• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Self-extracting (SFX) archives "Setup Programs"

Started by Ahmad, February 27, 2012, 11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ahmad

For who don't know about it???
*Self-extracting (SFX) archive is a setup file (.EXE) in which you pack some files to be extracted to a specified path and you can specify jobs to be done before and after file extraction.*

Please, pick one choice and comment below.
Thanks and have a good life.  :) :D
Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.

BLADESHARK

�There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met.�

Ahmad

I wanted to wait until hearing from some, but I decided to post now so as to make it clear for who don't know.

For me, I used to make my .EXE files using WinRAR with some help of CMD <Command Line> for a long time until I heard about Inno Setup and it impressed me. So, I pick Inno Setup.

Making .EXE files with WinRAR is so easy for learning as it doesn't have many things to learn.

I haven't tried 7-ZIP for making .EXE files but I use it for file compression and extraction.

Inno Setup is so huge and it has a great help file you can learn from, but to go deeper in it, you must know about Pascal Scripting <a Programming language which I want to learn about>. But you still can use it without learning Pascal and it's still so big with many features....i.e:
It's a professional setup programs creator.
Actually, most programs we use are created with Inno Setup.

For more info, Visit Inno Setup homepage here:
http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

:D :) I wish you all the best  :) :D

BLADESHARK

pollostar

The self extracting file is a class creates consists of an extraction executable with the data files appended to the end of it.
The data on the end of the file does not effect the executable image and so the file executes as if the data was not even there.

humbert

Quote from: Ahmad on February 27, 2012, 12:55 PM
I wanted to wait until hearing from some, but I decided to post now so as to make it clear for who don't know.
For me, I used to make my .EXE files using WinRAR with some help of CMD <Command Line> for a long time until I heard about Inno Setup and it impressed me. So, I pick Inno Setup.
Making .EXE files with WinRAR is so easy for learning as it doesn't have many things to learn.
I haven't tried 7-ZIP for making .EXE files but I use it for file compression and extraction.
Inno Setup is so huge and it has a great help file you can learn from, but to go deeper in it, you must know about Pascal Scripting <a Programming language which I want to learn about>. But you still can use it without learning Pascal and it's still so big with many features....i.e:
It's a professional setup programs creator.
Actually, most programs we use are created with Inno Setup.

Am I the only Total Commander user here? You can very easily create zip-based, self extracting archives with it. You can also very easily open up a self-extracting archive and extract the individual files, or read them or whatever. It's also like Firefox in the sense that you've got tons of add-ons available for free. I saw and leeched the latest version on the Pirate Bay last night, for whoever's interested.

Ahmad

Quote from: humb25 on February 29, 2012, 08:03 PM
Am I the only Total Commander user here? You can very easily create zip-based, self extracting archives with it. You can also very easily open up a self-extracting archive and extract the individual files, or read them or whatever. It's also like Firefox in the sense that you've got tons of add-ons available for free. I saw and leeched the latest version on the Pirate Bay last night, for whoever's interested.

I haven't tried total commander before.
But, I do NOT mean by my words dealing with archives as many programs do this.

What I mean is making professional executable files like setup programs as this is one of the most interesting things in computer to deal with.

I noticed that you use BoilSoft >>> It's created with Inno Setup.
Also, many programs in the market are created with it like Any Video Converter, Real Alternative, FFDShow, Xvid, Tera Copy, Driver Genius Professional and many many more.

Inno Setup can't extract archives like WinRAR or 7-ZIP as it isn't a program for that.

A hint about Inno Setup features:
It enables you to pack some files into a single executable file ,
Specify where every file to be installed or all of them ,
Specify if you want to delete some files after extraction and doing their jobs.
Create shortcuts or not ,
What action to do before install and after install ,
What registry keys to enter or remove ,
What ini files to create or edit or remove ,
Allow or not allow to change installation path ,

... and you can find more here:
http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

Actually, what I know about it is very little of what it can do as I said before, to completely use all its features, you need to learn about a programming language called Pascal. But without Pascal, you still can make a program like what I've mentioned with all features I've mentioned.

But there is an important feature that doesn't exist in the simple EXE makers like WinRAR or 7-ZIP, and this is >>>  Create uninstaller for your setup program which enables you to uninstall every change you have made with the installer.

After all, Not many people know about making EXE files as it is not important for them as it won't help them in their daily use of computer. But I wanted to know how popular this feature is.

Be well and safe.  :) ;) :D

BLADESHARK

Ohhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So speaking about DAZ loader & KMS are they made using Inno ?

I think so they are!!! :)

Ahmad

Quote from: BLADESHARK on March 02, 2012, 07:58 AM
Ohhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So speaking about DAZ loader & KMS are they made using Inno ?

I think so they are!!! :)

I downloaded them and tried to extract them with Inno Extractor but It said to me that they aren't created with Inno Setup.

Anyway, I think those people don't need Inno to create their activators or loaders.
I think they use the master program makers not that easy Inno which is made for normal users like me !!!   ;D ;D

BTW, If you like this topic <creating setup programs>, there is also a professional program for this function called "IndigoRose Setup Factory". It's like Inno and I see many programs created with it BUT NOT FREE.
So, Inno is better because it's open source and very good.

Take care.  :) :D