• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Forgot your Windows password_option1

Started by tinman, April 24, 2011, 04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: tinman on September 07, 2011, 05:09 AM
@humbert firefox is just a program, addons a re available even on the linux side.

Also i have made a video on using chntpw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgHSnFppQy0

Have fun

~tinman

I downloaded your video to look at it more carefully later.

As for Linux, I downloaded the most recent version of Ubuntu and created a Live CD. I also downloaded several E-books about Linux to try to educate myself about that operating system, and even a copy of Fedora because that's what the Dummies book guy was using. As you know, it's a GUI so all you do is click a mouse (or use a keyboard shortcut) if you want anything. Still, there's plenty I don't know and I have to continue reading and practicing. I don't have the luxury of buying another computer at this point (to use Linux), and I'm still not ready to repartition my HD and install Linux along with Windows.

I have a question for you. Even before our discussion, I knew that Linux had many different distros (Ubuntu is but one). Why do you prefer Ubuntu and what other distros can you recommend?

an7war

Firstly,sorry to just pop in.. I've got some answers to your questions:

You do not need to buy a new computer to try/test Ubuntu or any other operating system. Use virtual machines. There are programs such as VMWare or VirtualBox that always you to run OSes. What I mean, you can install Ubuntu inside a virtual machine and this would not affect your windows. This way you can run multiple OSes, be it Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE on your windows installation itself.

Ubuntu is a word which means 'humanity to others'. Ubuntu is popular because Linux distros before were not very user-friendly, but Ubuntu implemented somewhat of a GUI. This allowed less 'geek' persons to discover the linux world. And even today, for someone who wants to start to learn Linux, Ubuntu is preferred. Based on Debian, Ubuntu kept evolving to more user friendliness.

Another aspect might be that Ubuntu is free. So no license needed to install, unlike Windows (even though many people used cracked version of Windows)

There are many other things that made Ubuntu popular. It is still gaining ground on Windows.
I prefer Ubuntu because it is very simple to use, and in terms of resources it uses way less than Windows. Moreover, Ubuntu is less prone to viruses than Windows. Security-wise, Ubuntu is good. If a hole is found in Ubuntu, patches are released almost immediately as compared to Windows where patches are released on a time/week basis.
Being open source is another reason I love Ubuntu. There's help everywhere, and I can create my own version of Ubuntu without fearing any legal issues afterwards.

Distros I recommend apart from Ubuntu:
Linux mint - derived from Ubuntu but with more capabilities and apps.
Lubuntu - have same functionality as Ubuntu but uses the LXDE environment which is even more lightweight.
PinguyOS - Based on Ubuntu, but have VLC, and other apps, that people usually install after installing Ubuntu, by default
Fedora
OpenSUSE
Backtrack - Used for penetration and security testing.

humbert

Quote from: an7war on September 13, 2011, 12:45 AM
Firstly,sorry to just pop in.. I've got some answers to your questions:

You do not need to buy a new computer to try/test Ubuntu or any other operating system. Use virtual machines. There are programs such as VMWare or VirtualBox that always you to run OSes. What I mean, you can install Ubuntu inside a virtual machine and this would not affect your windows. This way you can run multiple OSes, be it Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE on your windows installation itself.
[stuff deleted]

I saved your entire post to my HD. Thanks for the info! I didn't have a clue virtual machining even existed, let alone how to use them. I downloaded Virtual Box and the user's manual because it's free and open source, as opposed to VMWare which I'd have to go to the Pirate Bay or some other place to find. I wonder why anyone would pay $562 for VMWare if Virtual Box is free, unless VMWare has features that Virtual Box doesn't, many of which to me here at home might be unnecessary. Now it's just a matter or reading the manual.

I do have a quick question. If I installed VirtualBox, Ubuntu would also be installed on one of my HD's, right (say drive D instead of C)? In order to run Ubuntu, first I'd run VB on top of Windows and it would take it from there? I realize all this is probably in the manual, but I just wanted to have an idea of how this works since it's all new to me.

an7war

I'm glad you've discovered something new :)
The world of VM is just great, running an OS on top of another one, just needs memory and some free space ;)

I use VirtualBox too, it's free and works great.
Have a look at this: http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-virtualbox-and-vs-vmware-and-vs-parallels/

Another reason why you might use VMware is because of the file type of the virtual hard disk. If I'm correct, VMware uses a different type of file HDD. But it doesn't matter much. Both have 'extensions' pack. Get info about virtualbox extension pack, it adds more usability/friendliness to the virtual OS. IMHO, it is a MUST!

Concerning your question:
VirtualBox will not create a new drive if you install ubuntu, or whatever OS. It will just create a virtual HDD, and in your current OS, it will just be a file(e.g VirtualMachineName.vdi). It won't show up in "My Computer/Computer" as a drive.
You do not need a separate partition to run Ubuntu on top of Windows in VirtualBox.

All depends how you set up your config. but the default ones VirtualBox sets up is ok.

Did you install Ubuntu on a separate partition or you installed it via VB?
And as I can see, you are mainly interested in trying Ubuntu than another OS.. Have you ever heard of Wubi?
QuoteWubi is an officially supported Ubuntu installer for Windows users. It can install and uninstall Ubuntu in the same way as any other Windows application. It's simple and safe.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer

If I can be helpful, I'm happy ;)

humbert

Quote from: an7war on September 16, 2011, 01:31 AM
I'm glad you've discovered something new :)
The world of VM is just great, running an OS on top of another one, just needs memory and some free space ;)
I use VirtualBox too, it's free and works great.
Have a look at this: http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-virtualbox-and-vs-vmware-and-vs-parallels/

That's an awesome link! I went back to where it starts (www.differencebetween.com) and bookmarked it. You can compare all kinds of things! Thanks! Thanks too for the link to download VMWare. I may or may not use it because all this is new to me, but at least I have the program.

Concerning your question:
VirtualBox will not create a new drive if you install ubuntu, or whatever OS. It will just create a virtual HDD, and in your current OS, it will just be a file(e.g VirtualMachineName.vdi). It won't show up in "My Computer/Computer" as a drive.
You do not need a separate partition to run Ubuntu on top of Windows in VirtualBox.
All depends how you set up your config. but the default ones VirtualBox sets up is ok.

I've been reading the docs about Virtual Box. I looked everywhere but there was one thing I couldn't find: once you create your VM via the wizard, how do you install Ubuntu into it... or for that matter ANY other OS? Also, although I realize the drives it creates are virtual, can you tell it to put Ubuntu (for example) on a specific physical drive that has plenty of space left over? Also, I have 8 gigs of physical memory. How much should you allocate to Ubuntu 64?
And finally (for now), will the Mac OS Lion still run as a VM under VirtualBox on my machine given the fact that I have an AMD processor instead of Intel?

Did you install Ubuntu on a separate partition or you installed it via VB?
And as I can see, you are mainly interested in trying Ubuntu than another OS.. Have you ever heard of Wubi?
QuoteWubi is an officially supported Ubuntu installer for Windows users. It can install and uninstall Ubuntu in the same way as any other Windows application. It's simple and safe.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer

I just saw your link. Wubi is truly awesome and were it not for you I would have never known about it. I have 2 questions, (1) in that box where you select the OS you want. can you put Ubuntu 64 bit or does it automatically download the 32bit version, and (2) does Wubi just download or can you use an Ubuntu CD to install the OS? Although the program is surely awesome, unlike VBox it'll only install Ubuntu. I'd like to be able to play around with different OS'es, Ubuntu is only my first choice for now. I just hate being tied down to Windblows due to simple lack of knowledge.

If I can be helpful, I'm happy ;)

You should be happy! You've helped me tremendously! Would you give me the privelege of continuing to pick your brains? I'd be more than happy to post one of my e-mail addresses so you can write me, I just don't know if Maher will allow it. Also, please don't get me wrong, when I first learned DOS many years ago, it took quite a bit of reading and mistake-making until I got the hang of it, and so it goes for the OS'es that followed. This is exactly the same situation -- I want to learn to create virtual boxes, I want to learn Linux, I want to learn (if possible) the Mac OS or any other. Being tied down to 1 OS sux!