• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 07, 2020, 04:06 AM
That looks a lot like the blood sausages they have here. Not even sure what they call them. Looks like something tasty though.
It's a blood sausage indeed. Since you said you would "skip" the Morteau sausage, and now you are using the expression "they have here", I guess you would skip the black boudin too.
Whether you are a vegan or a man of faith, maybe you are right, today we are collectively eating too much meat.

A study showed that a staggering 60 percent of all mammals on the planet are livestock.
The data shows that in addition to 60 percent of mammals being livestock (mainly cattle and pigs) 36 percent are human, and just four percent are wild animals. When it comes to birds, 70 percent are farmed poultry, with just 30 percent being wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBjl4n_WYos

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on December 10, 2020, 09:45 PM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 07, 2020, 04:06 AM
That looks a lot like the blood sausages they have here. Not even sure what they call them. Looks like something tasty though.
It's a blood sausage indeed. Since you said you would "skip" the Morteau sausage, and now you are using the expression "they have here", I guess you would skip the black boudin too.
Whether you are a vegan or a man of faith, maybe you are right, today we are collectively eating too much meat.

A study showed that a staggering 60 percent of all mammals on the planet are livestock.
The data shows that in addition to 60 percent of mammals being livestock (mainly cattle and pigs) 36 percent are human, and just four percent are wild animals. When it comes to birds, 70 percent are farmed poultry, with just 30 percent being wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBjl4n_WYos

This is the blood-pudding I'm used to back home in sweden. Fried, often served with something that is like hashbrowns. You almost always have Lingonberry, at home we also used to have bacon strips, but I was never a big fan of the bacon.

The picture of the plate looks almost identical to what I would have on my plate in school.

scarface

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 15, 2020, 09:31 PM
This is the blood-pudding I'm used to back home in sweden. Fried, often served with something that is like hashbrowns. You almost always have Lingonberry, at home we also used to have bacon strips, but I was never a big fan of the bacon.
The picture of the plate looks almost identical to what I would have on my plate in school.
Well, I read that this blood-pudding is an institution in which Swedes take great pride indeed.
To put it bluntly, the boudin is not very popular in France. You will not find this in a school either. The Steak frites is more common. Unquestionably, any steak frites worth having demands a proper béarnaise sauce.
I'm sure that humbert and aa1234779 were happy to discover the black boudin anyway.

And tonight, I'm going to show you another cheese.
Look at the photo below. This cheese is called Pont l’Eveque and it comes from Normandy.
This smelly delicacy is one of the oldest known types of cheese, dating back to the 13th century. And it smells like it’s that old too. This is the kind of cheese you need to keep wrapped-up in the fridge unless you want everything else smelling like it.
I'm thinking about Vasudev, usman or humbert, and I'm not sure they would taste this one, which is particularly ripe, without the help of the red wine.
Here, the putrefaction process has begun and the cheese takes on the “rotten potato” smell.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to show you another recipe.
Look at the photo below.
I guess aa1234779, Maher and shadow.97 have already identified this dish.

On the left you can see the semolina, and on the right the various ingredients needed for the couscous.
Though we think of it and cook it as a grain, the semolina flour is actually a type of pasta.
This may be the signature dish of North Africa, but steaming plates of the stew-topped semolina are also served up in West Africa and around the Mediterranean.
Since 1998 the Italian island of Sicily has been the unlikely host of the couscous-making world championship known as couscous fest, which bills itself as a “festival of cultural integration.”

scarface

Look at the photo below.
You can see a healthy breakfast, with a loaf of bread and a cup of coffee.
It can give you ideas for you own breakfast.

scarface

Here, I'm showing another piece of cheese.
Look at the photo below. What you see is certainly the favorite cheese of humbert, aa1234779 and Maher.

This is a Camembert: a moist, soft, creamy, surface-ripened cow's milk cheese. A good camembert must be smelly.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on January 05, 2021, 03:49 PM
Look at the photo below. What you see is certainly the favorite cheese of humbert, aa1234779 and Maher.

Is that French bread? Looks like it.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on January 06, 2021, 04:24 AM
Quote from: scarface on January 05, 2021, 03:49 PM

Is that French bread? Looks like it.
It is a French loaf of bread, indeed.
Note that in French you can say "un pain", but in English you can't say "a bread" but "a piece of bread".

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to show you another recipe.
Look at the photos below.

You have probably spotted the fresh beans. It's a healthy vegetable.
You can also see calorie-rich meat. Vasudev and aa1234779 have probably never seen such a big piece of meat. It is a pork breast. We are not going to use the skillet to cook it, it won't be possible. Instead, let's turn on the oven and allow the pork to rest for 1 hour before removing.

Here you can see the final result.
I'm going to provide clarification for aa1234779 and the users of the forum.
Hopefully, this meat will last though several meals.
The wine must be used only when there is a party. A conference on the forum is a perfect pretext.
As far as this wine is concerned, I was deceived by the word "prestige". This Cahors is rather unremarkable. But it's drinkable, I wouldn't call that a piquette.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present a new recipe.
Look at the photos below.

At the bottom, you can see a fish. It is a red gurnard.
On top of the picture, you can see the shallot sauce being prepared with some butter in the frying pan.
Then in another frying pan, let's cook the fish fillets in olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes, turning them gently with a spatula until they get golden.

Here you can see the fish fillets with curry rice.

Maybe you know that there are few and fewer fish in the ocean. If you have not watched the documentary Blue, here is a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg-tUZG2vsA
If you are buying some fish, you need to be vigilant and choose those that are not endangered species.