• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

To Vasudev: I'm already making a light repack...

humbert

QuoteNote that I have been arrested by the confinement police, I was driving my car. Since I had no attestation, they gave me a fine.

Back briefly to the "pandemic" garbage, don't feel like starting a new topic.

Believe it or not, I'm watching a LIVE football game on TV as we speak. The Costa Rican football association did a wise thing -- they've reopened for business, TV coverage only. There is not a soul in the stands. Wouldn't it be nice if all sports leagues did the same thing? It's certainly better than the current full stop on all competition, and they would slowly get ready to fully reopen once all this nonsense ends. You can't go from a full stop to full competition in a single day.

Christopher

Thanks for this new update. I've been using the Maher Win 7 Ultimate June 2014 release, never could get the Roll-up to work. Need to do a new clean install,  looks like this should work for me.

Are there any pointers here to getting a USB boot install for this ISO on an ASUS board? I have a Z270 based board, and tried using Rufus with the recommended settings but can't get a stick to boot.

Also, how can I get a donation to you for your work on this ISO?

Thanks !

scarface

Quote from: Christopher on June 23, 2020, 09:26 PM
Thanks for this new update. I've been using the Maher Win 7 Ultimate June 2014 release, never could get the Roll-up to work. Need to do a new clean install,  looks like this should work for me.

Are there any pointers here to getting a USB boot install for this ISO on an ASUS board? I have a Z270 based board, and tried using Rufus with the recommended settings but can't get a stick to boot.

Also, how can I get a donation to you for your work on this ISO?

Thanks !
Well, sometimes it is not easy to install new updates on windows 7 indeed. You must be talking about the convenient update. To install every update, I used to start from scratch too.

As for a windows 7 usb bootable key, I'm sure you can do it with the windows 7 usb dvd download tool. It works for windows 10 too, available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485
Of course, you have to go to the Bios so that you can boot from USB. Usually you have a boot menu which looks like this: https://i.ibb.co/kX1z62p/boot.jpg

As for a donation, I don't need anything. Instead, I advise you to contact humbert, (you can send him some banknotes if you have his address) or try to contact Maher directly...
However, I don't have your avatar yet, and it seems we have a vacancy. You can send me a link if you have a picture to put among them: https://i.ibb.co/4RKKVFb/avatars.jpg

scarface

Note that new Switchless Nvidia drivers are available here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3350.msg35536#msg35536

The next version of windows 10 is delayed for the moment. Maybe there will be something by the end of the week.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on July 10, 2020, 12:46 AM
Note that the latest switchless repack of the Nvidia driver, relased today, is available for windows 10 x64 here:

What if you don't have an Nvidia video card?

Quote from: scarface on July 10, 2020, 12:46 AM
Abodi's vcredist v0.33 will be part of this new release. The current version includes Partition Master 13.8, which could be updated to 14.0 in the new release. New drivers were already included in the latest version even if I didn't give details about it. But the new edition might come with updated drivers too. Some programs were updated: vlc, handbrake, Firefox, belatout, subtitle edit, ultraiso...

Why do you inflate your releases with so much bloat? You're starting to look like Micro$haft. Whenever I run one of your releases on Virtualbox, I have to spend plenty of time simply removing unwanted garbage. Do people request all this or what?

Doesn't it make more sense to put out a squeaky-clean release without all the Micro$haft bloat and let each user install only what they use?

scarface

Quote from: humbert on July 11, 2020, 05:42 AM
What if you don't have an Nvidia video card?
Then don't use it. It's not included in the windows 10 iso anyway, even if it works if placed in the $OEM$ folder.

Quote from: humbert on July 11, 2020, 05:42 AM
Why do you inflate your releases with so much bloat? You're starting to look like Micro$haft. Whenever I run one of your releases on Virtualbox, I have to spend plenty of time simply removing unwanted garbage. Do people request all this or what?

Doesn't it make more sense to put out a squeaky-clean release without all the Micro$haft bloat and let each user install only what they use?
Visual C++ Redistributable Packages are not" garbage": they are needed for many programs (and many games). These packages are included in the image of windows 10, and you won't be able to remove them unless you modify the image yourself. Since this version of Windows 10 contains all the VC redist packages and Directx 9, most games are working straight away.
For the rest, most programs are installed via the $OEM$ folder, if you use ultraiso (included too), you just need to delete the $OEM$ folder in order to remove most of what you call "garbage" during the installation.
If you tell me what apps you are using, if you are using any, I might be able to send you a custom-made $OEM$ folder.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on July 12, 2020, 06:36 PM
Visual C++ Redistributable Packages are not" garbage": they are needed for many programs (and many games). These packages are included in the image of windows 10, and you won't be able to remove them unless you modify the image yourself. Since this version of Windows 10 contains all the VC redist packages and Directx 9, most games are working straight away.

I don't count dependencies as garbage. There is nothing wrong with adding packages that other programs need in order to function properly.

Quote from: scarface on July 12, 2020, 06:36 PM
For the rest, most programs are installed via the $OEM$ folder, if you use ultraiso (included too), you just need to delete the $OEM$ folder in order to remove most of what you call "garbage" during the installation.

You're saying all the extra stuff you add can be removed by simply deleting the $OEM$ folder? Will doing so also delete other programs the OS needs to function properly?

scarface

Quote from: humbert on July 13, 2020, 05:55 AM
You're saying all the extra stuff you add can be removed by simply deleting the $OEM$ folder?
Indeed. (378 mb in the latest version).
Quote from: humbert on July 13, 2020, 05:55 AM
Will doing so also delete other programs the OS needs to function properly?
No. But maybe you should check the content before removing everything. If you are modifying the content of the folder, you need to modify install.bat too.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on July 19, 2020, 07:44 PM
Note that a new version of windows 7 is available in the previous message, the missing update was added (Net framework July 20). It is also 150 mb smaller.
Few weeks back, I used Simplix to update Win 7 and it only boots in Legacy mode.
I have switched from AiOBoot to ventoy. It seems 7Updater package uses WinPE cmd or something so I think it'll break UEFI.