• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: scarface on July 22, 2021, 03:40 PM
I followed your recommendation: all the programs installed during "oobe" were removed. The size of the disk image is 400 mb smaller. The new version is available here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3350.msg36418#msg36418

Splendid idea. Always remember this: the programs you preinstalled are very easy to obtain by those who really need them. You also have the option of putting a small text file on the desktop with recommended software and links. This way users can easily pick and choose.

The main reason these operating systems are preloaded with garbage is because those who make the garbage do everything in their power so that people will USE their unwanted programs. That's how they profit. They even pay computer manufacturers to preload their trash. I believe the most detestable example is Microsoft Edge. M$ puts links on the desktop, the taskbar, and on the first page of the program menu. I've heard they even go as far as that when you put anything other than Edge as the default browser, and ad comes out and says "there is no need for another browser, you already have the best browser in the world".  I absolutely HATE M$ Edge and will not use it under ANY circumstances.

Incidentally, I'm well aware of the fact that the dastarly examples in the previous paragraph in no way apply to you (you=Scarface). You do it for what you believe is the benefit of the user with no self-gain involved.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on July 24, 2021, 05:27 AM
Splendid idea. Always remember this: the programs you preinstalled are very easy to obtain by those who really need them. You also have the option of putting a small text file on the desktop with recommended software and links. This way users can easily pick and choose.
You won't have to use Iobit uninstaller, should you install it again, indeed.
Actually, to make things simpler, I made a "AIO switchless installer" with all the programs that were once installed during "oobe" in the previous windows 10 edition and added many more programs (therefore many more programs than in the previous windows image you made a fuss about). You can already find some of these programs on the forum. All of them are free or registered editions. All the programs are installed once this file is executed (there is a popup for Filezilla server because it doesn't support a complete silent installation, maybe I'll find a better alternative).
If some users are interested in this, or if some want to improve this, let me know and I will upload it (the size is roughly 1gb).
It includes the following programs:

mediacoder
GDHO
firefox
vlc
innosetup-6.2.0
handbrake
PsychoPinball
easus partition master
LameXP
Sumatra
Pdfcreator
cdisplay
nsis-3.06.1-setup
SmartCopy
pinball
RED
WiseDuplicateFinder
Advor
PDF_Page_Delete
Renamer
Belatout
ResTuner_setup
HDDsoft
psp9
vcd
Filezillaserver
xnview
java
vse 8.8 P16
mkvtoolnix

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on July 19, 2021, 05:30 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on July 18, 2021, 10:05 PM
I'll be sticking with Win 10 until I buy new PC. Skylake isn't supported by Win11. Except that all are good.

Take your time and don't even worry about it. It's a safe bet someone will find a way to disable that limitation. I'm firmly convinced that it's not that it won't work with "older" CPU's, but that M$ is disabling it on purpose. If indeed this is a CPU-hungry OS, then how it is that it runs faster than Windows 10 on a virtual machine? Logic dictates it wouldn't run on a VM at all, or at least not until Oracle updated VirtualBox to run OK on Win11.
MSFT quotes the reason being CPU exploits that is affected Skylake+ and Skylake's newer microcode update slow it down terribly.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on July 25, 2021, 08:38 PM
MSFT quotes the reason being CPU exploits that is affected Skylake+ and Skylake's newer microcode update slow it down terribly.

I continue to insist older CPU's can be made to run on Windows 11 if somebody goes in there and forcibly removes these limitations. My tests on VM's indicate this doesn't really demand CPU cycles any more than Windows 10.  You just said Skylake "slows it down terribly". That's not the same as not running at all. I can't understand their insistence on disabling "older" CPU's that have more than enough power to run Windows 10.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on July 26, 2021, 04:29 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on July 25, 2021, 08:38 PM

I continue to insist older CPU's can be made to run on Windows 11 if somebody goes in there and forcibly removes these limitations. My tests on VM's indicate this doesn't really demand CPU cycles any more than Windows 10.  You just said Skylake "slows it down terribly". That's not the same as not running at all. I can't understand their insistence on disabling "older" CPU's that have more than enough power to run Windows 10.
Yeah I hope so.

scarface

Note that a new version of windows 10 will be available on Tuesday. Windows 7 will be updated too.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on August 09, 2021, 01:39 AM
Note that a new version of windows 10 will be available on Tuesday. Windows 7 will be updated too.

Just wondering: who in our group still uses Windows 7 and is interested in downloading your copy?

scarface

Quote from: humbert on August 10, 2021, 04:52 AM
Quote from: scarface on August 09, 2021, 01:39 AM

Just wondering: who in our group still uses Windows 7 and is interested in downloading your copy?
You are certainly right. Today, I made a new version with the latest patches, once again. But maybe it's not useful any more.
You know when my father was still alive, I was always complaining he wasn't doing the right things. I should have thanked him back then.
If you think all I'm doing on the forum is useless then I will stop posting. Unfortunately I'm not young any more. I'm not even playing the games I uploaded on the forum. Just like you, I like software piracy.
I'm using this forum because we are  free to talk and post what we want. The administrator of the forum doesn't risk anything in Palestine, his country, I guess.
If you think you can be more useful than me on the forum, just tell me. I'm waiting for a successor.

scarface

humbert is right: from now on, only new versions of windows 10 will be available on the forum. You will find a new updated version on the forum soon. And windows 11 is voluntarily boycotted.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on August 11, 2021, 12:36 AM
humbert is right: from now on, only new versions of windows 10 will be available on the forum. You will find a new updated version on the forum soon. And windows 11 is voluntarily boycotted.

I agree. What's the point of making Windows 7 if nobody's interested? I also agree with your decision to hold off on Windows 11. It's still way too early. Give it another 6 months at the very least.