chope" and used for drinking or measuring in Europe and Quebec, but it's only used for drinking hot liquids in North America.

Now humbert, Maher and Vasudev must be wondering if there is a French word for mug, which would depict a big cup.
And in litterature, we can find a word that has practically disappeared: "une moque". For example in 1922, Anatole France was writting in the book "The bloom of life": "Après m'avoir offert dans un cabaret du faubourg deux moques d'un cidre très dur, qui me fit mal à la tête, il m'emmena dans sa carriole au village de Saint-Pierre."
But the word "moque" is not used any longer. If you are saying in a bar "Je veux une moque de cidre", you might be served cider, but in a typical glass.

And even the newspaper Le monde is using the anglicism "mug" to promote some travel mugs: https://www.lemonde.fr/guides-d-achat/article/2019/03/31/les-meilleurs-mugs-de-voyage_5443857_5306571.html

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another healthy recipe.
Look at the photo below.

You can see some little veggies, with a pork rib.
On the veggies, you can see some shallot sauce. Often found alongside onions and garlic in the grocery store, shallots are an indispensable ingredient to any pantry, lending a nuanced, soft, and fresh flavor to everything from dressings, to stocks, to quiches. If it is delicate enough to eat raw, this one was roasted with olive oil in order to melt in the mouth.
Finally, some mayonnaise was added to complete the dish.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another dish.
Look at the photo below. I'm waiting for your feedbacks. I'll give some comments later.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on November 10, 2021, 08:01 PM
Tonight, I'm going to present another dish.
Look at the photo below. I'm waiting for your feedbacks. I'll give some comments later.

Sweet potato and grilled meat glazed with butter and glass of wine, a perfect dinner.

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on November 11, 2021, 08:43 PM
Sweet potato and grilled meat glazed with butter and glass of wine, a perfect dinner.
The answer of Vasudev is interesting since he was able to recognize the vegetable and the wine, but not the rest of the dish.
The other youngsters of the forum have probably recognized the potatoes too. But what about the yellow stuff in the small pan and the meat?
Actually, what you see on the right is a raclette device, used to heat some cheese, therefore, what you see in the raclette pan is melted cheese. Meanwhile, some potatoes remain hot on top of the device. As for the meat, it is called Rosette de Lyon. It is traditionally dried sausage made from lean pork.

Now imagine the scene.
Many users of the forum have gathered around a large wooden table in order to enjoy a raclette.
Maher and Vasudev are inspecting the device: they have never seen this before. Each guest has to arrange a cheese portion in a raclette pan and put it in the device.
We start the meal with a homemade aperitif and everyone seems happy. We are listening to usman: Pakistan has legendary tales and folklore stories to boast about.
Shadow.97 and aa1234779 are so glad to discover this recipe that they are literally jumping on their chair. This is probably due to the combined effect of the melted cheese and red wine.
Suddenly it smells burnt: one of us has forgotten a pan with a cheese portion in the device.