Author Topic: What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?  (Read 17655 times)

September 06, 2019, 04:26 PM
Reply #90
  • Global Moderator
You can make pretty good blue-cheese dip for crisps/chips. Depending on which word you prefer.
Chips is the French word, and if I'm not mistaken it's better to use crisp in English.
In my opinion it's a shame to put some cheese on some crisps. You can eat it with some bread, but using it with crisps is almost a blasphemy.
Ultra processed foods contain hydrogenated vegetable fats, from margarine to sweets, deep-fried foods, stock cubes and crisps. What's more, Eating highly-processed foods such as ready meals, cereals and crisps, raises your risk of a heart attack or stroke as scientists call for public health action: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/15/ultraprocessed_foods_linked_to_cancer_caution/

Now, look at the picture below.

Maybe you know this kind of cheese. For Maher and usman, these 2 Crottins hold probably no secret.

The true Crottin is produced from the raw milk of an alpine breed of goat easily recognized by it brown thick coat.
This is one of the rare cheese that can be eaten at different stages of maturity, for example when the cheese continues to mature after 6 weeks the rind becomes rough and hard over time.
Fresh, it has a creamy, nutty taste. Later on in the maturing process it acquires a pronounced flavour.
As the cheese continues to mature, the robust taste increases, but is never sour. Fresh from the cheese vat, it is often eaten clothed in fine herbs and at this stage in the maturing process it has a creamy texture.
After about six weeks the smell is stronger and its pate becomes dry and brittle and has a harder texture.

Note that in French, the word crottin also means manure.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 02:57 PM by scarface »

September 08, 2019, 05:09 PM
Reply #91
  • Global Moderator
To Shadow.97: I was talking about ultra-processed foods because there is now evidence it can increase the risk of cancer. In the US, many suffer from an epidemic of food-related diseases, such as obesity. Unfortunately in our societies, we don't eat enough vegetables and fruits any more.
I told humbert my father died of lung cancer. And yet he quit smoking decades ago. I found a topic on a French forum where somebody died under eerily similar circumstances, with the same timing: http://forum.doctissimo.fr/sante/cancers/cancer-poumon-foudroyant-sujet_158550_1.htm

September 08, 2019, 08:45 PM
Reply #92
  • Global Moderator
In the US, many suffer from an epidemic of food-related diseases, such as obesity. Unfortunately in our societies, we don't eat enough vegetables and fruits any more.

The problem is junk food is ubiquitous and people gobble it up left and right. Here in the USA it's notorious and quickly spreading outside the country. Many people may hate America, but they copy everything the Americans do.

I told humbert my father died of lung cancer. And yet he quit smoking decades ago. I found a topic on a French forum where somebody died under eerily similar circumstances

The simple fact that someone dies of lung cancer doesn't necessarily mean they smoke, or used to. Smoking exacerbates lung cancer but is by no means the only cause.

September 11, 2019, 02:15 PM
Reply #93
  • Global Moderator
Tonight, I'm going to show you another cheese.

Look carefully at the picture below. What you see is exceptional indeed.
shadow.97 must be wondering if it is a piece of Gouda, while aa1234779 must be thinking it's a large chunk of Emmental.

Actually, what you see in an old Cantal.
One of the oldest cheeses in France,Cantal dates back to the times of the Gauls. It came to prominence when Marshal Henri de La Ferté-Senneterre served it at the table of Louis XIV.
Cantal is made from cow's milk and is aged for several months. The form is massive, and the cheese has a soft interior. Its flavor, which is somewhat reminiscent of Cheddar, is a strong, tangy butter taste and grows with age. A well ripened Cantal has a vigorous taste, while a young cheese has the sweetness of raw milk.

You can eat it with some good bread along with wine. For example you can choose a bottle of Sidi Brahim or some Boulaouane. The former is the last wine that I drank with my father in a restaurant and I remember it's an excellent wine for a decent price.
If by any chance you are drinking such a wine, you'll tell me what you think.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 03:56 PM by scarface »

September 17, 2019, 01:15 PM
Reply #94
  • Global Moderator
Tonight, there is another riddle on the forum.

Now look at the picture below. I'm sure that Vasudev and aa1234779 are wondering what it is.
This is a little cheese made with whole goat’s milk and which comes from Ardèche and Drôme. It is enjoyed at every level of maturity: from ten days when it is still white and moist, to semi-mature with a blue or gray bloomy rind, to a very dry mature cheese.

Now you have to give the right answer.

Is it a slice of Cantal?
Are they crottins?
is it a lump of Roquefort?
Are they Picodon?
or maybe some small Camembert?

January 24, 2020, 01:59 PM
Reply #95
  • Global Moderator
Tonight, I'm going to talk about a certain type of food.

Look at the photo below.

What you see on this photo is certainly exceptional for some of you, since you probably don’t know this wine, as well as the weird stuff in the plate.

As far as the wine is concerned, it is a boulaouane, an excellent wine from Morocco. Actually it’s a pretty good wine, and for such a quality, it’s rather cheap. It’s not as good as the finest clarets such as the Pomerol wine, or a bottle of Saint Emilion like the Château Beau-Séjour Bécot or Chateau Figeac. But this bottle only costs 3,5€ and not 60€ like the Beau-séjour Bécot. Note that if you are buying a cheap bottle of Saint Emilion, you can get a disappointing wine that may turn out to be much worse than a Boulaouane.

Now, you are probably wondering what is lying in the plate. It might look like a rotten carrot whereas it’s a piece of meat. As a matter of fact, it’s likely few of you have ever tasted this kind of sausage. It was cut in half and you can see it does not look fat. I guess shadow.97 and humbert already know what it is.
It is a Figatelli, a Corsican sausage made of liver and pork flavoured with spices. It is then made in a U-shaped form, dried at temperature or smoked in beech wood. It’ s more expensive that a mere saucisson, and it’s better too. The smell is not the same either. If you are smelling some saucisson, I’m not going to say it stinks, but Hermès is not going to release a perfume called pork fragrance, unless they don’t want to sell it, even though the rotten fish smell is certainly much worse. They must be already wondering who they are going to sell their handbags to, if the Chinese are contaminated with the coronavirus. But when you smell the Figatelli, there is a wood smell and it’s not unpleasant.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 02:02 PM by scarface »

February 13, 2020, 02:38 PM
Reply #96
  • Global Moderator
Tonight, I'm sharing another excellent recipe: A gratin of vegetables with some beef meat ("une bavette d'aloyau") cooked with shallots. To make this gratin I peeled the potatoes and cut the beans.
With this I'm drinking a famous wine, a Beaume de Venise.
The typical Beaumes-de-Venise wine is a ripe, bright, fruit-driven red with medium body and relatively high alcohol. It is characterized by aromas of raspberry, blackcurrant, leather and sweet spice. Grenache and Syrah - the Rhone Valley's two key red-wine grapes - dominate these wines. Under the Beaumes-de-Venise appellation production laws, Grenache must constitute at least 50% of any wine, complemented by between 25% and 50% Syrah.

Note that I'm currently eating this wonderful gratin. I just opened the bottle of wine and I tasted this Beaume de Venise.
I was afraid I might be disappointed, and if I'm not wrong the last time I drank some Beaume de Venise, it was in Paris in 2015.
And it turns out it's an excellent wine. at 15° of alcohol, it should be pretty strong, and yet it's sweet. This bottle was at 10€. For this price you can be disappointed with a cheap Saint Emilion, but this Beaume de Venise is really exquisite. In my opinion this wine is as good as a Chateau beauséjour bécot which is an excellent wine. (You can get the classification of Saint Emilion here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classification_of_Saint-%C3%89milion_wine)
For those who are drinking some Chateau cheval blanc or chateau Pavie, I wouldn't give my opinion since I never tested those wines.
It's more expensive than a bottle of Boulaouane, but it's better, there is no doubt about it.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:07 PM by scarface »

February 14, 2020, 01:56 PM
Reply #97
  • Global Moderator
Tonight, I'm posting a photo of my dinner.

As you can see there is a pizza on the lower part of the photo. It's not something that you and I should eat everyday though, because it's not dietetic food. I'm sure that aa1234779 and shadow.97 are currently peering down at the glass. The color of the wine is exceptional indeed, even though it might be a sin to drink such a wine with a pizza.
Note that I'm still doing sports to eliminate all these excesses. And you know that I'm waging a jihad against the American food (No soda. No fast food). And yet it's not enough. I put on weight lately.

You can also see my new phone. It's one of the cheapest smartphones currently available, 5 times cheaper than a iphone 11. It's a honor 9 lite. My current 5 year-old samsung is still working but I was afraid I might losing it and its data.
And for this price, it's probably an excellent smartphone. It's running Android 8. I know android 9 is compatible with it but I don't know how to install it. So I'll keep android 8. I'm not really into smartphones anyway. Unlike usmangujjar and shadow.97 I grew up with the Ninja turtles, Club dorothée and computers, not with smartphones.
I knew that it had a weak spot though, but I couldn't imagine it was that bad. The camera is bad. The photo below was taken with the samsung. Yesterday's photo was taken with the Honor. Look at the chair on the first photo. We don't know if it's a chair or if I painted the wall. In both cases I had to use the flash.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 02:09 PM by scarface »

February 20, 2020, 06:11 AM
Reply #98
  • Global Moderator
Today, I'm posting another photo on the forum.

Look carefully at the photo below. And try to analyze it. You can already make assumptions and gather clues.
What is the wine in the background? And what is in the plate?

You have certainly noticed that the white stuff is a stick of goat cheese. This one is pretty exceptional, since it was ripened with white mold: it looks as if it was coated in a fluffy jacket.
With such a cheese, a red wine is necessary. Here you can see a bottle of Cahors.
Cahors is a small town in southwestern France. The typical Cahors wine is darkly colored and has a meaty, herb-tinged aroma, with hints of spiced black cherries and a whiff of cedar. This is a cheap wine. This bottle only costs 2€. And yet, It's not a bad wine, it's certainly much better than a bottle of villageoise which tastes like vinegar. So I wouldn't call this a "piquette". And you have probably understood that it's probably better to drink a bottle like this with a little goat cheese than a famous claret which might spoil the taste of the cheese.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 02:34 PM by scarface »

February 20, 2020, 02:35 PM
Reply #99
  • Global Moderator
Note that I held a conference in the previous message to dispel the doubts relating to the above-mentioned questions.