Author Topic: Financial news and stock markets.  (Read 79812 times)

December 28, 2020, 10:07 PM
Reply #370
  • Global Moderator
I still dont understand how people would know the prices of items until checkout if it didnt include VAT.

Now it makes sense. I understand why VAT is included in the price. If there are different taxes for different items you'd go absolutely crazy trying to figure out the amount that has to be paid. This is not a problem when it's a flat tax like it is here.

If you are a business VAT is usually not included in price, or you can deduct the VAT. As to my understanding, they are exempt.

That's how it was when I was working. Many companies who bought from us were issued a tax exemption number and paid no tax when buying from us. The reason is that these people resell or export the item. If it were not for the exemption then tax would be paid as many as 10 times over on the same item. Export is exempt because buyers live outside the state and therefore don't use its services, hence no tax.

I dont know. Taxes are a mess.. All I know is that I will probably have a nice tax return the coming two months. Expecting €1000~4000 due to emergency tax when I arrived in ireland (40% salary got taxed by my company) before i got the tax papers sorted.
Taxes are less fun to do in Ireland than in Sweden. I'll probably just hire a tax broker to fix it for me.

The Irish government is returning an emergency tax you were charged?

With respect to doing taxes, here many people can go online and have their taxes done via a web site that does that sort of thing. All you do is input the data and their computer does the rest. I'd guess a similar service is available in Europe. Naturally people who makes lots of money and have plenty of assets usually have to pay a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) to do their taxes. They normally charge by complexity.

January 09, 2021, 12:55 PM
Reply #371
  • Global Moderator
Tonight, I'm going to talk about the Apple stock.
And I'm going to show you what I think is a bubble.

Look at the chart below.

In mid 2018, the Apple stock was trading between 190 and 200$ per share. Since there has been a split, it is the equivalent of 48$ per share. Now the stock is trading at 132$ per share.
aa1234779, humbert and Maher must be thinking that it's because Apple is making large profits and it's probably true. And yet, since 2018, revenues, as well as profits, are stagnating.
In fact, the price earnings ratio has been multiplied by 2.8.

As you can see below, Apple’s stock price appreciated at a much faster growth rate than its underlying free cash flow on a rolling twelve-month, forward-looking basis. The stock price is way ahead of its fundamentals. Apple is just one the many poster children for the manic speculation and excess in today stock market at large. Stocks like Microsoft, Tesla, and Netflix show similar looking disconnect.