• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: humbert on July 17, 2022, 05:40 AMHow long does it take you to prepare this meal?
Actually it was fully-prepared meal, delivered fresh and ready to eat. If I sometimes cook good food, this meal takes a long time to cook indeed (and it was too much for me).
But you are probably not too sophisticated to make such a recipe and I guess you are not afraid of spending several hours cooking. If you want to surprise your guests, here is the recipe of the boeuf bourguignon: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/boeuf_bourguignon_25475

Quote from: humbert on July 17, 2022, 05:40 AMAlso, do you always eat with a glass of wine?
The last time I bought a bottle of wine I took photos and posted them on the forum. So it was on the 31st of May. In fact I rarely drink. You have to note that alcohol can cause weight gain, so you shouldn't drink everyday if you don't want to have a big belly.

scarface

After the question of humbert, I guess that he was thinking (as well as Maher, shadow.97, aa1234779, Guliver...) that the classic meal for me consisted in saucisson and wine (you can see the everyday meal of scarface as imagined by the forum below). I like deli meat such as saucisson, salami or rosette, but it's very fat and I don't eat cold cuts very often. As far as wine is concerned, I'm rather picky, and I prefer to drink some good wine twice a month rather than drinking more regularly.
For example you can see some beaujolais nouveau in the picture below, but I'm not a fan (November 21 is Beaujolais Nouveau Day in France, a time to celebrate new French wine, fresh from the harvest). This wine is fruity, but sometimes it tastes as if it was diluted with water. In fact, I've never been repulsed by this wine, and I don't think we can call that a "piquette" (in French a piquette is a very bad wine which tastes worse than vinegar).
If humbert was to bring a saucisson and a bottle of Beaujolais, adventurers of the forum would be invited to partake of the feast and let the food strengthen them, and I would surely join them even if I had to drink a bad wine. And If beaujolais nouveau might pair well with a saucisson, I guess that Maher or Vasudev would prefer a wine of character with a good cheese, something very fruity with fragrances of red fruit and with soft, velvety tannins.

scarface

Today, I'm going to explain why cheese is called "cheese" and "fromage" in French.

First and foremost, I'm going to show you another specimen.
Look at the cheese below. This soft, creamy, surface-ripened cow's milk cheese is called camembert.
This one is ripe and has a pungent smell, I don't know if Vasudev, Maher or aa1234779 would dare taste it.

In Latin, the cheese was called caseus. From this come for example the Spanish terms queso, Portuguese queijo and most of the terms for cheese in the Germanic languages (Käse, cheese etc.).

The term caseus is generic and roughly designates all the preparations obtained from the curdling of milk. But there is a particular type of cheese, made in a mold (that is to say a form, forma in Latin) which will leave it, quite logically, its shape. This type of cheese will be called "caseus formaticus" in Latin, molded, formed cheese.

From this came a generic term for this type of cheese, "formaticum". It is a form of substantivation of "caseus formaticus", the formed or the molded.

The suffix "-aticum" has regularly given in French the suffix "-age". We therefore found ourselves at a certain time with the term "formage", which incidentally recovers a general meaning to designate all cheeses. The term will penetrate into Italian in the form "formaggio" and will compete with the word cacio (from caseus) which today only designates certain types of cheese.

Finally, the word will undergo a metathesis, ie a permutation of some of its sounds. In this case, it is the r and the o that will change places, to give the french word "fromage".

scarface

Tonight, I will present another recipe in this topic (you can deduce that there is a party on the forum. Some videos will be posted in the topic "best clips", and a new version of windows - windows 10 22h2 x64 - will be available too).

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present a new recipe on the forum.

Look carefully at the photo below.
Humbert and shadow.97 must be wondering if it's a Christmas dinner.
In the previous message, we have seen that Beaujolais nouveau is not the best wine on the market. But I wanted to buy a bottle of Beaujolais. After all, maybe I was mistaken. I will give an analysis of this Beaujolais later.

For those who have watched the movie "the thigh or the wing" (which is available on the forum with English subtitles), Beaujolais nouveau might remind you of this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axAgYk_NSuk
But this one is not so "nouveau", it should be drinkable.

What kind of beast it is? maybe some of you have the answer.
Vasudev and aa1234779 are certainly afraid I may drink the whole bottle, but I'm gonna reassure them, that won't be case, I will put the cork back on it.For those who don't know the rule, you can keep a bottle of red wine at room temperature. However, once opened, you have to store a bottle of white wine in the fridge, or in a room with a low temperature.

For most users of the forum, finding what kind of meat it is was certainly a mere formality. The answer boils down to a simple word: poultry meat.
But is it a rooster? a old hen? No. Actually, what you see here is a cockerel, that's to say a young rooster.

I'm going to give you some advice to cook your own cockerel:
First and foremost, remove your bird from the packaging, pat dry and bring to room temperature (this should take about an hour if it's been in the fridge).  Preheat your oven to 210°C. Soften 100g of butter with the zest of a lemon, a crushed garlic clove, thyme leaves, salt and pepper.
Gently separate the skin from the flesh and push the seasoned butter under the skin, starting at the open cavity.
Then roast the bird for 20 minutes, lower the heat to 160°C and continue roasting for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to rest in a warm place for at least 30 minutes before carving, allowing the meat to rest and remain moist and succulent.

scarface

Note that I revealed the nature of the beast in the previous message. At first glance, it was probably an easy riddle for those who looked at the photos, and yet I'm not sure anyone would have picked the correct answer.

humbert

Are you going to eat the entire chicken (or cockarel) and those green strips (asparagus?) in one sitting or over several days?

How many glasses of wine with the meal?

I drink an occasional beer or glass of wine. With meals skim milk.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on August 10, 2022, 05:13 AMAre you going to eat the entire chicken (or cockarel) and those green strips (asparagus?) in one sitting or over several days?
I got 2 meals out of the cockerel ("un coquelet" in French). There is not as much meat as you may think, since a cockerel is pretty small. This one was weighing around 700 grams.
As for the green strips, they are not asparagus but fresh green beans...

Quote from: humbert on August 10, 2022, 05:13 AMHow many glasses of wine with the meal?
Half the bottle with this meal actually, I kept the rest for later. It's probably too much, I guess Maher and aa1234779 will agree with that. But the cockerel deserved such a sacrifice. In fact this Beaujolais was not very good. The first gulp ended really drying and bitter, but it became softer afterwards. I don't know if you would be able to pass the test of the "saucisson & Beaujolais nouveau meal", it's not as soft as a soda packed with sugar.

Quote from: humbert on August 10, 2022, 05:13 AMI drink an occasional beer or glass of wine. With meals skim milk.
I don't know what meal skim milk is. I guess this is the cheese. In my opinion, ff you want to impress your guests, a nice smelly cheese and a good wine are essential.

Guliver

Quote from: scarface on July 28, 2022, 09:57 PMFor those who have watched the movie "the thigh or the wing" (which is available on the forum with English subtitles), Beaujolais nouveau might remind you of this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axAgYk_NSuk
But this one is not so "nouveau", it should be drinkable.

The Wing or the Thigh is a great movie, I've seen it many times :D But I hope your wine was better than the one in that scene.

humbert

I assume the 700 grams is the entire bird including bones. If so then it makes sense that you'd eat half per sitting.

Skim milk is simply regular cow milk with the fat removed. It tastes watery but I can't stand the greasy tastes of whole milk. Even with 2% milk I can taste the fat.

Guliver: regarding you seeing that movie, may I ask: do you speak French? What languages do you speak other than Czech and English?