• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 17, 2020, 06:58 PM
Yeah. You can do this if you're sure vbox driver  is the culprit.Otherwise not needed.

Honestly I have no idea. Windows update won't let the 20H2 installation continue because "VirtualBox won't run on Windows 10". It was you who suggested the Vbox network driver was the culprit. Have you tested this upgrade on a computer that was running Virtualbox and did this method work?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 18, 2020, 05:48 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on December 17, 2020, 06:58 PM
Yeah. You can do this if you're sure vbox driver  is the culprit.Otherwise not needed.

Honestly I have no idea. Windows update won't let the 20H2 installation continue because "VirtualBox won't run on Windows 10". It was you who suggested the Vbox network driver was the culprit. Have you tested this upgrade on a computer that was running Virtualbox and did this method work?
Yeah I do have Vbox installed on v1809 and then upgraded to 1909 w/o any apps/drivers removed or reset.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 25, 2020, 04:50 PM
Yeah I do have Vbox installed on v1809 and then upgraded to 1909 w/o any apps/drivers removed or reset.

Pardon me asking again but I want to be sure.

Let me see if I have my facts straight. In the process of upgrading from 1809 to 1909, the upgrade initially failed because it kept insisting Vbox won't work on W10. You uninstalled the Virtualbox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter in Device Manager and tried the upgrade again - this time it worked. After the upgrade was complete you went to c:\VirtualBox\drivers\network\netadp6\VBoxNetAdp6.inf and right-clicked on the inf to reinstall the network driver. Is all this correct?

I should mention I'd be upgrading from 1909 to 20H2, but I'm assuming the issue is the same. Let me know.

scarface

Today, windows 7 x64 Professional SP1 Tunisia edition with every update till November 2021 is available. It's a full version
no drivers were integrated.

Windows defender and UAC are disabled by default.

Link: Windows 7
Size: 3.40 Gb

Rebase 1.3 for windows 7x64 with its tutorial by harkaz.
An essential program to slim down Windows 7.
Link: https://mega.nz/#!EUEQFQja!Zc1idDsCZXVzHuYHGpthefz_o82bMOgn7OdisvNsK_A

Note that you can still download xp here (an updated, lite version of Maher’s edition which includes every update):
kb4012598 and wmp11 with its updates have been integrated. What’s more, some visual tweaks were applied as you can see on the screenshot below.
Finally, a few unneeded elements were removed (the list is available in the nlite log in the iso file).
Link: https://mega.nz/#!8NUmVCaQ!PzrY8hsTD5XRV8OoNaczvqxIqr_eOOxhHN8_obmbeqM

Here is office 2007 with all the updates, till August 2018 (it’s a switch-less installer).
https://mega.nz/file/wU1WCLya#iH1BYgcHOnL5c_FPkQCFtf1LNlai980AUXkDoqZhoYM

scarface

Note that a new windows 10 is available in the previous message.
changelog:
- Vlc was updated
- the game bel atout was updated
- vc redist was updated
- flashplayer was removed
- some update leftovers were removed (it is 200 mb smaller).
I guess it is a perfect update for humbert who uses windows 10.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on January 25, 2021, 04:40 PM
Note that a new windows 10 is available in the previous message.
- Vlc was updated

I don't use VLC because it's got 3 major annoyances:
1. There is no VLC on top only while playing. It's either on top all the time or not at all. Just about all other video players do have this feature.
2. When playing a video VLC will not put itself in the center of the screen and expand from there. If you play videos of different resolutions VLC is all over the screen and must be centered manually.
3. Developers have been informed of the following problems and refuse to do anything about it. They're more interested in adding bloat and more bloat.

I prefer MPC-HC. The original was retired, but other developers have taken it up and are always updating it. YOu can find it at Github. It's much less bloated and doesn't have the annoyances I mentioned. It now supports srt subtitle files.

Quote from: scarface on January 25, 2021, 04:40 PM
I guess it is a perfect update for humbert who uses windows 10.

If there were some way to install it over 1909 (my current version) I'd immediately upgrade. Every attempt I've made has ended in failure. Now it's complaining about Virtualbox, but if Virtualbox weren't there it'll fail for some other reason. Micro$haft is notorious for constant upgrade failures. I think they want us to erase everything on Drive C and install from scratch.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on January 26, 2021, 04:57 AM
I don't use VLC because it's got 3 major annoyances:
1. There is no VLC on top only while playing. It's either on top all the time or not at all. Just about all other video players do have this feature.

Actually, it seems this option exists in vlc but it is disabled by default.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on January 27, 2021, 04:11 AM
Actually, it seems this option exists in vlc but it is disabled by default.

Notice that I wrote "only while playing" in bold type. VLC's settings are "Always On Top". Always means always. Therein lies the problem. In order to go to your file manager to select your video, first you have to either minimize VLC or remove "Always On Top". With MPC-HC and others you can set to be on top only when it plays and not when it isn't. And of course VLC won't center itself when your next video has a different resolution. You have to center it manually with your mouse.

I guess what bothers me most is that the developers have no interest in addressing these issues, especially when VLC is supposedly the best video player out there.

scarface

Note that the next version of windows will only contain MPC-BE following the recommendations of humbert. Vlc will not be available any more.
Maybe it will be directly integrated or installed via a custom-made installer.

scarface

To humbert:
Well, I tested MPC and I'm less willing to ditch VLC now. VLC has a powerful and simple interface, and supports almost all formats. For example, I tested a custom made installer of mpc, and I had a directx 9 error under Vmware (and yet direct 9 was installed).
Note that I'd want to try to add the feature you requested by adding c++ codes in VLC, but I've not been able to compile it under windows. I've got basic understanding of c++ programming under Visual Studio. Apparently VLC is designed to be compiled under Linux. Since the source code is available for MPC, there is nothing to write, it could be pretty simple to export this feature. Maybe I could submit it to the Vlc team if I make it? If I can make a new exe, modifying the installer would be a mere formality too. I'm going to check if I can compile it under Linux then.

Note that I changed my avatar. It's a street art tag in St Etienne. It's pretty lousy as an avatar I guess. The original image is here: https://i.ibb.co/mz9wBBf/chateaucreux.jpg
You can see it here, near the train station Chateaucreux:
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4431255,4.3971034,3a,75y,152.74h,87.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMnZ3AI_NSI-YxvavDBuF0g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192