• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Bypassing Internet Restrictions

Started by humbert, November 14, 2015, 12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Today I received what appears to be an email from my ISP accusing me of "illegally" downloading a movie (Terminator Genysis) and warning of dire consequences if I keep doing it. This has nothing to do with the NSA, apparently what happened is some drone from the MPAA was in the torrent swarm making a note of IP addresses on that torrent and complaining to the ISP. In fact, I downloaded about 6 movies at that time and got a complaint only about this one, not the others.

I had been complacent because in all the time I've been on the internet I've never had a problem of this sort. It's time to come up with an alternate plan in case the situation persists. For now all I've done is go to Qbittorrent's settings and enabled encryption (t was disabled). The docs say this should provide some degree of anonymity. I re-downloaded the same movie and another one with this setting and no complaints so far. Still, I do need to be ready in case this fails.

This must be a paid VPN, free ones that allow torrents are swamped with people and probably slow as hell. Torguard looks good on its web page but there's got to be many more out there.

Any ideas?

scarface

To humbert: I got a friend near Lyon (he's a packer in a supermarket, he's courageous), who received an email from the hadopi warning him to stop downloading movies... The hadopi disconnects users after three allegations of infringement.
It's probably the same thing in the US.
Well, you have several ways to avoid them:
-you stop downloading altogether.
-you can do like me if you are tired of downloading movies: only 1 or 2 per month...
-you can buy or rent your movies, you can also use streaming.
-if the first 3 proposals are not a solution for you, then you can try to use p2p with only one peer, via dc++ for example, on a closed network. A long time ago I gave the address of a hub on the forum, there were only 2 users...I and shadow97. Well, I remember that he only downloaded one movie, and I wasn't interested in anything in his share. Finally I closed the hub.

During christman, I'll be back in Paris, currently I'm not over there for professional reasons, and I'm connected via a slow hotspot. At least I'll be there if there is no shooting everyday. If you or Maher are spending your vacations there, you can call me, I'll be alone with my foie gras. If you are interested, I can show you my share, most of my movies are in English, and many were ripped by myself, but I don't have many "blockbusters", the only movie with Arnold that I have is terminator2...
As for the speed, shadow downloaded a movie of 2gb in 2 minutes, it should be ok for you.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on November 14, 2015, 01:31 AM
-you stop downloading altogether.
-you can do like me if you are tired of downloading movies: only 1 or 2 per month...
-you can buy or rent your movies, you can also use streaming.

Not viable options. To bow to the profiteering gluttons is like surrendering to ISIL. The struggle against this abuse of privacy must continue.

-if the first 3 proposals are not a solution for you, then you can try to use p2p with only one peer, via dc++ for example, on a closed network. A long time ago I gave the address of a hub on the forum, there were only 2 users...I and shadow97. Well, I remember that he only downloaded one movie, and I wasn't interested in anything in his share. Finally I closed the hub.

I'm a total newbie at this, so please explain how to use this method. Keep in mind my problem for now is only with torrents. As you know, Qbittorrent supports proxy servers and IP filtering. If you're using µTorrent you'll notice the configuration page for this is not too different from Qbittorrent.

During christman, I'll be back in Paris, currently I'm not over there for professional reasons, and I'm connected via a slow hotspot. At least I'll be there if there is no shooting everyday.

What city are you in right now? Also, I think your chances of surviving another act of terrorism is pretty high, assuming it happens at all.

Shadow.97

I gave Mullvad in a PM, there's also free alternatives that are much slower. Sadly. I've been using this previously a few years ago. It was like 8mbit, but unstable with high response time http://www.vpnbook.com/

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on November 14, 2015, 08:47 PM
I gave Mullvad in a PM, there's also free alternatives that are much slower. Sadly. I've been using this previously a few years ago. It was like 8mbit, but unstable with high response time http://www.vpnbook.com/

I wouldn't bother with free VPN's at all. They unreliable as you said. Also, the price of a paid VPN isn't that much anyway. A few USD a month will not break me.

Vasudev

@Shadow97: When did you buy MSI/Dell/Asus gaming Laptop equipped with skylake processors?

Shadow.97

Quote from: Vasudev on November 15, 2015, 07:25 PM
@Shadow97: When did you buy MSI/Dell/Asus gaming Laptop equipped with skylake processors?
About 2 weeks ago. Sold my tower pc and I'm planning to use this for abroad studies.
It's a Dell pc btw :) Alienware. Overpriced but when I ordered it it was the only laptop that had 6'th gen cpu with 980m at a 15' screen. Biggest disappointment is that it didnt have a displayport.

Also humbert, if Mullvad stops working, I can provide another one that is tunneled directly to sweden with PPTP. :)

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on November 15, 2015, 08:51 PM
About 2 weeks ago. Sold my tower pc and I'm planning to use this for abroad studies.
It's a Dell pc btw :) Alienware. Overpriced but when I ordered it it was the only laptop that had 6'th gen cpu with 980m at a 15' screen. Biggest disappointment is that it didnt have a displayport.

This is some laptop! Do you play games with it? Must be awkward as hell playing on a laptop.

Also humbert, if Mullvad stops working, I can provide another one that is tunneled directly to sweden with PPTP. :)

That's awesome! Let me ask - I'm not too clear as to why it should be tunneled directly so Sweden. Don't these guys have servers everywhere?

Vasudev

How did NV cool down a full 980 maxwell core into mobile? Does it use liquid cooling? Why didn't you try SB or SP4.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on November 16, 2015, 03:07 AM

This is some laptop! Do you play games with it? Must be awkward as hell playing on a laptop.

That's awesome! Let me ask - I'm not too clear as to why it should be tunneled directly so Sweden. Don't these guys have servers everywhere?

Yes. But let's say I obtained the internets VPN illegally.

Quote from: Vasudev on November 16, 2015, 02:44 PM
How did NV cool down a full 980 maxwell core into mobile? Does it use liquid cooling? Why didn't you try SB or SP4.

I don't know what SB or SP4 is :P Actually. The computer is like a leafblower. I have a cooling pad I place it on to keep it cool while home. But it isn't actually that hot during load anyway. 65~70C during max load.