• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on January 23, 2020, 12:16 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on January 22, 2020, 06:59 PM
Didn't know you got 9750h based laptop. 6700hq is becoming dated and feels ancient after applying new BIOS patches.
I didn't. I said a computer with a i7 9750h (instead of a i7 6700hq), and a recent card (GTX 1660 Ti instead of GTX 960) is  more expensive than my computer bought 5 years ago.
In fact, for the same price, I would get a i7 8750h and a nvidia gtx 1060 (a msi shipped with freedos...)
Here it's 50-60% more expensive than my current laptop (~2500-3000USD + Taxes/VAT).

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on January 26, 2020, 09:10 AM
Here it's 50-60% more expensive than my current laptop (~2500-3000USD + Taxes/VAT).
The computer I'd want to buy costs 1400â,¬. Since my computer is still working, I'm just waiting. For 1000â,¬, I have practically the same machine (i7 8750h vs i7 6700hq and 1060 GTX instead of 960 GTX). I don't know what you currently have, but for 2200â,¬, you can get a good computer here (for example, an Alienware M17 R2 17.3" with i7 9750h, 16 Go RAM, 1 To SSD, RTX 2050...).
Actually, I don't need this since I wouldn't know what to do with an internal 1 TO SSD (I use a small internal SSD on mine, plus an external 1TO SSD for storage), and a GTX 1660 would be enough.
For the moment, computers with a i7 9750h are sill too expensive.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on January 26, 2020, 04:58 PM
The computer I'd want to buy costs 1400â,¬. Since my computer is still working, I'm just waiting. For 1000â,¬, I have practically the same machine (i7 8750h vs i7 6700hq and 1060 GTX instead of 960 GTX). I don't know what you currently have, but for 2200â,¬, you can get a good computer here (for example, an Alienware M17 R2 17.3" with i7 9750h, 16 Go RAM, 1 To SSD, RTX 2050...).

For the equivalent of $2200â,¬ you can probably get a Core i9 with all the trimmings, or a 16-core AMD Threadripper. So far my i7-4790K and GTX-970 do the job quite well, even with Diablo III (the game I usually play). If I were a hard core gamer I'd look into something a little better than what I have. It's not that I don't like games, it's mostly the learning curve and lack of time. I've been playing Diablo since it first came out back in the 1990's.

With respect to SSD's, always go for the largest size even if you don't use all the space. Remeber how they work and their limited number of read-write cycles. More space = more read-writes.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on January 28, 2020, 06:39 AM
For the equivalent of $2200â,¬ you can probably get a Core i9 with all the trimmings, or a 16-core AMD Threadripper. So far my i7-4790K and GTX-970 do the job quite well, even with Diablo III (the game I usually play). If I were a hard core gamer I'd look into something a little better than what I have. It's not that I don't like games, it's mostly the learning curve and lack of time. I've been playing Diablo since it first came out back in the 1990's.

With respect to SSD's, always go for the largest size even if you don't use all the space. Remeber how they work and their limited number of read-write cycles. More space = more read-writes.
This is the cheapest computer equipped with a intel i9 I found (2800â,¬): https://www.fnac.com/PC-Portable-Dell-Alienware-Area-51m-17-3-Intel-Core-i9-16-Go-RAM-1-To-SATA-512-Go-SSD/a13424400/w-4
It's twice as expensive as a computer with a i7 9750h. I don't need this anyway. I'm like you, with a gtx960, I can already do what I want. I don't play games a lot though. I tried Dishonored 2 with the best settings, it works. I don't know Diablo but it looks a bit old indeed.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on January 28, 2020, 10:50 PM
This is the cheapest computer equipped with a intel i9 I found (2800â,¬)

Here for the equivalent of $2800â,¬ you could probably get a quantum computer. :)

I don't know Diablo but it looks a bit old indeed.

Actually it's not. The game was initially released in 2012 and is constantly being upgraded constantly. It was upgraded to 64 bit about 2 years ago. The last major upgrade was $20 for those who already have the game. You must be online and connected to Blizzard's servers even if you're playing by yourself. It it VERY graphics intensive, there are explosions, fires, smoke and debris flying around, and all this in 4K.

Vasudev

For the equivalent of $ you can probably get a Core i9 with all the trimmings, or a 16-core AMD Threadripper. So far my i7-4790K and GTX-970 do the job quite well, even with Diablo III (the game I usually play). If I were a hard core gamer I'd look into something a little better than what I have. It's not that I don't like games, it's mostly the learning curve and lack of time. I've been playing Diablo since it first came out back in the 1990's.

This is the cheapest computer equipped with a intel i9 I found (): https://www.fnac.com/PC-Portable-Dell-Alienware-Area-51m-17-3-Intel-Core-i9-16-Go-RAM-1-To-SATA-512-Go-SSD/a13424400/w-4
It's twice as expensive as a computer with a i7 9750h. I don't need this anyway. I'm like you, with a gtx960, I can already do what I want. I don't play games a lot though. I tried Dishonored 2 with the best settings, it works. I don't know Diablo but it looks a bit old indeed.
Never buy AW junk ever!!! They messed with firmware and limited all possible overclocks and performance. Its thanks to Prema my AW can run at max speed w/o firmware pulling the performance of CPU to 800MHz and GPU to be 650MHz during heavy loads.

Shadow.97

Quote from: Vasudev on February 03, 2020, 07:32 PM
For the equivalent of $ you can probably get a Core i9 with all the trimmings, or a 16-core AMD Threadripper. So far my i7-4790K and GTX-970 do the job quite well, even with Diablo III (the game I usually play). If I were a hard core gamer I'd look into something a little better than what I have. It's not that I don't like games, it's mostly the learning curve and lack of time. I've been playing Diablo since it first came out back in the 1990's.

This is the cheapest computer equipped with a intel i9 I found (): https://www.fnac.com/PC-Portable-Dell-Alienware-Area-51m-17-3-Intel-Core-i9-16-Go-RAM-1-To-SATA-512-Go-SSD/a13424400/w-4
Never buy AW junk ever!!! They messed with firmware and limited all possible overclocks and performance. Its thanks to Prema my AW can run at max speed w/o firmware pulling the performance of CPU to 800MHz and GPU to be 650MHz during heavy loads.

Uh.. You should check the internal powercable.
Those are the EXACT symptoms i had when it had melted internally.
I ended up getting a full refund for it.

humbert

I can understand your frustration at not being allowed to overclock or do anything else you like. Why I'm wondering is, why overclock at all? You need to invest in a better CPU cooler (or should), plus there is a greater tendency for instability. Do you really notice speed increases in real life or only on benchmark tests?

scarface

Note that a new windows 10 x64 will be released next week.
The latest version is still available here: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3350.msg34988#msg34988

abbodi1406's vcredist 0.27, mediacoder 0.8.60 and new programs (LameXP, Belatout, Ant renamer, Wise duplicate finder, Remove empty directories, Easus partition master) will be included in this new version. Besides Lamexp, all are Nsis repacks because the original installers can't be installed silently.
Some new drivers might be available too. The latest version was good. This one will be a game-changer.

The repack of Easeus Partition Master is available here for those who need it: https://ufile.io/5egefztr
The installer is very simple, no possibility to choose the install path, but its purpose is to be installed silently (/S). You can test it and tell me if it works (it should work flawlessly). The installer is smaller than the original. Only English available. Full version. This tool might be better than the windows tool to resize or merge partition. There is no uninstaller, nor registry entry written. To uninstall this, delete the folder in %systemdrive%/programs.

Some have been talking about it on the forum Notebookreview, wondering if this version is legit because it's activated.
Well it's clearly not as it is. But you can still remove the -clean- and switchless activator if you don't want an activated version, or if you want to pay Microsoft then.
This forum is too big but I went there a few times though. And Vasudev seems to be very prolix other there.
Likewise, some were wondering if the xp versions of Maher were legit on other forums...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKK5hvHcF0U

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on February 05, 2020, 05:33 AM

I can understand your frustration at not being allowed to overclock or do anything else you like. Why I'm wondering is, why overclock at all? You need to invest in a better CPU cooler (or should), plus there is a greater tendency for instability. Do you really notice speed increases in real life or only on benchmark tests?
I got 2080 ti + 1700x, at default it does not boost above 3.4ghz during my workloads, in games like BF5 I do get chopped performance because of my cpu, putting it at 3.85 lessens the low dips quite substantially.
However it's slightly unstable, 3.75 is very easy to achieve on my chip.
I almost always recommend getting a proper cooler if you want a silent pc that doesnt rev up during games and such. Especially annoying in VR.

Overclocking is also a fun hobby. Had a blast with 3570k and its watercooling. In all honesty, that chip overclocked ran vr games better than my current 1700x.

However, I can really only recommend overclocking new parts if you are at the absolute peak currently.
Like at the time i bought my chip there was not really any other cpu that was better for consumers, unless you wanted something like 7980xe, and we all know the prices of those alongside motherboards.
New parts nowdays usually have overclocking features that are better than what you can achieve by hand.(Unless you know exactly what you're doing, like which subtimings for ram do more difference than others)

My friend bought a system with B450+AMD 3600. I cant recommend him to overclock, just because the out of box self-overclock is good enough. Especially if you lower the vcore offset by -30mV until it gets unstable, then increase it by +15mV. Then increase current capability to 130%, if on Intel increase extended boost capability as well.
This will decrease temps slightly, and will allow it to boost even more than stock.

My plan with my current system is to retire it and replace my server and slap esxi on it and use it for virtualization. My current server does see choking when hosting games, doing backups, and having VM's for other services.
I should invest some time learning docker, but havnt had the willpower for it.
My old server isnt really bad in itself as long as i adapt myself to it, it's just very limited in expandability in terms of storage/pcie/powersupply as everything is proprietary.