• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Note that Windows 7 was finally updated with the latest updates. Maybe quite a few users are still using it on the forum even if some, like humbert, left this OS a long time ago for newer versions or for Linux.
You can find it here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3350.msg36198#msg36198

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZVxfqstjtM

humbert

Quote from: scarface on September 05, 2021, 05:41 AM
Note that Windows 7 was finally updated with the latest updates. Maybe quite a few users are still using it on the forum even if some, like humbert, left this OS a long time ago for newer versions or for Linux.

Let's see something. A question for all users on the forum: How many of you are still on Windows 7? Please raise your hands.

Me running Linux? I wish! I'd love nothing more than to unshackle from Micro$haft. Sadly that's not possible. The reason is clear: lack of support. There are many examples. If all I did was surf the web and check email, then any distro of Linux would do fine. I do much more than that.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on September 06, 2021, 04:38 AM
Quote from: scarface on September 05, 2021, 05:41 AM

Let's see something. A question for all users on the forum: How many of you are still on Windows 7? Please raise your hands.

Me running Linux? I wish! I'd love nothing more than to unshackle from Micro$haft. Sadly that's not possible. The reason is clear: lack of support. There are many examples. If all I did was surf the web and check email, then any distro of Linux would do fine. I do much more than that.
I use W7 July edition Pro x64 for VM and some old government sites/apps that doesn't work with W10.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on September 08, 2021, 09:24 PM
I use W7 July edition Pro x64 for VM and some old government sites/apps that doesn't work with W10.

The government has no interest in upgrading the sites/apps you mentioned. This is beyond your control. You are left with no choice but to stick with W7, at least to be able to do your job.

For the rest of our forum members: is there anyone who is still on Windows 7? If so, why?

scarface

Note that new versions of windows 10 and 7 will be available next Tuesday, for humbert and Vasudev.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on September 11, 2021, 11:32 PM
Note that new versions of windows 10 and 7 will be available next Tuesday, for humbert and Vasudev.

Do you have any plans to put out a version of Windows 11 after its official release? Sooner or later you'll probably have to. You know as well as I do upgrades are inevitable. I've seen resistance to upgrades are far back as when MS-Dos was the operating system of choice. Eventually we'll all be overwhelmed by the tide.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on September 12, 2021, 04:55 AM
Do you have any plans to put out a version of Windows 11 after its official release?
Probably. Even if Windows 11 might not bring anything new.

scarface

Tonight, new versions of windows 10 and 7 (x64) will be available on the forum. I know that Vasudev, usman, and humbert are eagerly waiting for them.
A lot of updated drivers will be integrated to windows 10. As for windows 7, a new encrypted switchless activator will be embedded (I noticed that the new mcafee endpoint security was scanning inside the iso and since it found a virus inside the iso was quarantined. It won't be the case any more. It might work for other antivirus as well).
What's more, the latest  Visual C++ 2022 Redistributable, as well as the latest Net core 5 will be integrated to both windows 7 and 10.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on September 14, 2021, 09:33 PM
Tonight, new versions of windows 10 and 7 (x64) will be available on the forum. I know that Vasudev, usman, and humbert are eagerly waiting for them.
A lot of updated drivers will be integrated to windows 10. As for windows 7, a new encrypted switchless activator will be embedded (I noticed that the new mcafee endpoint security was scanning inside the iso and since it found a virus inside the iso was quarantined. It won't be the case any more. It might work for other antivirus as well).
What's more, the latest  Visual C++ 2022 Redistributable, as well as the latest Net core 5 will be integrated to both windows 7 and 10.
Never thought  .net core is supported on W7 along with vc++ 2022 runtimes.

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on September 15, 2021, 10:46 PM
Never thought  .net core is supported on W7 along with vc++ 2022 runtimes.
The new Net core 5 runtime - meant to replace Net framework 4.8 if I’m not mistaken - is indeed compatible with window 7 as you can see here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/install/windows?tabs=net50

Humbert made a fuss about windows 7 because he considers that windows 7 is obsolete. And he’s right but not for the good reasons. In fact, if you are analyzing the successor, windows 10, there is practically no innovation. Novelty is a marketing strategy for firms to earn more money. However, using the novelty effect to increase sales is not working when customers become aware that there is no more innovation. Customers used to sleep in front of the Apple store near the Opera Garnier in order to buy the newest iphone. It’s not true any longer since the smartphone market has reached maturity.
I’m pretty sure some users are still using windows 7 x64 on the forum, hence this new update.

In the 90's, each new Operating system from Microsoft was awaited with interest by customers. And some new systems were revolutionary indeed, like windows 95. This new start menu and the possibility to use cd-roms were really exciting. Windows 98 didn't really bring anything new. However those 16-bit systems were not always stable and you had to spend time to fix windows freezing and rebooting issues.
Dinosaurs like me and humbert remember this period vividly but you have certainly never known that time.
Windows Xp was also revolutionary because it was much more stable, being a 32-bit system. Windows xp x64 could have been interesting but it was released too late and too few drivers were made for it.