• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on June 10, 2021, 10:09 PM

Well, I didn't know this package. But I'm afraid it might impede the installation of future updates.
I'll try to upload some new versions soon.

Note that I left Grau du Roi this morning. I hope you enjoyed the photos on the forum.
/ResetBase might kill system reset feature but /startcomponentcleanup will not impede win updates/upgrades.
Quote from: humbert on June 11, 2021, 04:57 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on June 09, 2021, 06:56 PM
You're welcome. I'm glad you understood it the first time. If you didn't I don't know how to re-phrase them in a simple way. haha..

At first I didn't get it. Then I started playing around with it until it finally made sense.

Did you say you used ESD to put this ISO together? If so, what exactly does that mean? What ever you did it works great. Both the desktop and the lappie upgraded without a hitch. How'd you accomplish this?
Wim file was around 5.62GB while ESD size was 2.97GB and ESD conversion/de-conversion is time consuming and memory/cpu intensive  and approximately takes 1-2hrs to complete depending on updates.
This time I used Win10UI from abbodi's Batutils scripts along Wintoolkit (integrate edge, FSViewer, few regtweaks, hibernation disabling, show all power options, dx9 etc..) and NTLite(Remove unwanted Appx, assembly files etc).
When I use Wintoolkit/NTlite it takes atleast 3 hrs to manually slipstream updates in install.wim and boot.wim and re-check in VBox VM.
With Win10UI's ini file I made a base OS with slipstreamed updates, unchecked netfx35 integration, skipped ISO/ESD creation. So, it took 15-30 mins to update all editions. I used Wintoolkit/Ntlite to add programs and cleanup basically reducing my 6-8hrs workload.

humbert

Vasu: Whatever you did on that ISO it worked perfectly. This is the only Windows upgrade ISO that worked flawlessly on both the desktop and the laptop.

You said hashes are necessary because the ISP might alter the ISO. Wouldn't they also alter the small hash file too?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 12, 2021, 05:29 AM
Vasu: Whatever you did on that ISO it worked perfectly. This is the only Windows upgrade ISO that worked flawlessly on both the desktop and the laptop.

You said hashes are necessary because the ISP might alter the ISO. Wouldn't they also alter the small hash file too?
Thanks.
Yes indeed but normal users were frustrated even with double hash checks for password protected archive and files itself, so I refrained from adding it. Then again mega.nz has encryption and file checks anyway. Next time, I will add hashes for all files so that it can be 100% ensured it is authentic.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on June 13, 2021, 09:15 PM
Yes indeed but normal users were frustrated even with double hash checks for password protected archive and files itself, so I refrained from adding it. Then again mega.nz has encryption and file checks anyway. Next time, I will add hashes for all files so that it can be 100% ensured it is authentic.

Aren't you already doing that? Has your new ISP or anybody else interfered with anything you've uploaded, including the small hash file? I'm asking because if I wanted to somehow alter your upload, I do that and then create a new hash file.

Another thing: it appears that with 21H1 Micro$shaft has squashed the failed upgrade bug. Just right now Windows update notified me of an important update. It installed perfectly. Not only that, other optional cumulative and driver updates also installed without the slightest hiccup. This is the first time in quite a while I've installed updates from Micro$shaft flawlessly and with no headaches. So far 21H1 is rock solid. For this reason I urge all you guys to upgrade to it, the sooner the better.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 15, 2021, 05:58 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on June 13, 2021, 09:15 PM

Aren't you already doing that? Has your new ISP or anybody else interfered with anything you've uploaded, including the small hash file? I'm asking because if I wanted to somehow alter your upload, I do that and then create a new hash file.

Another thing: it appears that with 21H1 Micro$shaft has squashed the failed upgrade bug. Just right now Windows update notified me of an important update. It installed perfectly. Not only that, other optional cumulative and driver updates also installed without the slightest hiccup. This is the first time in quite a while I've installed updates from Micro$shaft flawlessly and with no headaches. So far 21H1 is rock solid. For this reason I urge all you guys to upgrade to it, the sooner the better.
I'm using mobile data as hotspot nowadays so till now they haven't interfered. maybe I'll add that file you asked since its a small hash files and will provide more authenticity.
20H1 and 20H2 had upgrade blocks from synaptics and conexant audio/touchpad drivers I use on lenovo's and dell.
Since 1909 was EOL, I had to make a jump to 21H1 directly.

humbert

I said M$ had squashed the upgrade bug. Not completely. The optional cumulative update did not update on my laptop, although everything else did. They've improved it but obviously haven't fixed it completely. Maybe Windows 11 will bring some more fixes with it.

scarface

Note that new versions of windows 10 and 7 are available in this topic.
They are both very small. The drivers added in windows 10 were updated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FHYRTz_ZDw

humbert

Quote from: scarface on July 15, 2021, 02:48 AM

I'm surprised you're still making versions of Windows 10, let alone Windows 7. I thought you'd concentrate on 11. Never forget that eventually we will all be running 11. Upgrades are an inevitable fact of life.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on July 15, 2021, 04:56 AM
Quote from: scarface on July 15, 2021, 02:48 AM

I'm surprised you're still making versions of Windows 10, let alone Windows 7. I thought you'd concentrate on 11. Never forget that eventually we will all be running 11. Upgrades are an inevitable fact of life.
As far as W7 is concerned you're right. Maybe I will discontinue Windows 7 support pretty soon but some users might still be using it on the forum like Vasudev or Usman. By the way, you have probably noticed that windows xp is still available on the forum too. As for windows 10, It still is the best version to use. Windows 11 was not even officially released and there was not update for it on 13th July unlike the two other versions.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on July 15, 2021, 02:04 PM
As far as W7 is concerned you're right. Maybe I will discontinue Windows 7 support pretty soon but some users might still be using it on the forum like Vasudev or Usman. By the way, you have probably noticed that windows xp is still available on the forum too. As for windows 10, It still is the best version to use. Windows 11 was not even officially released and there was not update for it on 13th July unlike the two other versions.

I don't know why at this juncture anyone would still want a copy of Win7. I suggest as opposed to starting on a new copy from scratch, just give a link to one you already have and let him update it. Any program you put there that he intends to use can be easily updated. The OS is another matter. Add to this the fact that there's really no need for it. W10 will run on just about any computer that ran Win7, plus the fact that W10 is sufficiently stable not to need an old OS.

And of course, hold off on W11 until it becomes more mainstream and hacks begin to exist.