• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: humbert on September 09, 2018, 07:12 AM
I ran Scarface's copy of W10 1803 under Virtual Box and it's the Education version, not the Pro version which is what I have.
I didn't even noticed that I was running the education version instead of the Pro. I'm pretty sure that I chose the Pro when I installed it in vmware, before making a copy of the system.

Next time, I'll try to choose the Pro version. In the meantime, maybe you should make a new install with my copy, instead of an upgrade.
And if you have a lot of programs, don't forget that you can put them in the oem folder and add a line in the install.bat to install them automatically (I put some examples in a previous message, see August 19).

Oddly enough, note that the education version seems to be better than the others:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/whats-the-difference-between-windows-10-education/f05e202f-815a-47dc-a641-e3a85e974a0b?auth=1

Vasudev

@humbert: v1803 is not good. Please make a backup before proceeding. Let me know when you're free.
I found out yesterday that BIOS update can be done through Windows Update. Its a bit risky  though!

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on September 09, 2018, 12:39 PM
@humbert: v1803 is not good. Please make a backup before proceeding. Let me know when you're free.
I found out yesterday that BIOS update can be done through Windows Update. Its a bit risky  though!

I agree that v1803 is buggy and frankly I don't really need it. The problem is Windows Updates is incessant and will forcibly try to install it no matter how many times the installation fails. This forces me to shut down updates entirely. It goes without saying this is not something I like to do since most of these updates are security related.

I upgraded the BIOS using the latest firmware from Asus' web site  (dated 28/4/2018) but frankly I haven't had the time to attempt another upgrade. There is no question I'll perform a full backup before proceeding. If this fails then I'll need your help to see if we can forcibly perform the upgrade.

I goes without saying a clean install of 1803 will be a last resort. Reinstalling and reconfiguring everything from scratch is detestable.

BTW, did you say you had a copy of W10 Pro available for download somewhere. Scarface's copy is Education, I refer Pro. This not to mention that I don't think it's possible to upgrade 1709 Pro to 1803 Education.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on September 11, 2018, 07:09 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on September 09, 2018, 12:39 PM

I agree that v1803 is buggy and frankly I don't really need it. The problem is Windows Updates is incessant and will forcibly try to install it no matter how many times the installation fails. This forces me to shut down updates entirely. It goes without saying this is not something I like to do since most of these updates are security related.

I upgraded the BIOS using the latest firmware from Asus' web site  (dated 28/4/2018) but frankly I haven't had the time to attempt another upgrade. There is no question I'll perform a full backup before proceeding. If this fails then I'll need your help to see if we can forcibly perform the upgrade.

I goes without saying a clean install of 1803 will be a last resort. Reinstalling and reconfiguring everything from scratch is detestable.

BTW, did you say you had a copy of W10 Pro available for download somewhere. Scarface's copy is Education, I refer Pro. This not to mention that I don't think it's possible to upgrade 1709 Pro to 1803 Education.
I will PM you the link because google web crawlers will take it down. Its a multi-edition containing Home,Pro and their N versions.
If you like W7 you can try scarface's ISO which sails through NVMe and is better than W10 minus Dx12 and forced upgrades. Unfortunately, my skylake PC doesn't have some drivers for W7 is what keeping me on W10. Few years from now, I'll move to Steam/Wine DxV workarounds for running directx games in Vulkan. Its a old version with 191 update integrated.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on September 11, 2018, 02:01 PM
I will PM you the link because google web crawlers will take it down. Its a multi-edition containing Home,Pro and their N versions.

I asked you about this in PM before I had a chance to read this.

Quote from: Vasudev on September 11, 2018, 02:01 PM
If you like W7 you can try scarface's ISO which sails through NVMe and is better than W10 minus Dx12 and forced upgrades.

Of course! Windows 7 is less bloated and developed in the days when PC's weren't as fast as today's. Sadly Windows 10 is the future and, sooner or later, we'll all have to upgrade.  :(

humbert

Regarding my attempted upgrade to Windows 10 1803, I got it to install. Unfortunely the joy was short lived. When rebooting all it did was give me the BSOD with that annoying stopcode BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO. I had to restore a backup but I changed another setting. In Windows Updated -> Advanced options I changed the setting from Semi-Annual Channel (Preferred) to simply Semi-Annual Channel. That means the updates won't come down the pipe until they're ready for widespread use in organizations. After that with Automatic Updates enabled, it hasn't pestered me any more with a forced 1803 install and my system is running great. Hopefully I'll install it when all these bugs have finally been fixed. I can certainly live without it.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on September 26, 2018, 07:32 AM
Regarding my attempted upgrade to Windows 10 1803, I got it to install. Unfortunely the joy was short lived. When rebooting all it did was give me the BSOD with that annoying stopcode BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO. I had to restore a backup but I changed another setting. In Windows Updated -> Advanced options I changed the setting from Semi-Annual Channel (Preferred) to simply Semi-Annual Channel. That means the updates won't come down the pipe until they're ready for widespread use in organizations. After that with Automatic Updates enabled, it hasn't pestered me any more with a forced 1803 install and my system is running great. Hopefully I'll install it when all these bugs have finally been fixed. I can certainly live without it.
That option has been deprecated and even Business users get 2 upgrades every year instead of one every year.
So something in your PC has been blacklisted to prevent upgrade to v1803.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on September 26, 2018, 10:41 AM
That option has been deprecated and even Business users get 2 upgrades every year instead of one every year.

I disagree. I managed to get 1803 installed and working on 2 occasions. First it was from an ISO. The only problem is that it turned out not to be an upgrade, meaning and I had to reinstall and reconfigure the whole thing from scratch. Since I don't have the time nor the patience for this, I just restored from a backup. The second time the update did install and worked,  but when I rebooted I got the BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO error. I made the mistake of not running sfc /scannow and expecially chkdsk /f. It's been my experience that chkdsk /f kills this error completely. With me it's never failed. You just gotta remember to do it before rebooting, and I forgot  :(

I might add that I don't even want 1803. The problem is M$ keeps pushing and pushing the update again and again, making no attempt to fix the problem. The is why I configured Windows update for Semi-Annual Channel only (not preferred). Give me the update when they've squashed all the bugs. As of now Windows Update remains on and this buggy update is no longer being pushed.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on September 30, 2018, 06:50 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on September 26, 2018, 10:41 AM

I disagree. I managed to get 1803 installed and working on 2 occasions. First it was from an ISO. The only problem is that it turned out not to be an upgrade, meaning and I had to reinstall and reconfigure the whole thing from scratch. Since I don't have the time nor the patience for this, I just restored from a backup. The second time the update did install and worked,  but when I rebooted I got the BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO error. I made the mistake of not running sfc /scannow and expecially chkdsk /f. It's been my experience that chkdsk /f kills this error completely. With me it's never failed. You just gotta remember to do it before rebooting, and I forgot  :(

I might add that I don't even want 1803. The problem is M$ keeps pushing and pushing the update again and again, making no attempt to fix the problem. The is why I configured Windows update for Semi-Annual Channel only (not preferred). Give me the update when they've squashed all the bugs. As of now Windows Update remains on and this buggy update is no longer being pushed.
You can block windows update permanently using wumt wrapper. I use portable version and wub does work.
Try Redstone 5 insider release made by a member without bloatware. I didn't try it since I'm skipping Redstones for as long as I can!

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on September 30, 2018, 09:25 AM
You can block windows update permanently using wumt wrapper. I use portable version and wub does work.
Try Redstone 5 insider release made by a member without bloatware. I didn't try it since I'm skipping Redstones for as long as I can!

My favorite W10 update blocker is Windows Update Blocker from Sordum. Check it out here. It even has a feature preventing Windows from changing your settings on any other service. But when you come to think of it, using this isn't really necessary. Take a look at this article. This is pretty much what I've done. As I see it, MS should give me updates only when they've been thoroughly tested and all the bugs have been squashed. Remember that updates are a fact of life. You can delay them but not eliminate them entirely.