• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

(New) Testing Anti Virus Suites

Started by Vasudev, June 02, 2014, 12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: scarface on March 09, 2024, 01:47 AMI have no router because I'm using my smartphone as a mobile hotspot. Formerly, I used to have a box, but I don't download any more. I have a data usage limit of 200 Gb.

So your only ISP is the phone? You have a laptop tethered to it and that's how you get online?

My phone provider is T-Mobile. They give me 100 GB. After that they slow me down only if there's traffic, but there is no additional charge. Unfortunately this does NOT include tethering. That's only 40 GB. It's quite possible that somewhere out there somebody has written a program that allows me to tether mobile data without T-Mobile knowing that I'm tethering. Haven't needed to look into it yet.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on March 05, 2024, 04:56 AM
Quote from: scarface on March 03, 2024, 06:20 AM1: Use Trellix antivirus (available above)
2: Format your hdds
3: Don't plug hdds to your router if it's not necessary
4: Don't use a router (I have no router...)

Thanks for your help. I found that site you mentioned and ran that program they recommended. Didn't help much. I will remember Trellix antivirus.

This is truly the weirdest issue I've run into since I first started to play around with computers. So much so that the problem actually went away by itself! Those files have not reappeared. I didn't do anything and have no explanation. To deepen the mystery, I sent all those scr files to virustotal and they all came back clean. Not one of the 50 or so antivirus companies detected any kind of malware anywhere. If indeed these files had malware, I would love to meet the guy who wrote the software. He succeeded in making his malware totally undetectable.

Another thing doesn't make sense. If indeed this was some sort of cryptocurrency mining going on as the site explains, it follows that the CPU & GPU would run at almost full speed - otherwise mining can't happen. In my case both were running normally and showing maybe 1% or 2% usage when the computer isn't running any program.

Unlike you, I have no choice but to use a router - and a strong one at that. I have no less than 15 devices connected to it and any time. Both my computers, 3 cell phones, 3 TV's and/or streaming devices plus some more stuff (thermostat, EV charger, etc). I have important data on drives connected the router's 2 USB ports. They must be accessed from anywhere in the house and from the street if I'm out. Without a router I'm dead in the water.

You said you don't use a router. Does this mean you connect your cell phone to the internet only via mobile data, i.e., no WiFi at home? If you need to use WiFi for a large download, to you go to Starbucks or use the one at work?
Hey Humbert, did not receive email notification so missed the post. Have you tried running Emsisoft Emergency Kit? If nothing comes up then I believe the malware wrote those infected scripts to Windows recovery or ESP which can be thoroughly removed using LiveCD of Dr.web or Kaspersky or Bitdefender.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on March 12, 2024, 08:46 PMHey Humbert, did not receive email notification so missed the post. Have you tried running Emsisoft Emergency Kit? If nothing comes up then I believe the malware wrote those infected scripts to Windows recovery or ESP which can be thoroughly removed using LiveCD of Dr.web or Kaspersky or Bitdefender.

I ran Emsisoft only this time not as the default to find malware but the entire drive. It found 2 infected files. Then I booted up Strelec's CD and ran Dr.Web. That one found 2 more. The problem is gone (at least for now) and the malware was found after those files stopped coming back. Oh well...

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on March 13, 2024, 03:59 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on March 12, 2024, 08:46 PMHey Humbert, did not receive email notification so missed the post. Have you tried running Emsisoft Emergency Kit? If nothing comes up then I believe the malware wrote those infected scripts to Windows recovery or ESP which can be thoroughly removed using LiveCD of Dr.web or Kaspersky or Bitdefender.

I ran Emsisoft only this time not as the default to find malware but the entire drive. It found 2 infected files. Then I booted up Strelec's CD and ran Dr.Web. That one found 2 more. The problem is gone (at least for now) and the malware was found after those files stopped coming back. Oh well...
You might need linux livecd since running from PE some files mask themselves as System which makes it impossible to remove. Try the ISO using Ventoy or Rufus. Scan speed should be pretty quick outside WinPE.
https://free.drweb.com/aid_admin/

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on March 13, 2024, 07:35 PMYou might need linux livecd since running from PE some files mask themselves as System which makes it impossible to remove. Try the ISO using Ventoy or Rufus. Scan speed should be pretty quick outside WinPE.

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the LiveCD and will put it on the same Ventoy flashdrive that has other ISO's on it.

Are there any other LiveCD's you recommend for malware removal or any other purpose, other than Strelec which was your recommendation?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on March 15, 2024, 03:30 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on March 13, 2024, 07:35 PMYou might need linux livecd since running from PE some files mask themselves as System which makes it impossible to remove. Try the ISO using Ventoy or Rufus. Scan speed should be pretty quick outside WinPE.

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the LiveCD and will put it on the same Ventoy flashdrive that has other ISO's on it.

Are there any other LiveCD's you recommend for malware removal or any other purpose, other than Strelec which was your recommendation?
Kaspersky Rescue Disk and Bitdefender (can be buggy and slow)

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on March 22, 2024, 09:15 PMKaspersky Rescue Disk and Bitdefender (can be buggy and slow)

OK fine. Any other recommendations?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on March 23, 2024, 06:00 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on March 22, 2024, 09:15 PMKaspersky Rescue Disk and Bitdefender (can be buggy and slow)

OK fine. Any other recommendations?
Dr. web