• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

It is activated during the installation.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on February 19, 2021, 11:18 PM

Permanently? Or do you need to rearm it every 6 months?

scarface

Quote from: humbert on February 25, 2021, 05:30 AM
Quote from: scarface on February 19, 2021, 11:18 PM

Permanently? Or do you need to rearm it every 6 months?
Permanently, I don't know. But I didn't rearm it after 6 months.

humbert

I'm noticing that every day that passes getting a fully activated copy of Windows is easier. There are many preactivated copies on the torrents. There are also plenty of KMS programs that claim to activate permanently, even going as far as the program saying your activation is on Micro$haft's servers. It's clear MS doesn't make its money by selling activations, they make their money by advertizing and all that preinstalled garbage.

BTW, you test these on VMware. How many cores do you assign to the VM, or perhaps how many cores should you assign?

scarface

Quote from: humbert on March 01, 2021, 05:09 AM
I'm noticing that every day that passes getting a fully activated copy of Windows is easier. There are many preactivated copies on the torrents. There are also plenty of KMS programs that claim to activate permanently, even going as far as the program saying your activation is on Micro$haft's servers. It's clear MS doesn't make its money by selling activations, they make their money by advertizing and all that preinstalled garbage.
If you are against the commercial practices of Microsoft, and I can understand that, you can still buy a computer sold without Windows.
For example this one, which comes up with Freedos: https://www.fnac.com/mp44489064/MSI-GF63-10SCSR-1202XFR-Thin-Core-i5-10300H-2-5-GHz-Aucun-SE-fourni-8-Go-RAM-512-Go-SSD-NVMe-15-6-1920-x-1080-Full-HD-144-Hz-GF-GTX-1650-Ti-Wi-Fi-Bluetooth-noir/w-4#omnsearchpos=2

Quote from: humbert on March 01, 2021, 05:09 AM
BTW, you test these on VMware. How many cores do you assign to the VM, or perhaps how many cores should you assign?
I think one is enough.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on February 13, 2021, 06:00 AM
My 6-year old mobo died and I forcibly had to upgrade. I got myself an i9-18090K with and MSI Mobo. I put 32GB of RAM so I can run VM's and give them generous amounts of RAM, plus run a ramdrive for temp files and use no swapfile. The SSD is 1 TB. I haven't checked but it's probably QLC. In order for it to last as long as possible it should be as large as you can afford with quite a bit of trimming to help even out the wear. They have 4 bits per cell, which mean they can only take about 1000 read-write cycles. Even getting TLC has become difficult.

I downloaded a "pre-activated" copy of Windows 10 from a torrent site. It was activated for a day or so then the activation was gone (unless I did something wrong somewhere). I rearmed it for 6 months with a KMS program. Does anyone know a way to activate this thing permanently? There are keys for sale on Ebay for less than . Even if I bought one that works, can you deacivate with KMS and reactivate with the key? Can anyone give me a link or something on this?
That's sad. I never heard of 18th gen Intel CPU may it's a typo. Haha... Intel CPU numbers are awful to remember. With AMD counterparts less in stock you could have got 5600x.
Even I switched to 1TB QLC from Crucial P1 for 250-300$ when there was a deal. I don't see any performance difference from my Samsung NVMe. It runs cooler and has better battery life on laptop. I would think rate Hynix Gold P31 as one of the best perf per watt SSD with TLC NAND.
This is AIO activator for MSO and Win 10. It can change editions of office as well. https://github.com/abbodi1406/KMS_VL_ALL_AIO/releases/tag/v0.41.2
It will add exclusions to defender and you can continue using win 10 w/o any trial limit. It will renew every 30/90 days.

humbert

Scarface -> I always buy new computers without Windows or any OS for that matter. On a desktop usually I replace the motherboard, CPU, RAM (if needed) and HD. I almost always use the same case and power supply. Since I can barely use a screwdriver, I pay the vendor to assemble it for me. After everything is done I install a clean copy of Windows. When I buy a new laptop first I go to their website and download the necessary drivers. Then I wipe the drive clean and reinstall a fresh copy without all the garbage. This is often better than removing all the pre-loaded garbage they put on it.

Vasudev -> I asked the store for an AMD and they didn't have it. I bought what they had in stock because I couldn't wait a week. My big problem is the inability to assemble a PC correctly. If I could do so I would have chosen something better and possibly cheaper. Amazon or Newegg would have delivered it in 24 hours. The problem with QLC drives isn't lack of performance, it's the fact that the cells will only do about 1000 read-write cycles. When buying QLC your best bet is buying the biggest you can afford, leave most the space unused and be sure to trim it. That way it'll even out the wear and the drive will last longer. The reason that's what you find on the market is simple: THEY'RE JUST PLAIN CHEAPER. You're squeezing 4 bits to a single cell, so you've got less cells and more bits.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on March 03, 2021, 04:49 AM
Scarface -> I always buy new computers without Windows or any OS for that matter.
Well, it's not always easy to find them, at least for laptops.

On a desktop usually I replace the motherboard, CPU, RAM (if needed) and HD. I almost always use the same case and power supply.
On my laptop I put an old ssd since there was a free slot.
There was a ssd called KBG30ZMS256G Kioxia, but I don't use it.

Vasudev

Scarface -> I always buy new computers without Windows or any OS for that matter. On a desktop usually I replace the motherboard, CPU, RAM (if needed) and HD. I almost always use the same case and power supply. Since I can barely use a screwdriver, I pay the vendor to assemble it for me. After everything is done I install a clean copy of Windows. When I buy a new laptop first I go to their website and download the necessary drivers. Then I wipe the drive clean and reinstall a fresh copy without all the garbage. This is often better than removing all the pre-loaded garbage they put on it.

Vasudev -> I asked the store for an AMD and they didn't have it. I bought what they had in stock because I couldn't wait a week. My big problem is the inability to assemble a PC correctly. If I could do so I would have chosen something better and possibly cheaper. Amazon or Newegg would have delivered it in 24 hours. The problem with QLC drives isn't lack of performance, it's the fact that the cells will only do about 1000 read-write cycles. When buying QLC your best bet is buying the biggest you can afford, leave most the space unused and be sure to trim it. That way it'll even out the wear and the drive will last longer. The reason that's what you find on the market is simple: THEY'RE JUST PLAIN CHEAPER. You're squeezing 4 bits to a single cell, so you've got less cells and more bits.
On the first day, I wrote 100TB on QLC to test its limits and now it has crossed 300TB+ after upgrading from 1809 to 1909. Remade few 1909 ISOs. I'm waiting for good Win 10 21H1/21H2 stable release.

humbert

Scarface ->As far as I know there is no laptop vendor that will sell you a laptop with no OS on it. In fact, the reason prices aren't that high is precisely because all that extra raw sewage they carry. Producers of that garbage pay laptop manufacturers to preload their crap. As I see it, it'll probably take me less time to wipe the drive completely and install a clean copy of W10 than to have to remove the garbage from the OS it came with. And of course it's entirely possible you might not get all of it. These miscreants do everything in their power to make their sewage as difficult to remove as possible and create situations where you almost have to use their garbage.

Vasu -> How big did you say your SSD is? I did some checking on Google, QLC drives do anywhere from 150 to 1000 read-write cycles per cell. Naturally this includes that extra overprovisioned storage they carry which the OS doesn't see. By comparison, MLC's can do 30,000 to 35,000. Take it easy on that drive  :)  It's sad that MLC's are almost no longer available. Companies want to sell cheap drives AND, if possible, create a situation where they can sell you another drive in a few years.