• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Following the advice of humbert, note that a poll is available. The Windows 7 iso will be removed if there answers are showing it is not needed any longer.

Note that I tested the latest version of windows 11 (22000.71). I wanted to release a new version but I won't since it has become unusable. The option to get a classic start menu was disabled in the registry. Open shell doesn't work any more. And as far as the right click context menu is concerned, you have to click "more options" to get the old one (the registry tweaks were disabled too). Apparently more and more users are furious about these new changes.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on July 16, 2021, 05:29 PM
Note that I tested the latest version of windows 11 (22000.71). I wanted to release a new version but I won't since it has become unusable. The option to get a classic start menu was disabled in the registry. Open shell doesn't work any more. And as far as the right click context menu is concerned, you have to click "more options" to get the old one (the registry tweaks were disabled too). Apparently more and more users are furious about these new changes.

That's a good idea. Hold off on Windows 11 for a few more months at the very least. At this point it's not usable.

One thing I did like about Windows 11 is it gave me the option of bring back Windows 8's full start screen. I firmly believe this is one thing Micro$oft got right. I detest Classic Shell with a passion. I hate clicking the bottom left of the screen, mouse up, left, down, back -- all to find the app you're looking for. What could be easier then hitting the windows key and finding the tile you want staring you in the face? Add to this that you can arrange the tiles any way you want, and include whatever you use most on the first page. I strongly believe people who stick to the classic shell do not understand how to use the start page and/or are firmly committed to stick with what they know.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on July 15, 2021, 04:56 AM
Quote from: scarface on July 15, 2021, 02:48 AM
Note that new versions of windows 10 and 7 are available in this topic.
They are both very small. The drivers added in windows 10 were updated.

I'm surprised you're still making versions of Windows 10, let alone Windows 7. I thought you'd concentrate on 11. Never forget that eventually we will all be running 11. Upgrades are an inevitable fact of life.
I'll be sticking with Win 10 until I buy new PC. Skylake isn't supported by Win11. Except that all are good.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on July 18, 2021, 10:05 PM
I'll be sticking with Win 10 until I buy new PC. Skylake isn't supported by Win11. Except that all are good.

Take your time and don't even worry about it. It's a safe bet someone will find a way to disable that limitation. I'm firmly convinced that it's not that it won't work with "older" CPU's, but that M$ is disabling it on purpose. If indeed this is a CPU-hungry OS, then how it is that it runs faster than Windows 10 on a virtual machine? Logic dictates it wouldn't run on a VM at all, or at least not until Oracle updated VirtualBox to run OK on Win11.

scarface

Note that a new version of windows 10 is available.
Added: Net 5.08 desktop runtime.
Added program: advor
Updates: handbrake, belatout.

Following the advice of humbert, a new version of windows 7 is available with all the updates till July 2021. This version is much smaller (converted to esd). It won’t be updated any more but it remains fully updatable.
https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3350.msg36198#msg36198

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZVxfqstjtM

humbert

QuoteI'll be sticking with Win 10 until I buy new PC. Skylake isn't supported by Win11. Except that all are good.

An idea occurred to me. I found a torrent for a lite copy of Windows 11 with all the metro apps removed except Windows Defender, and of course with TPM and secure boot disabled. Why not grab a copy and try to run it on Virtualbox? I'm asking because since this thing ran so well on my VM, I continue to insist "old" CPU's were disabled on purpose. This thing just might run on your VM despite what M$ keeps saying. My CPU is supported, which is why I can't run the experiment.

QuoteUpdates: handbrake, belatout

Why do you insist on preloading handbrake? Does anyone on here use it other than you? As you know, many of us test your copies on VM's where running handbrake is not practical. If you didn't include it but someone else uses it, it's easy to simply download and install a free copy.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on July 21, 2021, 04:35 AM
Updates: handbrake, belatout

Why do you insist on preloading handbrake? Does anyone on here use it other than you? As you know, many of us test your copies on VM's where running handbrake is not practical. If you didn't include it but someone else uses it, it's easy to simply download and install a free copy.
Constructive suggestions don't upset me, but here I don't know what I can say. I tried to add many useful programs indeed. This version of windows 10 is not meant to test handbrake under a virtual machine, its purpose is primarily to be used as your OS (and you can use handbrake or not).
As for the question about who uses it or not, it won't give rise to a real debate, if you think handbrake is a useless program, you can explain this on the handbrake forum, maybe they will counter your arguments.
I must add that handbrake is not preinstalled like a few other programs. If you want to remove extra programs, you can remove the "$oem$ folder", as I already said, with ultraiso or winiso (tutorial here: http://www.winiso.com/support/tutorials/delete-iso.html)

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on July 21, 2021, 04:35 AM
I use handbreak. I've rarely downloaded Iso's from other people unless it's for testing or a pc i never will put my bank details on etc.
Handbreak can decrease size by alot without losing alot of quality

humbert

Quote from: scarface on July 21, 2021, 09:07 PM
As for the question about who uses it or not, it won't give rise to a real debate, if you think handbrake is a useless program, you can explain this on the handbrake forum, maybe they will counter your arguments.

Who said anything about handbrake being a useless program? How can I make that judgement when I don't even use it myself? Shadow likes it and maybe some others here on the forum do too. If it weren't preinstalled, whoever needs it can very easily download and install a copy. Preloading it implies just about everyone wants it and uses it. Most of us probably end up removing it. This is not because the program is bad, simply because they have no use for it.

I consider it a real pain when you download *any* OS (yours or someone else's) and you have to waste useful time simply taking out the garbage.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on July 22, 2021, 06:52 AM
I consider it a real pain when you download *any* OS (yours or someone else's) and you have to waste useful time simply taking out the garbage.
I followed your recommendation: all the programs installed during "oobe" were removed. The size of the disk image is 400 mb smaller. The new version is available here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3350.msg36418#msg36418