• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harkaz

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Rebase is a command-line tool I created in 2016 to facilitate component store cleanup after installation of Windows 7 updates. This will minimize the size of your Windows 7 deployment images and free up disk space on your Windows 7 systems.

Any requests for custom support will be ignored.

Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7k-l_4omFECWE5DSklyWTBVVDA
    Version: 1.1.30.1

Password: scarface

WARNING: REBASE MUST BE USED TO CLEAN UP ONLY WINDOWS 7 SYSTEMS OR INSTALLATION IMAGES!
    FOR MAXIMUM RELIABILITY, THE CONVENIENCE UPDATE ROLLUP (KB3125574) MUST BE APPLIED TO THE TARGET SYSTEM, BEFORE USING THIS TOOL!

Documentation is a bit outdated; use the included program PowerRun instead of the referenced one (RunAsTI) to launch an elevated command prompt on all systems (including Windows 10)

harkaz

Removed.

scarface

I tested the iso in a vm. It's very good. It's a good tool that harkaz has done, I hope some users will buy it on the forum. More than 2gb have been deleted from the winsxs folder I had trimmed down. Maybe Microsoft would be interested in this tool. With a normal iso, the install of windows takes up roughly 14gb. This one only takes up 8gb. For a big hdd, it's not significant, but on a ssd of 100 or 200gb, it's a difference.

Vasudev

@Harkaz: Is it your project? Does it corrupt any windows store components specifically those files needed during SFC and DISM. For me(sister's lappie) dism /resetbase always corrupted msi installer and even checked on my friend's lap, same problem persists. Only workaround, is to register msiserver in safe mode everytime before using any installer using MSI technology. That's why i upgraded it to 10 and the same problem again occurred, re-registered msi and now everything works w/o any problems.

harkaz

Yes, it is my project.

Haven't noticed any problems with MSI at all (I've installed MSI apps after using my tool, like ntLite).

SFC /SCANNOW and CHECKSUR are ok, as you can see in the release trailer.

@scarface I'll send you a PM later to give you the necessary details.

Vasudev

@scarface: MS already has the code/solution to ever-growing SxS and its likely that MS wants 8.x share instead of people opting for w7. Pricing is OK for your hard work. I'll let you know if somebody's interested on other forums and I can post a link to this thread, if its okay with you. An additional step to reduce WinSxS and also package cache is to compress them. In WinSxS, the backup folder can be compressed w/o any performance hit. Similarly C:/ProgramData/Package Cache folder can be compressed too.

harkaz

Thanks for your support, Vasudev. Much appreciated.

Yes, you could compress these folders with NTFS compression. The Sessions folder in \windows\servicing\ could be compressed as well (resetbase does this in Windows 8.1+ actually).

harkaz

Documentation slightly updated to clarify syntax for offline image usage.

Time to break a series of spams in here.

Vasudev

I've posted a thread with limited intro's @MalwareTips. Here is thelink

scarface

I sent the money to harkaz for his software.