• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: Shadow.97 on September 04, 2019, 11:16 PM
You can make pretty good blue-cheese dip for crisps/chips. Depending on which word you prefer.
Chips is the French word, and if I'm not mistaken it's better to use crisp in English.
In my opinion it's a shame to put some cheese on some crisps. You can eat it with some bread, but using it with crisps is almost a blasphemy.
Ultra processed foods contain hydrogenated vegetable fats, from margarine to sweets, deep-fried foods, stock cubes and crisps. What's more, Eating highly-processed foods such as ready meals, cereals and crisps, raises your risk of a heart attack or stroke as scientists call for public health action: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/15/ultraprocessed_foods_linked_to_cancer_caution/

Now, look at the picture below.

Maybe you know this kind of cheese. For Maher and usman, these 2 Crottins hold probably no secret.

The true Crottin is produced from the raw milk of an alpine breed of goat easily recognized by it brown thick coat.
This is one of the rare cheese that can be eaten at different stages of maturity, for example when the cheese continues to mature after 6 weeks the rind becomes rough and hard over time.
Fresh, it has a creamy, nutty taste. Later on in the maturing process it acquires a pronounced flavour.
As the cheese continues to mature, the robust taste increases, but is never sour. Fresh from the cheese vat, it is often eaten clothed in fine herbs and at this stage in the maturing process it has a creamy texture.
After about six weeks the smell is stronger and its pate becomes dry and brittle and has a harder texture.

Note that in French, the word crottin also means manure.

scarface

To Shadow.97: I was talking about ultra-processed foods because there is now evidence it can increase the risk of cancer. In the US, many suffer from an epidemic of food-related diseases, such as obesity. Unfortunately in our societies, we don't eat enough vegetables and fruits any more.
I told humbert my father died of lung cancer. And yet he quit smoking decades ago. I found a topic on a French forum where somebody died under eerily similar circumstances, with the same timing: http://forum.doctissimo.fr/sante/cancers/cancer-poumon-foudroyant-sujet_158550_1.htm

humbert

Quote from: scarface on September 09, 2019, 01:09 AM
In the US, many suffer from an epidemic of food-related diseases, such as obesity. Unfortunately in our societies, we don't eat enough vegetables and fruits any more.

The problem is junk food is ubiquitous and people gobble it up left and right. Here in the USA it's notorious and quickly spreading outside the country. Many people may hate America, but they copy everything the Americans do.

Quote from: scarface on September 09, 2019, 01:09 AM
I told humbert my father died of lung cancer. And yet he quit smoking decades ago. I found a topic on a French forum where somebody died under eerily similar circumstances

The simple fact that someone dies of lung cancer doesn't necessarily mean they smoke, or used to. Smoking exacerbates lung cancer but is by no means the only cause.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to show you another cheese.

Look carefully at the picture below. What you see is exceptional indeed.
shadow.97 must be wondering if it is a piece of Gouda, while aa1234779 must be thinking it's a large chunk of Emmental.

Actually, what you see in an old Cantal.
One of the oldest cheeses in France,Cantal dates back to the times of the Gauls. It came to prominence when Marshal Henri de La Ferté-Senneterre served it at the table of Louis XIV.
Cantal is made from cow's milk and is aged for several months. The form is massive, and the cheese has a soft interior. Its flavor, which is somewhat reminiscent of Cheddar, is a strong, tangy butter taste and grows with age. A well ripened Cantal has a vigorous taste, while a young cheese has the sweetness of raw milk.

You can eat it with some good bread along with wine. For example you can choose a bottle of Sidi Brahim or some Boulaouane. The former is the last wine that I drank with my father in a restaurant and I remember it's an excellent wine for a decent price.

scarface

Tonight, there is another riddle on the forum.

Now look at the picture below. I'm sure that Vasudev and aa1234779 are wondering what it is.
This is a little cheese made with whole goat’s milk and which comes from Ardèche and Drôme. It is enjoyed at every level of maturity: from ten days when it is still white and moist, to semi-mature with a blue or gray bloomy rind, to a very dry mature cheese.

Now you have to give the right answer.

Is it a slice of Cantal?
Are they crottins?
is it a lump of Roquefort?
Are they Picodon?
or maybe some small Camembert?

scarface

Tonight, I’m going to present another recipe: curry rice with avocado and a little piece of meat.

Curry, butter and avocado do a terrific job of perking up rice. With this you can see on the photo a little slice of French faux-filet, also known as sirloin (It is beef meat). It’s a pretty balanced and elaborate meal, and it’s probably healthy. Of course, in a restaurant it would be expensive, because it requires time to prepare this. Actually, I calculated the cost of this: 3.8â,¬ (without the wine of course): it would be cheaper than a mcdonald.

With this exquiste meal, let’s open a bottle of Crozes Hermitage, a presitigious wine. I'm pretty sure this is the first thing that aa1234779 noticed. I feel obliged to give more information about it.
The Crozes-Hermitage vineyards lie on the left bank of the RhoÌ,ne. This is the largest northern appellations extending across 11 communes in the DroÌ,me. The prestigious wines of Crozes-Hermitage are available in red (made from Syrah) and white (made from Roussanne and Marsanne). Crozes-Hermitage reds are elegant, well-balanced, easy-drinking wines.
Note that I've just tested this one and it's excellent indeed. of course, It's better than a carte noire from Cahors, which is a "vin de table" (but not a "piquette") for 2,5â,¬ a bottle. A bottle of Croze-Hermitage of 75cl costs approximately 15â,¬. It's perhaps even better than the Beaume de Venise. I don't know actually.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another recipe: the couscous.
Maybe some of you already heard of the couscous. I guess aa1234779 or humbert know the recipe.

First and foremost: let's prepare the couscous.
In a small pot, bring the broth, raisins, harissa and couscous seasoning to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the couscous. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and transfer to a large bowl. Cover and set aside.

Then, Preheat the grill, setting the burners to high. In the centre of a large sheet of aluminum foil, place the vegetables, broth and couscous seasoning. Season with salt and pepper. Close and tightly seal the papillote.
Place the papillote on the grill, close the lid and cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, grill the sausages for about 5 minutes, turning them several times, or until cooked through.

In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
Open the papillote. Add the vegetables and their cooking juices to the couscous and combine. Add the garnish and serve with the sausages.

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on March 07, 2020, 10:21 PM
Tonight, I'm going to present another recipe: the couscous.
Maybe some of you already heard of the couscous. I guess aa1234779 or humbert know the recipe.

First and foremost: let's prepare the couscous.
In a small pot, bring the broth, raisins, harissa and couscous seasoning to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the couscous. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and transfer to a large bowl. Cover and set aside.

Then, Preheat the grill, setting the burners to high. In the centre of a large sheet of aluminum foil, place the vegetables, broth and couscous seasoning. Season with salt and pepper. Close and tightly seal the papillote.
Place the papillote on the grill, close the lid and cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, grill the sausages for about 5 minutes, turning them several times, or until cooked through.

In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
Open the papillote. Add the vegetables and their cooking juices to the couscous and combine. Add the garnish and serve with the sausages.

When I make couscous I just take Couscous with some salt, serve with a hamburger and then some peas or something. That's quite different.

scarface

Quote from: Shadow.97 on March 08, 2020, 02:59 PM
When I make couscous I just take Couscous with some salt, serve with a hamburger and then some peas or something. That's quite different.
There is no semolina? Interesting. This is an original recipe.
But it might be just half of a couscous then.

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on March 08, 2020, 03:31 PM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on March 08, 2020, 02:59 PM
There is no semolina? Interesting. This is an original recipe.
But it might be just half of a couscous then.
The only time I've ever heard of semolina is semolina porridge. Not sure about anything else regarding it.