• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

im new

Started by nadeem, November 11, 2011, 05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ahmad

Quote from: humb25 on March 25, 2012, 06:03 AM
Let me be sure I understand you correctly, I'm a little confused. Assuming the same times as before, prayers (Ramadan or not) must be between 5:00 and 6:30am, the only difference being that during Ramadan, you can't eat after 5:00am. Does this mean you have to get up at [for example] 4:30am, eat something, and then go to the mosque? How far is the mosque from your house? Is it walking distance or must you take a bus, given that you don't have a car? Do you go to the mosque every morning to pray, or only during Ramadan?

YES, Dawn prayer must be between 05:00 and 06:30 am.  (Ramadan or not)
YES, in Ramadan, I can't eat after 05:00 am.
We have about 3 mosques in our street only !!  A big one and 2 small. So it takes me about 1 min to go to the mosque on foot.
I do my best to pray at mosque. But I lie if I told you everyday !!  Many times I get up at 06:00 am and pray at home.

Quote from: humb25 on March 25, 2012, 06:03 AM
In the dusk and evening prayers, did you say they take about 1:20 and not 5 to 10 minutes as the morning prayers?

NO, Dusk prayer is the fastest prayer. We do it in about 5 min.
We do any other prayer from 5 to 10 min.

I was talking about the period in which we can still do the pray in its time. SO, when sunset, we do the dusk prayer at mosque at 05:00 and we end it at 05:05 <for example>.
If someone doesn't do it at mosque, he can still do it in any time in the next 01:20 hour before the time of the last prayer comes.

So if anyone can't do any prayer at mosque, he has time to do it but the important thing is to do it before the time of the next prayer comes.

The calender we have determines the exact time of the 5 prayers every day all the year. So we don't even look at the sun or from the window. We see the time and know when the next prayer comes.

In the previous post, I wrote to you the exact time of each prayer. And for how long we can still do the prayer before the next one comes.

Finally, you have the right to be confused as it's all strange for you.

Take care.  :) :D
Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.

humbert

Quote from: Ahmad on March 25, 2012, 05:46 PM
Finally, you have the right to be confused as it's all strange for you.

Don't think I didn't read the rest of your post. I read it carefully and now I understand. The reason I'm asking all this is simply because I want to know about my friends' cultures and beliefs, especially given the fact that neither you nor I have the luxury of getting on a plane and meeting personally. I would be thrilled to meet many of you and (assuming it OK in their culture) give you a strong hug -- something acceptable in both my cultures. Sadly, that's just not possible.

Trust me, in my travels one thing I have constantly run into is cultural differences. When I traveled to Thailand years ago on business, I read all I could about Buddhism (the primary religion there, at least in Bangkok). I even learned that you could be arrested for simply standing on a big statue of Buddha to take a picture, and of course, don't even think of saying something negative about the King, although he is basically a figurehead just like in England. I'd like to ask Bladeshark about Hindu religion and culture in India, but as you know, he is not Hindu.

Let me ask you another thing -- do the same rules (prayer, etc) apply equally to women as to men in Islam, or are there rules (not including the dress code, which I already know) which are just for one gender? I also heard somewhere that in Islamic countries it's not proper for men to wear short sleeved shirts, they must all be long sleeve. True or false? Finally (for now), what exactly is the job of an Emam? Is he like some sort of priest? How does an Emam even become and Emam? And finally, am I correct in assuming that gender exclusion applies when it comes to them, i.e., there are no female Emams?

Ahmad

Quote from: humb25 on March 29, 2012, 12:42 AM
especially given the fact that neither you nor I have the luxury of getting on a plane and meeting personally. I would be thrilled to meet many of you and (assuming it OK in their culture) give you a strong hug -- something acceptable in both my cultures. Sadly, that's just not possible.
I wish I could do that too and give you this strong hug. (It's very acceptable here)

Trust me, in my travels one thing I have constantly run into is cultural differences.
That's why I'm saying I learn from you a lot as I have never traveled out of my country and I know how good teacher is traveling !!

do the same rules (prayer, etc) apply equally to women as to men in Islam, or are there rules
YES, women have the same rules of prayer except they are not demanded to pray at mosque. < Not like men who are demanded to pray at mosque as a priority >
But if she wants to go to pray at mosque, it's OK and they have a defined place in the mosque for women.

I also heard somewhere that in Islamic countries it's not proper for men to wear short sleeved shirts
Men have to cover their body from Knees below to umbilicus (navel) above. This part is the important part to cover. <Many were dressing like this several centuries ago> So shirts with long or short sleeves are OK.

Finally (for now), what exactly is the job of an Emam? Is he like some sort of priest? How does an Emam even become and Emam? And finally, am I correct in assuming that gender exclusion applies when it comes to them, i.e., there are no female Emams?

First, there are no female Emams.

The Emam is a person who knows about Islam instructions better than ordinary people. He starts as a student at Al Azhar. He studies every science like any other students but in addition to that, he studies the sciences of Islam like The Holy Qur'an, our prophet's life in detail, sayings, situations, manners ...etc. Then when growing up, study the rules in Islam in detail. After graduation from Al Azhar, he becomes an Emam for a mosque. He goes to the mosque everyday, leads people in praying and teaches people about their religion and how to deal with situations of life as they should.
He also does the speeches of Fridays which happens every Friday at about 12:10 PM.
Also, when we don't know how to deal with something and want to know its rule in Islam, we ask the Emam.

But Al Azhar is not a condition to be Emam as there was no Azhar before. Actually the word Emam means the person with the most knowledge about Islam (The Holy Qur'an and our prophet's life in detail) and for that, he can lead them in praying and guide them to do what Islam said.

But also, it doesn't mean that women don't understand about religion or something like that. We have female professors at Al Azhar who teach male students. They only can't be Emam in praying but they can teach as long as they know better.

humbert

Quote from: Ahmad on March 29, 2012, 02:31 AM
I wish I could do that too and give you this strong hug. (It's very acceptable here)

I affirm one day, you, our great leader and myself are going to have lunch somewhere.

That's why I'm saying I learn from you a lot as I have never traveled out of my country and I know how good teacher is traveling !!

I know this situation will change the day you graduate from medical school. Who knows, you might even visit Amsterdam and decide to stay there. I might even join you  :)

YES, women have the same rules of prayer except they are not demanded to pray at mosque. < Not like men who are demanded to pray at mosque as a priority >
But if she wants to go to pray at mosque, it's OK and they have a defined place in the mosque for women.

I don't understand something. When I asked about prayers, I understood you said you could either pray at home or at the mosque, but that you preferred the mosque because it was close to your house. Given this, how exactly does the "pray at the mosque" rule work for men? You already explained that for women it's optional.

Men have to cover their body from Knees below to umbilicus (navel) above. This part is the important part to cover. <Many were dressing like this several centuries ago> So shirts with long or short sleeves are OK.

OK, short sleeves are fine. Did I understand you to say you can wear shorts as long as they cover the knees? Here I wear shorts constantly unless it either gets cold or I have to go to a more formal place where it's not appropriate, and culturally there's no problem. I just stood up and got a measuring tape. From the very center of my knee to where the shorts end there are 3½ cm of exposed skin. If I were over there, would I have to wear either longer shorts or regular long pants?

First, there are no female Emams.
The Emam is a person who knows about Islam instructions better than ordinary people. He starts as a student at Al Azhar. He studies every science like any other students but in addition to that, he studies the sciences of Islam like The Holy Qur'an, our prophet's life in detail, sayings, situations, manners ...etc. Then when growing up, study the rules in Islam in detail. After graduation from Al Azhar, he becomes an Emam for a mosque. He goes to the mosque everyday, leads people in praying and teaches people about their religion and how to deal with situations of life as they should.
He also does the speeches of Fridays which happens every Friday at about 12:10 PM.
Also, when we don't know how to deal with something and want to know its rule in Islam, we ask the Emam.
But Al Azhar is not a condition to be Emam as there was no Azhar before. Actually the word Emam means the person with the most knowledge about Islam (The Holy Qur'an and our prophet's life in detail) and for that, he can lead them in praying and guide them to do what Islam said.
But also, it doesn't mean that women don't understand about religion or something like that. We have female professors at Al Azhar who teach male students. They only can't be Emam in praying but they can teach as long as they know better.

OK, I pretty much understand it. Still, there are a few questions. What exactly is Al Azhar? Is this a school located in your city, or what? Why are the speeches at exactly 12:10pm - is that time stated in the Holy Qur'an or what? Also, I was under the impression that if you arrive at a mosque, there will be other men (or women) praying there. I thought each person prayed on their own simply because they don't get there at exactly the same time. Now I understand you to say the Emam leads people in prayer. I'm confused.

Also, does the Emam perform Islamic marriage ceremonies? If not, then who does? Are religious marriages done at the mosque the same way they're done at a church in Christianity or what?

Thanks for the answers.
Humbert

Ahmad

Quote from: humb25 on March 29, 2012, 06:04 AM
I don't understand something. When I asked about prayers, I understood you said you could either pray at home or at the mosque, but that you preferred the mosque because it was close to your house. Given this, how exactly does the "pray at the mosque" rule work for men? You already explained that for women it's optional.
For men, the priority is to pray at mosque. If some one can't, like sleeping, sick, working, traveling or any reason, he can pray at home or at work or at his current place.
For women, the priority is to pray at home. But if she wants to pray at mosque. It's OK.

Did I understand you to say you can wear shorts as long as they cover the knees?
YES, but it must cover the whole knees. Notice that we kneel and prostrate in praying. So the clothes we wear must cover knees well. Longer shorts will be OK if somebody always wears shorts.

What exactly is Al Azhar?
Al-Azhar is like an independent ministry of education, working together with the main ministry of education, taking care of teaching Islam sciences and other sciences to students from the beginning of learning till graduation.
Most mosque Emams are Azhar graduates.

Why are the speeches at exactly 12:10pm - is that time stated in the Holy Qur'an or what?
Because this is the time of the second prayer which we do everyday <It ranges from about 11:45 AM to 12:15 PM according to the season>. But on Friday, the Emam does a speech first, then he leads us in prayer.

Also, I was under the impression that if you arrive at a mosque, there will be other men (or women) praying there. I thought each person prayed on their own simply because they don't get there at exactly the same time. Now I understand you to say the Emam leads people in prayer. I'm confused.
Everyone knows the exact time of prayers, so he goes to mosque to pray. If he goes early, he can pray or not <as he likes> until the time of the main prayer comes then the Emam leads all people at mosque in the main prayer.
If somebody goes late after the Emam finished, he can do the prayer at mosque alone or if many are late, one of them leads the others like Emam in the prayer.

Also, does the Emam perform Islamic marriage ceremonies? If not, then who does? Are religious marriages done at the mosque the same way they're done at a church in Christianity or what?
Here, it's called declaration of marriage which happens at mosque. The bride and the groom were already written as a couple in a paper at the records of marriage. but the groom goes to mosque to declare that he has married some woman and so the Emam say something and ask Allah all the best for them.
<Declaration means let people know that this woman becomes your wife>
Then after that as a tradition, they do celebrations at home and in their street where they live. They go to some Concert Halls or any way of celebration.

Take care.
:) :D

humbert

Quote from: Ahmad on March 30, 2012, 04:30 AM
Al-Azhar is like an independent ministry of education, working together with the main ministry of education, taking care of teaching Islam sciences and other sciences to students from the beginning of learning till graduation.
Most mosque Emams are Azhar graduates.

Although I know you haven't yet traveled outside Egypt, by any chance do you know if in other Islamic countries there are also Al-Azhars or something similar?

Speaking of traveling overseas, based on what you've been telling me I assume you don't have a passport. However, when you finish your studies you will need one, believe me! I'm curious if Egypt has other passport issuance requirements than simple proof of citizenship. Here in America proof of citizenship and money to pay for it are just about all you need, unless there exists some official reason why you can't leave the country. This is, however, not the case in many countries I've been to. For example, in Colombia if you want a passport, not only must you prove citizenship, you must prove you've fufilled your military obligation (men only) and you must also prove you don't owe taxes to the government. How is it in Egypt? Although you might not yet have one just yet, surely you know someone who does.

Everyone knows the exact time of prayers, so he goes to mosque to pray. If he goes early, he can pray or not <as he likes> until the time of the main prayer comes then the Emam leads all people at mosque in the main prayer.
If somebody goes late after the Emam finished, he can do the prayer at mosque alone or if many are late, one of them leads the others like Emam in the prayer.

Based on what you're telling me, I'm under the impression there is no need to pray together with other men and that doing so optional. If this is correct, then do men pray together for no other reason than personal preference? Am I right or what?

Here, it's called declaration of marriage which happens at mosque. The bride and the groom were already written as a couple in a paper at the records of marriage. but the groom goes to mosque to declare that he has married some woman and so the Emam say something and ask Allah all the best for them.
<Declaration means let people know that this woman becomes your wife>
Then after that as a tradition, they do celebrations at home and in their street where they live. They go to some Concert Halls or any way of celebration.

Let me see if I fully understand. As I see it, you're telling me there is a civil marriage (i.e., non-religious, just government) where the couple signs some papers. Then they go to the mosque where the Emam declares them married and asks Allah for His blessing. Assuming I've got it right so far, is the declaration at the mosque also a religious ceremony full of invited guests? And of course no questions regarding the rest. If this is basically right, you might be surprised that in my cultures the procedure is very similar. First comes the civil marriage, which is just signing papers. As far as the government is concerned, this is all that matters. You are free to then go to a church and perform a religious ceremony, but the government essentially ignores that, they only care about the papers. And, just like over there, afterwards comes the "reception" which is nothing more than a big celebration. The only difference is that here, at the reception they drink alcohol, dance, play music and do other things they like. Many photographs are taken too.

Oh, just for your information assuming I haven't clarified this, and just so you'll know me better. For me, the word "bicultural" is more appropriate than "bilingual". The reason is simply that I was raised under 2 cultures -- the one brought to Cuba and the Americas from our forefathers in Spain, and the American culture I was educated in. I arrived here at age 5. At home, Spanish was the language and the culture from my native country reigned supreme. At school, it was English and the American culture was practiced, not only at the school but by all my classmates. I adopted both as mine  :), and still do. This is very different from our great leader -- he speaks 3 languages and has the ability to read and write 3 different alphabets, yet he only has one culture because that's how he was raised and where he still lives.

Take good care,
Ahmad

Ahmad

Quote from: humb25 on March 31, 2012, 05:53 AM
Although I know you haven't yet traveled outside Egypt, by any chance do you know if in other Islamic countries there are also Al-Azhars or something similar?
NO, Al-Azhar is only in Egypt and it is the biggest foundation, teaching Islam sciences in the world. So, they come here to Al-Azhar university from all Islamic countries to learn Islam sciences.

Speaking of traveling overseas, based on what you've been telling me I assume you don't have a passport. However, when you finish your studies you will need one, believe me! I'm curious if Egypt has other passport issuance requirements than simple proof of citizenship. Here in America proof of citizenship and money to pay for it are just about all you need, unless there exists some official reason why you can't leave the country. This is, however, not the case in many countries I've been to. For example, in Colombia if you want a passport, not only must you prove citizenship, you must prove you've fufilled your military obligation (men only) and you must also prove you don't owe taxes to the government. How is it in Egypt? Although you might not yet have one just yet, surely you know someone who does.
YES, I don't have a passport.
What I know is that I must fulfill my military obligation before I can travel.
Really, I don't know enough about such things. BUT I'll know better when I need to travel.
Also, to travel outside the country needs money and it's not available for traveling now. May be after graduation and working.

Based on what you're telling me, I'm under the impression there is no need to pray together with other men and that doing so optional. If this is correct, then do men pray together for no other reason than personal preference? Am I right or what?
To clarify this,,,
We are demanded to pray at mosque so as to pray as one group leaded by an Emam in 5 specific times a day. Also, praying as a group at mosque has a greater blessing than praying individually at home, so it's much much better.
And praying at mosque means praying as a group, unless the man is too late to find another one to do the main prayer with him. In that case he prays at mosque individually.
If there are 2 or more late, they can do the main prayer as a group, one leads the others as Emam to get the benefit from praying as a group.
There are prayers which we do before or after the main prayer but they are optional and so we do it individually <Everyone prays as he likes>. BUT the main prayer is done as a group leaded by an Emam at mosque.

Let me see if I fully understand. As I see it, you're telling me there is a civil marriage (i.e., non-religious, just government) where the couple signs some papers. Then they go to the mosque where the Emam declares them married and asks Allah for His blessing. Assuming I've got it right so far, is the declaration at the mosque also a religious ceremony full of invited guests? And of course no questions regarding the rest. If this is basically right, you might be surprised that in my cultures the procedure is very similar. First comes the civil marriage, which is just signing papers. As far as the government is concerned, this is all that matters. You are free to then go to a church and perform a religious ceremony, but the government essentially ignores that, they only care about the papers. And, just like over there, afterwards comes the "reception" which is nothing more than a big celebration. The only difference is that here, at the reception they drink alcohol, dance, play music and do other things they like. Many photographs are taken too.
The papers are only for the government as you said.
During the days of our prophet <Peace be upon him and all the prophets>, a marriage was done at mosque, i.e... the groom and the father of the bride with all invited guests and Muslims of the neighborhood go to mosque to do the prayer, then our prophet <Peace be upon him and all the prophets> did a speech with recommendations to help them to live happy together. Then he ask the groom if he accepts her as a wife and if the bride accepts him as a husband. If YES, then they are married and they celebrated with a tambourine <a kind of music tools like a drum but smaller>. And this is what Emam does at mosque nowadays.
So, marriage in Islam requires 2 things:
- Accept each other.
- publicity, i.e.  Not in secret, family of both the groom and the bride must know and they publicize that in the neighborhood. i.e.. let people know that some woman becomes your wife, not just signing a paper.

Regarding celebrations and reception, we are almost similar except for what you know.

Take care, my dear bicultural friend.

humbert

Quote from: Ahmad on March 31, 2012, 09:37 PM
What I know is that I must fulfill my military obligation before I can travel.
Really, I don't know enough about such things. BUT I'll know better when I need to travel.
Also, to travel outside the country needs money and it's not available for traveling now. May be after graduation and working.

As for the military obligation, I don't know if this is possible in Egypt, but in both Colombia and Mexico where the same rule exists, many guys whose family is well off simply bribe the military doctor to say that the guy is unfit for military service. Once that happens, he is issued a document essentially saying that requirement has been met. In Colombia this is so endemic that there's a saying, "poor kids go to the army, rich kids just don't qualify".  :) Also, be advised that I'm aware of your situation and I know that right now it's not possible to travel, but believe me, this situation will change. That someday you'll have a passport is a certainty, so if you can do as in the countries I mentioned to get out of the army, start getting ready  :).

To clarify this,,,
We are demanded to pray at mosque so as to pray as one group leaded by an Emam in 5 specific times a day. Also, praying as a group at mosque has a greater blessing than praying individually at home, so it's much much better.
And praying at mosque means praying as a group, unless the man is too late to find another one to do the main prayer with him. In that case he prays at mosque individually.
If there are 2 or more late, they can do the main prayer as a group, one leads the others as Emam to get the benefit from praying as a group.
There are prayers which we do before or after the main prayer but they are optional and so we do it individually <Everyone prays as he likes>. BUT the main prayer is done as a group leaded by an Emam at mosque.

So basically what you're saying is that it's "better" (for lack of better wording) to pray with the Emam as opposed to doing it alone. If so, now I understand.

The papers are only for the government as you said.
During the days of our prophet <Peace be upon him and all the prophets>, a marriage was done at mosque, i.e... the groom and the father of the bride with all invited guests and Muslims of the neighborhood go to mosque to do the prayer, then our prophet <Peace be upon him and all the prophets> did a speech with recommendations to help them to live happy together. Then he ask the groom if he accepts her as a wife and if the bride accepts him as a husband. If YES, then they are married and they celebrated with a tambourine <a kind of music tools like a drum but smaller>. And this is what Emam does at mosque nowadays.
So, marriage in Islam requires 2 things:
- Accept each other.
- publicity, i.e.  Not in secret, family of both the groom and the bride must know and they publicize that in the neighborhood. i.e.. let people know that some woman becomes your wife, not just signing a paper.

OK, I understand. The only question remaining is that today at the mosque when the Emam "publishes" their marriage, it's a ceremony with invited guests and everything, right? It's not just the couple and the Emam alone?

Take care, my dear bicultural friend.

:) :) :) :) :)

Take care,

Ahmad

Quote from: humb25 on April 01, 2012, 02:56 AM
As for the military obligation, I don't know if this is possible in Egypt, but in both Colombia and Mexico where the same rule exists, many guys whose family is well off simply bribe the military doctor to say that the guy is unfit for military service. Once that happens, he is issued a document essentially saying that requirement has been met. In Colombia this is so endemic that there's a saying, "poor kids go to the army, rich kids just don't qualify".  :) Also, be advised that I'm aware of your situation and I know that right now it's not possible to travel, but believe me, this situation will change. That someday you'll have a passport is a certainty, so if you can do as in the countries I mentioned to get out of the army, start getting ready  :).
I may get out of the army without doing anything, as they say every some years that they don't need many to the army, and so many will get out by their good luck. I hope I have a good luck.

So basically what you're saying is that it's "better" (for lack of better wording) to pray with the Emam as opposed to doing it alone. If so, now I understand.
YES, it's much better to pray with the Emam.
For more information,,, Suppose the blessing of God are points, then:
Pray alone >> get 1 point.
Pray with the Emam >> get more than 27 points.
So Praying as a group is more than 27 times better than praying individually, and that is from what our prophet <Peace be upon him and all the prophets> said.
Do you see the difference !!

OK, I understand. The only question remaining is that today at the mosque when the Emam "publishes" their marriage, it's a ceremony with invited guests and everything, right? It's not just the couple and the Emam alone?
YES, the Emam, the groom, invited guests and also people of the neighborhood who came just for praying.

Have a good day, everyday.

humbert

Quote from: Ahmad on April 01, 2012, 05:37 PM
I may get out of the army without doing anything, as they say every some years that they don't need many to the army, and so many will get out by their good luck. I hope I have a good luck.

That situation happened before even here, and without conscription (i.e. forced military service). The draft (as conscription was called here) ended in 1973 about the time the Vietnam War ended, and to this day not even the highest levels of the military have asked Obama to bring it back. What happened is that they've created a system where the soldiers are not just very well paid, but the benefits they get are valid even after they complete their service, not to even mention that job market here is difficult because many jobs have been outsourced overseas. Understandibly, so many people have volunteered that there have been times where the army has actually had to turn applicants away. By comparison, soldiers in the other countries I mentioned are paid next to nothing and treated like garbage. In your case, although there is a high possibility that you will not be called, if you were does there exist a possibility you can bribe your way out? Also, if you were simply not called and never had to resort to bribery, the day you apply for a passport will you have to produce some document proving that your military obligation is fulfilled -- in other words, you were ready to serve but not called?

Another thing, only this time about the Arabic language. In English as you know, the word "you" applies in all situations and is the only one used. Not so in Spanish, German and maybe some other languages. In Spanish (which I'm more familiar with), there are 2 words for "you", they are "tu" and "usted". The word "tu" is used when addressing friends, spouses and others where there exists a good level of friendship and trust. However, with strangers and older people (chronologically speaking), the word "usted" is more appropriate because it implies more respect. For example, in my wife's family, I use "tu" when speaking not just to her, but to all her brothers and sisters, including their children. However, when addressing my father in law (her father), I always use "usted" because he should be treated with more respect and at a somewhat higher level. Similarly, if Spanish were spoken in Egypt, I'd address you as "tu", but I'd be sure to use "usted" when addressing your father. 

My question is simply this: does Arabic have something like this, or is there just one word for "you"?

BTW, if I don't respond to anything else you told me, it's only because now I understood and no more questions are necessary.  :)

Thanks
Humbert